Sponsored by:

Trying to get back in, input please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 07:18 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
wow tough crowd here!! OP said "Although I can afford this, I do need to be careful with my funds." I take that to mean he is just being cautious to not pay more than he needs to, and is asking if his offer is fair.
The fact that he has been in 2 financial situations previously and has had to dump a car is what I'm reacting to. Obviously in the past he's been able to afford it at the time....chances are he'll be down the same road again. Plenty of cars under 100K you can have a ton of fun with and not stress over the finances....
Old 10-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
wow tough crowd here!! OP said "Although I can afford this, I do need to be careful with my funds." I take that to mean he is just being cautious to not pay more than he needs to, and is asking if his offer is fair.

Maybe so, and if I was wrong in my assessment, I hope it wasn't found offensive.

To me, the word "afford" doesn't just mean I can pay for something. It means I can pay for something without sacrificing my other long term financial goals, like retirement, kids' college, etc.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:32 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by redlightrich
Hello all, the last several years have been tough on my business. This has caused me to sell my 15 GT3 ( motor car that I waited 19 months for). Then I felt a blip, then bought a 16 GT3, which was built to my spec. Unfortunately that too had to go as the blip was short lived.

Anyway, almost 4 years later, I have my personal affairs in a better place, although business will not ever recover. Changing world.

I have been lucky and owned many interesting cars, although none spoke to me like the GT3.

I have recently found a 16 for sale. Not a great color( based on public opinion, but I like it) , and 6000 miles, 3 registered owners, with many dealers also having possession? It has FAL and some other meaningless options. Stock wheels, steel brakes, so on. Warranty close to over.

I do not track, but I do love spirited drives.

Although I can afford this, I do need to be careful with my funds. Their ask is 138k. It has been sitting for a long time.

Is my offer of 126k realistic? If it is much more than that, I would have to wait it out. I do apologize, as I know the sentiment towards value threads, but this is a little different.

I am a little clueless, as after I sold my 16, I stopped coming here, as I wanted to keep it out of my mind.

I am aware of benefits of the newer models, but the 2016 sure was enough for me.

I also know a special car shouldn't be a life priority, but heck, I need something to energize me!!!!

Thank you and kind regards

Rich
you have set your budget which I think is wise, only you know what "afford" really means from your perspective. Winter is coming for us in the NE, if it has been sitting for a while I'd be tempted to wait it out. if you are not going to track the car I would also at least test drive a GTS.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:40 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 209 Posts

On one hand, $126k (pounds?) sounds reasonable and if the $$ is a psychological obstacle (as it was for me, how is any car worth that much, my parents would kill me if they knew, asian frugality, etc) but not an absolute obstacle, then go for it. On the other hand, if the purchase of the GT3 could have any material effect on your business, rainy day fund, retirement, etc. then perhaps a 997 GT3 or 991.1 GTS may be a better choice.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:41 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,102 Posts

I love it when Rennlist turns into a financial advising forum. My take is tomorrow is not guaranteed, but is likely, so plan for tomorrow but live for today. Some people on here can buy a GT3 without much financial concern, others have to save a long time and finance their purchase to do so. Neither way is right. If you are driving and enjoying your car that is what matters.

My take on the subject is a 991 GT3 is not going to tank $30k overnight unless the market goes really down and even then it wouldn’t go down that much. If in a year you decide you would rather have the cash the majority of your money will be there.

$126k on a $138k car sounds like a lot for them to come down. $126k does sound like a reasonable price though for that car in question depending on other options. The obsessed garage car is a good option too.

Buy the car and enjoy. The fact that you are asking the question shows you are a responsible individual.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:04 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I love it when Rennlist turns into a financial advising forum. My take is tomorrow is not guaranteed, but is likely, so plan for tomorrow but live for today. Some people on here can buy a GT3 without much financial concern, others have to save a long time and finance their purchase to do so. Neither way is right. If you are driving and enjoying your car that is what matters.

My take on the subject is a 991 GT3 is not going to tank $30k overnight unless the market goes really down and even then it wouldn’t go down that much. If in a year you decide you would rather have the cash the majority of your money will be there.

$126k on a $138k car sounds like a lot for them to come down. $126k does sound like a reasonable price though for that car in question depending on other options. The obsessed garage car is a good option too.

