86.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Is PDK a "manual?"

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 09:39 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,461 Likes on 785 Posts

No, a manual means it has a clutch pedal. Maybe millenials want to be cool calling a pdk a manual but its not...... It reminds me of the times i talk about cars to non car people... the best is the guy who has a mercedes who manually shifts in the middle from "1" to "2" to "3" "it faster when I use my manual"
Old 10-13-2019, 10:10 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,016 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
No, a manual means it has a clutch pedal. Maybe millenials want to be cool calling a pdk a manual but its not...... It reminds me of the times i talk about cars to non car people... the best is the guy who has a mercedes who manually shifts in the middle from "1" to "2" to "3" "it faster when I use my manual"
If you shift manually it’s a manual 😀 left foot on brake pedal, right foot on accelerator pedal, hands on the paddle shifter. Optimal manual driving and much greater flexibility. 😀

The conventional single clutch box is derived directly from the Porsche double clutch box 😀. The former has a two levers and one clutch the latter has two clutches and one lever. Both are manual and one has the ability to change automatically if the driver so wishes the other doesn’t.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-13-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:49 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 428 Likes on 255 Posts

What kind of thread is this???
u guys need a therapist if u need to wonder if a chicken might be instead a dog just because living both in a farm
The following 4 users liked this post by fxz:
JAhmed (10-17-2019), Porsch (10-13-2019), Porsche911GTS'16 (10-13-2019), twospyders (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 11:16 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,171 Likes on 568 Posts

This thread has proven even more amusing and thought-provoking than I thought it would. Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know I am in agreement with the vast majority on this one.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:23 PM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts

There are no stupid questions... And this one is close.

Really? There’s manual, automatic, and PDK (paddle). They are distinctly different.

In today’s world we regularly change the meaning of words... Someday maybe this too. Today? Hell no!
Old 10-13-2019, 11:38 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
If you shift manually it’s a manual 😀 left foot on brake pedal, right foot on accelerator pedal, hands on the paddle shifter. Optimal manual driving and much greater flexibility. 😀

The conventional single clutch box is derived directly from the Porsche double clutch box 😀. The former has a two levers and one clutch the latter has two clutches and one lever. Both are manual and one has the ability to change automatically if the driver so wishes the other doesn’t.
Your logic is off base, and I can't help but take the bait. So here goes:

This thread has replies that are big on conjecture and extremely light, to non-existent on facts. Beginning with the logic above, every single automatic transmission including the very first "selec-shift" autos from Dodge, and the whole "tiptronic" auto box in the VAG world would be considered a manual. Seeing as how the 997 market avoids tiptronic cars like the plague, this is obviously not the case. Furthermore, you can "manually shift" any Nissan CVT trans out there, where it does its best rendition to simulate gears. So now, by your logic, we have a manual transmission with no clutch and indeed, NO GEARS. Furthermore, there are other auto boxes that further blur the line. Mercedes has recently been using a standard auto box with planetary gear set, but instead of a fluid coupling (torque converter) it has a more standard clutch setup ahead of the transmission. So now you have a very standard auto box that can do neutral drops just like a PDK.

Next, we need to define what an "automatic" transmission is in the classical sense. This term, used in a derogatory manner in this thread, refers to a standard fluid coupling (torque converter) which feeds a planetary gear set. A manual transmission uses a standard clutch which feeds two gear sets on two shafts (to use a standard generic). In the past, the fluid coupling along with slow engagement of the bands, fewer gears, and high power usage by the trans pump lead to poor performance. This has since been corrected with lock-up converters that lock as soon as the vehicle moves and mechatronics packages that shift faster than the fastest PDK, as well as extreme improvement in design and efficiency. The new 8 speed ZF is a great example of this.

The PDK is based on the two shaft gear set architecture, like a manual, and has a clutch ahead of the box (two, actually). That said, the PDK shares similarities to a standard auto that a manual does not. First of all the clutch bands and friction discs within the PDK clutch pack look like, and are, modified auto box parts. The fluid used is a modified ATF with a different friction modifier package. It has similar hydraulic circuits and uses a mechatronics package as well, obviously. There is a fluid pump, more mechanical power loss due to said pump, and additional cooling needed over a standard manual transmission.

Finally, you aren't "manually" shifting the PDK when you press a button. You're simply instructing the computer to disregard its routines which are superior in both performance and economy scenarios to allow you to select when you want it to: to disengage the A clutch, engage the B clutch, more the shaft A selector to the next gear, match rpm, torque interrupt, etc. These are all things done by the driver in a manual transmission car with rev-match turned off.

I'm not here to debate which is "better." They are both excellent, excellent machines. Better is merely a personal decision for each enthusiast.
The following 2 users liked this post by A418t81:
bergx7 (10-14-2019), Porsche911GTS'16 (10-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 12:04 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,473 Posts

Is a Beyond Burger beef?
Old 10-14-2019, 12:16 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,171 Likes on 568 Posts

A418t81- wow, you know your transmissions. Thanks for teaching me something. I agree with you that both the Porsche MT and PDK are outstanding gear boxes. I am fortunate to have one of each. Best of both worlds. I too am not arguing their brilliance, nor am I interested in saying one is better than the other. I am blown away by both each time I drive my cars.
The following users liked this post:
A418t81 (10-15-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 12:41 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,965 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
What kind of thread is this???
u guys need a therapist if u need to wonder if a chicken might be instead a dog just because living both in a farm
I think you're doing that weird translating in your mind again.. which, can seem confused for all those on the outside of it.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:49 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Wait. So I guess Porsche does have a manual gt3rs 991. At least according to 19 people.

fk-tards
Old 10-14-2019, 03:59 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Wait. So I guess Porsche does have a manual gt3rs 991. At least according to 19 people.

fk-tards
Quality - riposte, so few words such little insight.

