Sponsored by:

What will sell this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 12:37 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by maroli
Man, if you were offered 160-something, I'd take that and run if I were you. Not that it isn't a fantastic car but PDK cars are piling up and people are selling cars with low miles for 20k less than MSRP.
not that I'm actively searching but feels like there are almost as many manuals available as PDK. My guess would be many opted for the MT to additionally protect resale based on the crazy hype and demand for the R since the manual returned as an option, whether or not they really wanted the GT3 and/or MT. Especially cars that are PTS and/or CXX for sale

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones
I haven't really followed the .2 cars closely, but I do think the amount of .1 cars being offered, and being sold around 100-115k, are impacting the .2 prices. It seems as though the .1 engine replacement and subsequent warranty is actually a selling point.

I anticipate the .1 GT3 selling prices to be in the high 80's to mid 90's in the next ~18 months. It's hard to believe since GT4's are holding, but I think a few variables will drop them another 10-20%, at which point, I think they will stabilize.

To clarify, I am talking about low optioned cars with miles...
nah.... it's the C8

definitely interesting to see .2 prices suppressed compared to the past in comparison with 991.1. PAG attacked flipper crap head-on after the fact by pumping them out & back to back to back with the models

Old 09-10-2019, 01:14 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
PAG attacked flipper crap head-on after the fact by pumping them out & back to back to back with the models
Old 09-10-2019, 02:06 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
not that I'm actively searching but feels like there are almost as many manuals available as PDK. My guess would be many opted for the MT to additionally protect resale based on the crazy hype and demand for the R since the manual returned as an option, whether or not they really wanted the GT3 and/or MT. Especially cars that are PTS and/or CXX for sale
Fair point, when I look at autotrader, there are approximately equal number of total cars in manual vs PDK...but PDK appears to carry a steeper discount by $5-10k.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:44 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

The title of the thread was 'what will sell this thing' - does that strike you as someone who, for whatever reason, can't part with their car because they're enjoying it too much?
True - He does go on to say he questioned selling it and then decided to keep it. Plus he doesnt need the cash?

Maybe GT3-land is one where you dont consider that the car may depreciate, so you just buy it. Whether you really wanted it or not.

Well reality is setting in for everyone. Good for Porsche for producing enough to go around.

Buy it to enjoy or its not the smartest financial decision. Although if it were a TT or a boat it would have cost him a lot more to "flip".

Old 09-10-2019, 02:56 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Fair point, when I look at autotrader, there are approximately equal number of total cars in manual vs PDK...but PDK appears to carry a steeper discount by $5-10k.
yep, and the counterpoint would be PDK will appeal to a broader audience than MT as PDK is pick up and go. MT, inevitably some, not all, will question their MT skills/money shift/will it work in traffic or be too nuanced to enjoy/is my left leg up for the task as light as the clutch is etc...

Originally Posted by rodsky
True - He does go on to say he questioned selling it and then decided to keep it. Plus he doesnt need the cash?

Maybe GT3-land is one where you dont consider that the car may depreciate, so you just buy it. Whether you really wanted it or not.

Well reality is setting in for everyone. Good for Porsche for producing enough to go around.

Buy it to enjoy or its not the smartest financial decision. Although if it were a TT or a boat it would have cost him a lot more to "flip".
agreed, all non-limited cars should depreciate and will force people only to buy cars they intend to drive and enjoy, and only for those who can really afford said car. none of the hyperfocus on resale/value and maybe even an ADM free world

Quick Reply: What will sell this thing?