Sponsored by:

GT3 vs ZR1 - More observations...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 09:30 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by horns
Took the plunge. Can you share who you got your warranty through and contact info?
Congrats! From the dealer. Dublin in Cali.

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Rob,

I suggest two mods for you:

1 - Akrapovic full titanium exhaust. This will yield 43.2 lbs of weight savings, it will give you decent 25hp, and it sounds insane. No comparison to GT3, maybe that JPL exhaust.

2- MGW shifter. Its like bolt action, made in USA, and will fix 4-5-6 vagueness. It is great and a step above the shifter found in 991.2 GT3. The GT3 shifter still has a plastic feel to it. MGW is all CNC metal, pure art.

Another optional mod is a set of HRE wheels. Stock wheels in ZR1 are spun forged. They weigh 30 lbs. Stock tires are run flat. They weigh 5 lbs more per corner. If you invest in a set of HREs and non run flat tires, you will drop 60 lbs of unsprung mass. Coupled with akra, you are now in 3400 lbs range which for 800 hp/750 torque, and manual, pretty spectacular. No other car in the world that matches those specs and has a manual transmission.
Thanks for those tips! Was thinking the Corsa X pipe, but i will check out Akra. Checking out the shifter now. Wheels down the road!

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt

The only one i drive now.
Okay that thing is sinister.

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I honestly dont think there is a car on the planet right now that can tick as many boxes as ZR1.

what rob hasnt mentioned is you can take the top off and have a convertible with this car. Its incredible.
I would not sell my GT3 for it, but it is one insane machine for the money. In my first thread i mentioned the top.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:45 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Good review at Road Atlanta. Matt’s reaction says it all.

The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (10-03-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 10:09 PM
horns
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Congrats! From the dealer. Dublin in Cali.

I would not sell my GT3 for it, but it is one insane machine for the money. In my first thread i mentioned the top.
Thanks. I am considering letting my GT3 go now.

A couple points of my own.

1) The GT3 throttle response is more crisp. I haven't used track mode in the ZR1 yet, so maybe that will change things. It just feels like off on transitions are a little filtered compared to the GT3.

2) The Comp seats are like the GT3 sofas. Nothing like the GT3 buckets.

3) ZR1 feels like the seating position is higher, so getting in and out is easier if that is important to someone.

4) The GT3 interior feels more spacious. A lot more headroom, but both are fine for me

5) The ZR1 feels much more racecar to me because it is less refined.

6) Stock vs stock the ZR1 sounds way meaner. Not even close to me The stock GT3 exhaust is boring until the valves open. The ZR1 sounds angry at any rpm/load if in the Track exhaust setting.

7) This should be part of 6), but it deserves it's own line. The initial sound in Track exhaust mode on startup is utterly ridiculous for a stock system. I haven't heard any videos on YouTube that do it justice.

8) The ZR1 acceleration in 4th gear feels about like the GT3 in 2nd gear. For the street the ZR1 is more fun. You dont have to ring its neck to get it to move and it always sounds good.

9) GT3 feels much more solid overall with clearly nicer materials and finish, but I fully expect that for the price difference.

10) The GT3 and RS look understated next to the ZR1. I expect that ZR1 will attract more attention if that matters.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:34 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Thanks. I am considering letting my GT3 go now.

A couple points of my own.

1) The GT3 throttle response is more crisp. I haven't used track mode in the ZR1 yet, so maybe that will change things. It just feels like off on transitions are a little filtered compared to the GT3.

2) The Comp seats are like the GT3 sofas. Nothing like the GT3 buckets.

3) ZR1 feels like the seating position is higher, so getting in and out is easier if that is important to someone.

4) The GT3 interior feels more spacious. A lot more headroom, but both are fine for me

5) The ZR1 feels much more racecar to me because it is less refined.

6) Stock vs stock the ZR1 sounds way meaner. Not even close to me The stock GT3 exhaust is boring until the valves open. The ZR1 sounds angry at any rpm/load if in the Track exhaust setting.

7) This should be part of 6), but it deserves it's own line. The initial sound in Track exhaust mode on startup is utterly ridiculous for a stock system. I haven't heard any videos on YouTube that do it justice.

8) The ZR1 acceleration in 4th gear feels about like the GT3 in 2nd gear. For the street the ZR1 is more fun. You dont have to ring its neck to get it to move and it always sounds good.

9) GT3 feels much more solid overall with clearly nicer materials and finish, but I fully expect that for the price difference.

10) The GT3 and RS look understated next to the ZR1. I expect that ZR1 will attract more attention if that matters.
Can’t disagree with anything you’ve said. Spot on.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:09 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Cup2's that come on the vettes, never really come upto temp on the road so the ZR1 will always feel edgy. On track, it'll work better. Do get the alignment double checked for rear caster to be in spec. That's been an issue.

I haven't tracked a C7 ZR1 but the C6Z and C7Z require you to carry more speed into the corner than what you're used to on your 911. You can get away with it. The 911 will have the exit advantage due to the weight transfer but you can roll a lot of speed into the corner on the vettes and that's where you can find time. Pick a corner or two on a familiar track and get comfortable with it.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:31 AM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by tbutz
Nice post! I can totally relate, my last car was a 2018 ZL1 Camaro that I had exhaust work, intake work and a tune put on it. It was cranking out near 700 HP and a total beast! I tracked it a lot, mostly at Sebring and it was scary fast. My lap times were always around 2:28-2:30 depending on traffic but it felt a whole lot faster due to being scared. Street driving was lots of burn outs, hooliganism and one giant speeding ticket, but lots of fun! I ended up hitting a wall at Daytona on a damp day and just about totaled it. Was not hurt thanks to a good harness and HANS, though it was the end of the car. My 2018 GT3 feels slow compared to the Camaro, though it's like the difference between a chain saw and a scalpel. I have it at the shop right now getting a Fabspeed center delete added along with painting the rims black. Have not been back to the track as my wife has threatened divorce, though hope to track it as soon as the weather cools off this Fall, usually easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Huh? Why would she care about you going to the track? That's not like you're going out on a Friday night to a dance club trolling for young women or something.