Typical track question from fellow Porsche owners and other drivers - "do you run in manual and change your own cogs or run in auto" answer "if its wet I generally shift myself, if its a road course bit of both".

Real world reality remains the same, if you are shifting yourself - its manual
Old 10-14-2019, 04:07 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by A418t81
Your logic is off base, and I can't help but take the bait. So here goes:

This thread has replies that are big on conjecture and extremely light, to non-existent on facts. Beginning with the logic above, every single automatic transmission including the very first "selec-shift" autos from Dodge, and the whole "tiptronic" auto box in the VAG world would be considered a manual. Seeing as how the 997 market avoids tiptronic cars like the plague, this is obviously not the case. Furthermore, you can "manually shift" any Nissan CVT trans out there, where it does its best rendition to simulate gears. So now, by your logic, we have a manual transmission with no clutch and indeed, NO GEARS. Furthermore, there are other auto boxes that further blur the line. Mercedes has recently been using a standard auto box with planetary gear set, but instead of a fluid coupling (torque converter) it has a more standard clutch setup ahead of the transmission. So now you have a very standard auto box that can do neutral drops just like a PDK.

Next, we need to define what an "automatic" transmission is in the classical sense. This term, used in a derogatory manner in this thread, refers to a standard fluid coupling (torque converter) which feeds a planetary gear set. A manual transmission uses a standard clutch which feeds two gear sets on two shafts (to use a standard generic). In the past, the fluid coupling along with slow engagement of the bands, fewer gears, and high power usage by the trans pump lead to poor performance. This has since been corrected with lock-up converters that lock as soon as the vehicle moves and mechatronics packages that shift faster than the fastest PDK, as well as extreme improvement in design and efficiency. The new 8 speed ZF is a great example of this.

The PDK is based on the two shaft gear set architecture, like a manual, and has a clutch ahead of the box (two, actually). That said, the PDK shares similarities to a standard auto that a manual does not. First of all the clutch bands and friction discs within the PDK clutch pack look like, and are, modified auto box parts. The fluid used is a modified ATF with a different friction modifier package. It has similar hydraulic circuits and uses a mechatronics package as well, obviously. There is a fluid pump, more mechanical power loss due to said pump, and additional cooling needed over a standard manual transmission.

Finally, you aren't "manually" shifting the PDK when you press a button. You're simply instructing the computer to disregard its routines which are superior in both performance and economy scenarios to allow you to select when you want it to: to disengage the A clutch, engage the B clutch, more the shaft A selector to the next gear, match rpm, torque interrupt, etc. These are all things done by the driver in a manual transmission car with rev-match turned off.

I'm not here to debate which is "better." They are both excellent, excellent machines. Better is merely a personal decision for each enthusiast.
Good try - however PDK is not a torque converter or CVT BTW Tiptroinc uses a torque converter too (instead of a clutch).

"In the PDK, the gears are distributed between two separate clutches. ... Similar to a manual shifter, the individual gears are selected using shift forks; in the PDK system, it's done through computer-aided electrohydraulics. The result is a synthesis of manual and automatic shifting."

Lifted straight from Porsche https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2019...pdk-18768.html

Fun thread

Last edited by groundhog; 10-14-2019 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:30 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 403 Likes on 209 Posts

A PDK box is a DCT(Dual clutch transmission) which is neither a Manual or an Auto..An auto is either a TC or CVT and totally different to a Manual..There are three different type of gearboxes which are Manual,DCT and Auto which quite simply means than no one above is correct and PDK is neither.
This is arguing over nothing and has no end, a bit like politicians debating the pros and cons of Brexit.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:53 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Taffy66
A PDK box is a DCT(Dual clutch transmission) which is neither a Manual or an Auto..An auto is either a TC or CVT and totally different to a Manual..There are three different type of gearboxes which are Manual,DCT and Auto which quite simply means than no one above is correct and PDK is neither.
This is arguing over nothing and has no end, a bit like politicians debating the pros and cons of Brexit.
Well either way, PDK is a different form of of manual transmission AND a different form of automatic. Its simply a different form and thats the point (and very different from CVT or torque converters). From an engineering POV its very much like a conventional manual gear box and the clutch is the key link in tranferring rotation from engine to wheels via gears. The PDK simply has two clutches which are electrohydraulically activated whereas the conventional manual has just one clutch assembly that is activated by foot control (by activating a hydraulic fork which pushes out the throw out bearing against middle of the diaphragm spring, pushing it in and pushing the pressure plate away from the clutch disk - bobs your uncle you have achieved separation).

Two clutches Vs one
Electro-hydraulic activated Vs foot triggered hydraulic fork
Effectively two manual transmissions in one box Vs one manual transmission in one box

Last edited by groundhog; 10-14-2019 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 343 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Is PDK a "manual?"
LMAO
The following users liked this post:
JAhmed (10-17-2019)

Quick Reply: Is PDK a "manual?"