Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill hold malfunction in 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019 | 01:03 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Default Hill hold malfunction in 991.2 GT3

Ever since I took delivery of my Touring, the hill "hold" function light has not turned on when on a hill with the brake depressed. I read the manual (page 78) and I am following the instructions for the hill hold to function and it does function - sometimes - but the light never comes on. By contrast, the green "hold" light has always worked like a charm while on an incline in my PDK GTS. Go figure, given that the hill hold function really is not needed in the PDK. I had this issue looked at by Porsche Newport Beach and after three days in the shop, the SA told me that this behavior is "normal" inasmuch as they took my Touring and another Touring out for a test run and both cars' hill hold light failed to go on when on an incline with the brake depressed.

The SA admitted that this is not truly "normal" but they could not figure out why the light does not come on or why the hill hold function sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Of course, this explanation is not going to cut it with me. I know some do not like the hill hold function but I actually like it on steep hills. It would be helpful to know a) that the hill hold function will work consistently and b) that the hill hold is actually working by having the light turn on. It is not a matter of the light not working. The light turns on when I turn on the ignition.

Have other Touring or winged MT 991.2 GT3 owners noticed that the hill hold does not seem to be working as advertised? Any suggestions on how to bump this up to the next level? My plan is to call PCNA and to report the issue. I will also notify the dealership where I purchased the car, Porsche DTLA, about the issue.
Old 10-31-2019 | 01:15 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

I don’t get a light either. I am surprised there is supposed to be a light as none of the other vehicles I have with hill hold have a light. Frankly a light would annoy me. To make it work or at least work better, press the brake harder when coming to a stop. If I roll to a stop or use little brakes, the hill hold does not function. That’s the way it is actually supposed to work as I understand it.
Old 10-31-2019 | 01:16 AM
RS911
Racer

This has been discussed before. There is no “Hold” light for the GT3 and unlike the regular 911s the hold feature will only hold the car for a very short time.
Old 10-31-2019 | 01:20 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Interesting... Let me ask this another way: Is there anyone out there with a manual 991.2 GT3 whose hill "hold" light actually turns on when on an incline and the brake is deployed? Is it possible that Porsche included the hill hold light but that it doesn't actually do anything except for light up on ignition? That seems like a stretch to me. Why would they include the light, front and center in the center analogue gauge, if it did not have a purpose?
Old 10-31-2019 | 01:23 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

RS911 - Technically there is a "Hold" light but I guess you are saying it is just not functional? Why would it function on a PDK car and not on a manual car? Seems bass ackwards to me. The PDK does not even need the hill hold function and its green light, but without fail, the green "hold" light turns on whenever I am on an incline in my PDK but never in my GT3T. Weird.
Old 10-31-2019 | 01:47 AM
silvertige
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
RS911 - Technically there is a "Hold" light but I guess you are saying it is just not functional? Why would it function on a PDK car and not on a manual car? Seems bass ackwards to me. The PDK does not even need the hill hold function and its green light, but without fail, the green "hold" light turns on whenever I am on an incline in my PDK but never in my GT3T. Weird.

You're comparing a PDK GTS to a GT3. Not the same. I had a Carrera S manual and the light would both come on and the hill hold would be quite aggressive in action. The GT3, in contrast, is much less intrusive and, no light on mine as well. I have a manual winged GT3.
Old 10-31-2019 | 01:56 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Never seen he Light in my Touring
Old 10-31-2019 | 02:06 AM
RS911
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
My guess is that Porsche is using the same instrument cluster on all 911s. So even though we have the hold light sign on our cars, the physical bulb is absent on the GT cars.
Old 10-31-2019 | 02:08 AM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

The hold light does not light up in my car either on an incline and when hill hold is active. When I was at PEC LA, the GT3 Touring I drove there also did not light up when the instructor was demonstrating it.
Old 10-31-2019 | 02:18 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Originally Posted by RS911
My guess is that Porsche is using the same instrument cluster on all 911s. So even though we have the hold light sign on our cars, the physical bulb is absent on the GT cars.
That’s what the SA said at Porsche NB as well. The light does work, though. You may notice it illuminate the next time you turn on your ignition. Still going to call PCNA to see if I can find out if the GT powers that be purposefully decided to have the ‘hold’ light not come on when the hill hold activates in the GT3. Thanks for the feedback thus far - very helpful.
Old 10-31-2019 | 08:21 AM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

another gts to gt3 with same question...see my thread about hold function.
conclusion is that the light does not light up like gts
Old 10-31-2019 | 09:28 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

For as detail-oriented as Porsche is, this seems like an oversight to me. I know they have blank buttons in the center console, but this is a light on the dash that actually lights up on ignition and that actually works in other 911s. For it to (for whatever reason) not work as it does in other models seems odd. Keep you posted on what PCNA has to say.
Old 10-31-2019 | 01:07 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

in my touring i do not get a light, but in many hill cases it is definitely engaged. on a few occasions it has also aided in me stalling the car, not being used to the feeling of the car not rolling back at all..

i am now more used to it and know right away when i let off of the brake that it is engaged.

not sure why you need a light when you can feel it doing its job.
Old 10-31-2019 | 03:13 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

zmon - I don't need the light but it is there for a reason....at least in other 911 models. Anyway, sounds like so far we have no 991.2 GT3 MT owners who have noticed the light turn on when hill hold is engaged. I will confirm with PCNA that this is the way it is supposed to be and ask them why it is that way in the GT3 and not in other 911s with hill hold. That may be asking too much but we'll see.
Old 10-31-2019 | 03:55 PM
ThEnder
Advanced

Pretty sure the green hold light is not there to indicate that the hill hold function is active, but rather that the brake hold feature is active for waiting at a red light (as in the "standard" 911/Macan/Panamera) to prevent the car from creeping forward. Manual and PDK GT3s don't creep so there is no reason for the system and light to be active. Hill hold in my touring definitely works (tested many times on SF hills) but there is never a light to indicate that it's on. As others mentioned, duration is also brief.

Quick Reply: Hill hold malfunction in 991.2 GT3