Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS Weissach carbon arb link broken

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 07:47 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Ok Ok sorry I tought you were saying that there were some actual carbon sway bar that broke as I broke the drop link but was wondering if the actual sway bar was also weak
Old 09-09-2019, 07:51 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Looking at the pictures the sway bar end is different compared to a non carbon one

Does anyone know if the adjustable drop links made for the normal gt3 would fit?
Old 09-09-2019, 08:07 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 455 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Maxi_z
Looking at the pictures the sway bar end is different compared to a non carbon one
If you want to replace, I recommend you buy the non-WP 3RS ones instead.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:34 PM
FogCitySF
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Was the car corner balanced? Corner balancing without drop links can increase the pre-load on the sway bar and coupled with the car being lowered and higher g-loads, might have resulted in a failure. Admittedly, I think carbon sway bars are pretty cool, so personally I would just get 'em covered until warranty expires then can switch out for drop links/std metal sway if keeps cropping up as an issue.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:43 AM
Maxi_z
Racer

Originally Posted by FogCitySF
Was the car corner balanced? Corner balancing without drop links can increase the pre-load on the sway bar and coupled with the car being lowered and higher g-loads, might have resulted in a failure. Admittedly, I think carbon sway bars are pretty cool, so personally I would just get 'em covered until warranty expires then can switch out for drop links/std metal sway if keeps cropping up as an issue.
The car was not corner balanced but was lowered and geometry adjusted for track but after that only used a few hundred miles on street.

What you say makes sense but still Manthey and others lower the cars with oem drop links and you should expect the carbon ones to be as resistant as the metal ones.... if they are not then it s not a real upgrade but another thing that limits how you can use and adjust the car...
Old 09-10-2019, 08:53 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

The car was not corner balanced but was lowered and geometry adjusted for track but after that only used a few hundred miles on street.

What you say makes sense but still Manthey and others lower the cars with oem drop links and you should expect the carbon ones to be as resistant as the metal ones.... if they are not then it s not a real upgrade but another thing that limits how you can use and adjust the car...
The metal ones break too. I had a set break on a 996 GT3 I had while on track before. Car was lowered and aligned for the track before going out to Road Atlanta. That was years ago so I don't remember where it broke on track but I do remember the handling got funky while on track. The solution that never broke again was to add adjustable endlinks to the suspension. This allowed them to be the proper length without putting preload on the bars with the lowered setup.

Another data point is to read through this 997 thread. The car in question hasn't been on track but the suspension started acting funny. Turns out one of the sway bar end links was bent and best guess is where he was driving it on the street caused too much stress on the endlink while going over a curb, out a steep driveway, etc. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-collapse.html

So I have a 991.2 WP GT3RS and I do feel that overtime it will be interesting to see how the carbon bars do hold up. I do know that if I lower my RS any I will probably add adjustable endlinks on the car to make sure it is setup properly.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Maxi_z
Racer

Do you think that the adjustable links could fit with the weissach carbon sway bars that are different at their end?
Old 09-10-2019, 12:59 PM
A/S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 131 Posts

I have adjusted these CF drop links a lot of times already.

My car rides higher than stock at the back, and there is a tad of preload back there. I'm dropping rear ride to stock, so preload should not be a problem.

My front is lowered 8mm and there is just a little of preload, nothing critical. But as cars lean hard and go over bumps, these drop links take a beating. I would not be surprised if I break a CF link, because I have bended or broken drop links before (the steel ones), except the sturdy and adjustable ones (Tarett).

However, adding a steel drop link could make the anti-sway CF bar the weak link, and I doubt warranty will cover a new anti-sway $$$ carbon sway bar if aftermarket drop links are being used.

A few experienced track guys advised on this possibly happening, and it is happening. Porsche doesn't seem to test their stuff that much, or they are relying too much on Chinese manufacturing.

I have a pair of stock steel links sitting around, I will measure and compare them to the stock CF WP links on the front axle at some point next week, as I would like to have a spare handy in case of breakage.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

I was worried about that with WP, Besides I don’t love the look and price.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

What is the list price of the carbon drop links?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:01 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

They cost about 900 euros without tax in europe
Old 09-11-2019, 12:07 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Originally Posted by A/S
However, adding a steel drop link could make the anti-sway CF bar the weak link
Yes I also tought about that as we don t know how strong are the sway bars but I would say that they are still a stronger part and if they work as intended they should not brake

I asked Manthey and they say they did not had any failures with the weissach links but they also say that with the standard suspension they don t lower the cars weissach or not

I was surprised as if you see on youtube and pictures there are some 991.2 gt3 rs that look to be lower than standard and they lowered my 991.1 gt3

BTW I will probably put the car back to standard ride or close to it

I spoke with Tarett and they can probably do some link that would work with the carbon weissach pack
Old 09-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

I asked Manthey and they say they did not had any failures with the weissach links but they also say that with the standard suspension they don t lower the cars weissach or not

I was surprised as if you see on youtube and pictures there are some 991.2 gt3 rs that look to be lower than standard and they lowered my 991.1 gt3

BTW I will probably put the car back to standard ride or close to it

I spoke with Tarett and they can probably do some link that would work with the carbon weissach pack
No way that's true.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:43 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

BTW they say they don t lower cars with standard suspension but they lower them if fitted with Manthey KW coilovers and other parts

But I don t know if that s true or if they only do not lower Weissach pack cars
Old 09-11-2019, 07:08 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by carbondan
I totally agree. I'm certain it'll be covered under warranty. Just hope it doesn't prove to be a widespread issue. I've been considering getting one for myself.
Good point! Hopefully this is just a bad part from the parts bin and not too serious.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS Weissach carbon arb link broken