I'm considering a divorce anyway. So if my wife tried to dictate any of my choices that would seal my decision on the spot. I'm getting to old to put up with crap anymore. I want my life the way I want it. She can either join in with a smile, or she knows where the door is.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:54 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Christian Plyler
Huh? Why would she care about you going to the track? That's not like you're going out on a Friday night to a dance club trolling for young women or something.

I'm considering a divorce anyway. So if my wife tried to dictate any of my choices that would seal my decision on the spot. I'm getting to old to put up with crap anymore. I want my life the way I want it. She can either join in with a smile, or she knows where the door is.
She is probably concerned for his safety, because she loves him.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,883 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Thanks for the write up rob.

I always feel like I can put down a faster lap in the GT3, and to consistently do so.

But I as always feel like I’m having more fun in the ZR1.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:03 PM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

She is probably concerned for his safety, because she loves him.

Tracking, at least at well run DEs, is in my opinion safer than driving down the highway to get to the track.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:15 PM
horns
Pro

Can’t disagree with anything you’ve said. Spot on.
I owe you a thank you. This isn't my first Corvette, but it has been more than a decade since I've had one. I've casually looked at the ZR1 for awhile now. When the C8 was announced, it pushed me a bit closer, and your commentary led me to start searching. I think the Corvette experience may change a bit from an animal to a bit more composed. And no MT. I like animals and MTs, so now was the time.

To keep things on track, a couple more observation/question.

1) I have PCCBs and I feel like the GT3 brakes need a fair bit more pressure to bite before they warm up. During my delivery road trip with the GT3 I had an extended highway session in the rain in November, and at one point I needed pretty strong braking and there was a brief moment where it felt like nothing was happening when I first hit the brakes. I know they like some heat. Is your experience the same? To be fair I haven't been in any cooler weather with the ZR1 yet.

2) The GT3 sits much nicer. The ZR1 looks like it is almost ready to take advantage of runoff room it knows you will eventually need with its high rider look. It could stand to drop an inch or so at the expense of the splitter.

3) It is probably due in part to the torque, but the ZR1 tires do feel more slippery than the GT3 spec on the road as mentioned a couple posts up.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:29 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,401 Likes on 726 Posts

1) I have PCCBs and I feel like the GT3 brakes need a fair bit more pressure to bite before they warm up. During my delivery road trip with the GT3 I had an extended highway session in the rain in November, and at one point I needed pretty strong braking and there was a brief moment where it felt like nothing was happening when I first hit the brakes. I know they like some heat. Is your experience the same? To be fair I haven't been in any cooler weather with the ZR1 yet.

I have PCCBs on my GT3 and I have not had any of the issues described above and I am in Chicago. Now- I will say that in colder weather they need a little warming up but mine still bite pretty good. I think they are one of the best brakes out there. Porsche, generally, always have more brake than the car needs which is a good philosophy. MY M3, for instance, could use bigger/better brakes in comparison to my GT3
Old 10-02-2019, 12:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Thanks for the write up rob.

I always feel like I can put down a faster lap in the GT3, and to consistently do so.

But I as always feel like I’m having more fun in the ZR1.
That pretty much nails it.

Originally Posted by Christian Plyler
Tracking, at least at well run DEs, is in my opinion safer than driving down the highway to get to the track.
You could be right, but since he mentioned that he had crashed at the track I figure that was her motivation.

I owe you a thank you. This isn't my first Corvette, but it has been more than a decade since I've had one. I've casually looked at the ZR1 for awhile now. When the C8 was announced, it pushed me a bit closer, and your commentary led me to start searching. I think the Corvette experience may change a bit from an animal to a bit more composed. And no MT. I like animals and MTs, so now was the time.

To keep things on track, a couple more observation/question.

2) The GT3 sits much nicer. The ZR1 looks like it is almost ready to take advantage of runoff room it knows you will eventually need with its high rider look. It could stand to drop an inch or so at the expense of the splitter.

3) It is probably due in part to the torque, but the ZR1 tires do feel more slippery than the GT3 spec on the road as mentioned a couple posts up.
Glad my comments helped. Great car! Regarding your comments...

1. I have not noticed any real difference in the two.
2. The ZR1 definitely needs to be lowered!
3. Agree 100%. They need a lot more heat to do their job.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

I have PCCBs on my GT3 and I have not had any of the issues described above and I am in Chicago. Now- I will say that in colder weather they need a little warming up but mine still bite pretty good. I think they are one of the best brakes out there. Porsche, generally, always have more brake than the car needs which is a good philosophy. MY M3, for instance, could use bigger/better brakes in comparison to my GT3
Agree Jimmy. No issues with GT3 pccbs.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:58 PM
horns
Pro

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

There is no denying the PCCB braking capability when they have a bit of heat in them. Even mentioning deterioration when they are cool feels a bit odd for this kind of car, but it is a street car after all. I agree it seems pretty universally understood that Porsche puts plenty of braking in their cars.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:26 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I think Matt's comments say it all.

"Oh my god this car is so fast. F@#k me."

"This is a very, very scary intimidating car if you don't know what you are doing."

Considering he has driven just about every super and hyper car around, that says something.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:18 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Ride height definitely needs to come down. Does this ZR1 have a different or more adjustable suspension setup than the Z06?

Quick Reply: GT3 vs ZR1 - More observations...