Sponsored by:

Removing factory center muffler bracket

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 02:14 PM
FriedEggs
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing factory center muffler bracket

Im wanting to remove the factory center muffler bracket... there's a bolt behind this that to the best of my knowledge is one of 3 or 4 that hold the motor to the motor mount plate.... the bolt is longer than the space between the plate and this crossbar... has anyone had any luck un bolting that bracket and able to get the bolt out and back in? I assume at this point the motor has to be dropped down about 1" to get the clearance under this crossbar? Anyone have any info on this? I can't stand to have a bracket hanging in there that's not doing anything. I know it makes no difference but its just a preference for it to be gone.

Last edited by FriedEggs; 09-11-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:41 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

1) support the bottom of the motor with a piece of wood and a floor jack.
2) there are two nuts, one per dynamic engine mount, loose them
3) Lower the floor jack slowly until you can pull that 3rd bolt from the exhaust center support plate. As much as the engine drops, it cannot drop entirely, as that requires removing axles, cross members, hoses, transmission mount, etc.

You'll save 2.4 lbs.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:02 PM
FriedEggs
Track Day

Wow awesome info... so its the 2 nuts on each motor mount? I assume i also have to unbolt the remaining 3 bolts (2 also hold the exhaust bracket on and 1 is independent)? Once i get the bolt out and back in i jack it back up till its re aligns with the hole then re tighten the motor mount nuts?
Old 09-11-2019, 07:04 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Isn't this a safety and design thing? Wouldn't you void your warranty or be messing with the dynamics by doing this?
Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 PM
FriedEggs
Track Day

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
Isn't this a safety and design thing? Wouldn't you void your warranty or be messing with the dynamics by doing this?
Its removing the bracket that holds the center muffler on the car which is no longer there. Now that the bracket for the center muffler is gone and the bracket is not being used I would like to remove it bs leaving it there doing nothing.

Quick Reply: Removing factory center muffler bracket