Buy the car and enjoy. The fact that you are asking the question shows you are a responsible individual.
Lol everyone in an expert on finances here
Old 10-03-2019, 10:28 PM
jaredwayt
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello all, the last several years have been tough on my business. This has caused me to sell my 15 GT3 ( motor car that I waited 19 months for). Then I felt a blip, then bought a 16 GT3, which was built to my spec. Unfortunately that too had to go as the blip was short lived.

Anyway, almost 4 years later, I have my personal affairs in a better place, although business will not ever recover. Changing world.

I have been lucky and owned many interesting cars, although none spoke to me like the GT3.

I have recently found a 16 for sale. Not a great color( based on public opinion, but I like it) , and 6000 miles, 3 registered owners, with many dealers also having possession? It has FAL and some other meaningless options. Stock wheels, steel brakes, so on. Warranty close to over.

Although I can afford this, I do need to be careful with my funds. Their ask is 138k. It has been sitting for a long time.

Is my offer of 126k realistic? If it is much more than that, I would have to wait it out. I do apologize, as I know the sentiment towards value threads, but this is a little different.

I am a little clueless, as after I sold my 16, I stopped coming here, as I wanted to keep it out of my mind.

I am aware of benefits of the newer models, but the 2016 sure was enough for me.

I also know a special car shouldn't be a life priority, but heck, I need something to energize me!!!!

Rich
Don't listen to any of this advice!

...Buy the Obsessed Garage GT3! its the best buy of a GT3 on the market right now, and pocket the extra 28k, its a Win-Win!
Old 10-03-2019, 11:00 PM
Mattyrae
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Rich
Money in the bank energizes me. 😉
Old 10-03-2019, 11:22 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Here's the simple answer. You definitely want it and have justified it to yourself already. If it were me I'd buy it. If things got tight then I would do what I have to do. Second job, sell the car, work more hours on/in my business that sort of thing. Not the end of the World. You only live once and tomorrow is not guaranteed.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:39 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 419 Posts

You live once and risk it well. Never overthink.
The following users liked this post:
sanyata (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 12:31 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

If I understand you right, you have allocated $126K for this purpose. You can use it on a GT3, blow it all in Vegas/Brazil or whatever. You could reinvest in your business, but it seems that wouldn’t help because of the macro issues.

I guess this is for your mental health.

If so, make your stop $115-120K they will be there this winter. Dealers have stock and people are over levered. But, get the one you love because you have grinded for it.
joejenie (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 01:49 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

Get a 991.1 GT3RS, less depreciation, and an RS is an RS. 4.0L race engine, beautiful presence (I like it more than my .2 GT3RS).

If resale is a factor, get a 997.2 GT3RS 3.8 before they become $250k cars.

Nobody wants a 991.1 GT3 despite of the 10y engine warranty, the ghosts of an engine blow-up and matching carfax record make them hard to move unless you drop the price a lot. 991.1 GT3s are $105k cars not $140k cars.

The .1 RS at $155k-$160k is a fun deal, and CPO gets you until 2022 for warranty.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:12 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Thank you all who offered advice. I do like the blue one shown by first poster.

My last 2 GT3s, I sold back to the dealer who sold them to me. I received 100% of my purchase price ( minus tax and tags) as they were in super high demand then. I am a very responsible person, which is why I am careful.

I do find the financial advice both kind, and humorous though. I never said I was eating cat food in order to consider this ;-) This is one of the reasons I love Rennlist. You never know what you may read!!

I do love the GT3 though. This car does everything I like well. Is it the fastest? No. Best handling? No again, but the total package is by far the most satisfying, while not being a cantankerous machine.

But, we all know this, which is why we are here!!!

Again, thank you all for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the input.

Rich
Old 10-04-2019, 10:27 AM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

So call the dude selling the blue OG one, and go get it. New engine with 10-year, 120k mile engine warranty? Thank-you Mam, may I have another?!?!?!
Old 10-04-2019, 08:43 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 707 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
Nobody wants a 991.1 GT3 despite of the 10y engine warranty.
My eyes just rolled back so rapidly that it was actually audible.
jaredwayt (10-08-2019)

Quick Reply: Trying to get back in, input please.