Sponsored by:

Change GT3 rear to GT3 touring

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 06:26 PM
merc5326
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
If some people have converted a GT3 to a Touring then to simply satisfy my curiosity, I would like to know how they have done it because as you can see by these two photo, the cooling fans and the induction vents under the engine cover are in completely different places. I am also told that the ECU tuning is different to allow for the different induction paths and lack of ram air effect.

I absolutely love the wing, it's quintessential GT3, but I've always thought another cool look would be a lid that maintains the two black scoops minus the wing and/or why they didn't do that from the factory for the touring. It seems, from a production standpoint it would've been more cost effective, in other words no difference in fan and induction vent placement. Those awesome scoops would still be present and it would be a lot easier to interchange.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:34 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Holdens
Or a gt3rs with sofas. I think those wings are easier to remove.
Winner chicken dinner.

Buy sofas for an RS if money isn't an issue.

Way better idea.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:11 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by merc5326
I absolutely love the wing, it's quintessential GT3, but I've always thought another cool look would be a lid that maintains the two black scoops minus the wing and/or why they didn't do that from the factory for the touring. It seems, from a production standpoint it would've been more cost effective, in other words no difference in fan and induction vent placement. Those awesome scoops would still be present and it would be a lot easier to interchange.
I'm sure there is a reason that didn't happen, aero or handling. They know what they're doing.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:07 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
If some people have converted a GT3 to a Touring then to simply satisfy my curiosity, I would like to know how they have done it because as you can see by these two photo, the cooling fans and the induction vents under the engine cover are in completely different places. I am also told that the ECU tuning is different to allow for the different induction paths and lack of ram air effect.

Good also need the touring wing, motors, not even sure if the wiring harness is setup for the motors and lift button on the dash?
Old 10-04-2019, 02:09 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 574 Posts

The wiring harness would also have to be modified to accommodate for the deployable rear spoiler. Ultimately, yes, converting a winged GT3 to a Touring is doable but I think it would be more cost-effective and time-efficient to buy a Touring rather than to modify a winged GT3.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:16 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rockrdude
Hey guys is this possible?

My dad fell in love with the GT3 touring. He has other cars so I'm not too worried about comfort since he wants something special. I've been looking around and there aren't many for sale up here in the great white north. The other problem is my dad is 75 and I don't see him using the Bucket seats so it would have to be a car that has 18 way or normal seats at least. so that narrows down the possible cars a lot.

So... would it be possible to get a normal GT3, even with PDK, remove the wing and install the GT3 touring engine cover and wing?

Thanks
Just remove the wing from a winged car.

At 75, I doubt he would push the driving envelope where the missing aero would affect him or hurt the engine intake
Old 10-05-2019, 07:32 AM
NDGal
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
why didn’t more of you just order a Touring?!
I remember when rumors and the first spy pictures of the touring test mule came out, most where knocking on the Touring idea saying things like: “It is not a real GT3 without a wing” and “Porsche is diluting the GT3” etc. etc. Funny how now the Touring is in higher demand and people are looking to convert their winged GT3 to a Touring... If one ever does do that, they’ll always have the winged GT3 silhouette on the dash to remind them they should have checked the Touring option when they spec’d the car...

I bet that if/when a 992 GT3 Touring comes out, there will be a much bigger number of them ordered vs. the 991.2 generation.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (10-05-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 08:57 AM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Can you just put the rear deck lid of a RS on a winged GT three and leave it at that, remove the wing off the RS lid. I think the RS looks great without the wing.
Or better yet just buy an RS and remove the wing it's easy to take that off.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:01 AM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by maspirito
Can you just put the rear deck lid of a RS on a winged GT three and leave it at that,...

Nope. The RS rear deck is plumbed completely differently re. intake airflow. The RS has combustion air supplied by the side fender inlets, and the deck exhausts air. Completely opposite of the standard GT3 deck. You've have to pull the back bumper and change all the intake plumbing and filter box and everything. And have to figure out where to get the intake air, since the regular GT3 doesn't have the side intakes.

Alternative:

The Cup rear deck has the RS-style removable wing uprights, but has the forward-facing air intakes like a regular GT3. Solves the problem.
The following users liked this post:
BerlinDaniel (09-23-2023)
Old 10-05-2019, 10:27 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

RS also has much stiffer springs and rose jointed suspension, so don’t know if his 75 year old dad is going to like that compared to softer ride in the Touring
Old 10-05-2019, 02:00 PM
RS911
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Plyler
Alternative:

The Cup rear deck has the RS-style removable wing uprights, but has the forward-facing air intakes like a regular GT3. Solves the problem.
The GT2 RS rear deck should work as well, but note they are ridiculously expensive.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by NDGal
I remember when rumors and the first spy pictures of the touring test mule came out, most where knocking on the Touring idea saying things like: “It is not a real GT3 without a wing” and “Porsche is diluting the GT3” etc. etc. Funny how now the Touring is in higher demand and people are looking to convert their winged GT3 to a Touring... If one ever does do that, they’ll always have the winged GT3 silhouette on the dash to remind them they should have checked the Touring option when they spec’d the car...

I bet that if/when a 992 GT3 Touring comes out, there will be a much bigger number of them ordered vs. the 991.2 generation.
i’m sure you’re right
Old 10-05-2019, 05:27 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by NDGal

An Iphone like 992 touring?? Too much panamera cockpit and rear style to check the Touring option, a modern electric turbo or even an hybrid would match better the 992 package but we know the geniuses at PAG get it always later than their buyers

Quick Reply: Change GT3 rear to GT3 touring