Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello! (And lithium battery experiences)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 05:58 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Having my local P-car dealer install my Antigravity 40 Ah battery while in for service today.
Crazy how light they are when handling...
Old 08-27-2019, 06:36 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

What's the weight loss with the Antigravity compared to factory .2 GT3 battery? US Spec
Old 08-27-2019, 06:56 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by carbondan
What's the weight loss with the Antigravity compared to factory .2 GT3 battery? US Spec
About 35 lbs
The following users liked this post:
carbondan (08-27-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 06:18 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 24 Posts

My Porsche mechanic told me to stay away from Lithium batteries. He specifically mentioned a couple of his customers having issues and going back to traditional batteries.

He said that they can overcharge and become dangerous, or just shut off to protect themselves. He mentioned this can happen on long road trips which is a pain when it happens. This flies in direct opposition to what others have told me about the batteries. I am aware that the Battery Management System is where the rubber meets the road for this style of battery, so I would imagine that the software takes this into account. All the posts here would show this is a nice improvement to the traditional Lead-Acid technology.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:28 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by jdrake
My Porsche mechanic told me to stay away from Lithium batteries. He specifically mentioned a couple of his customers having issues and going back to traditional batteries.

He said that they can overcharge and become dangerous, or just shut off to protect themselves. He mentioned this can happen on long road trips which is a pain when it happens. This flies in direct opposition to what others have told me about the batteries. I am aware that the Battery Management System is where the rubber meets the road for this style of battery, so I would imagine that the software takes this into account. All the posts here would show this is a nice improvement to the traditional Lead-Acid technology.
Well the lithium batteries that Porsche sold themselves were crap, which likely influenced his opinion.

i installed the 30A antigravity battery in my .2 GT3 and it works great, no issues
The following 3 users liked this post by Drifting:
iphilips (08-31-2019), Porsche911GTS'16 (08-31-2019), Vintage72 (08-31-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 10:12 PM
Johnny Five
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 195 Posts

I got the H6 40AH and it’s awesome. I weighed it at 16 lbs vs 46 for OEM. Plug and play, car sits for weeks and cranks right up. I’ve got the remote start in my center console in case it ever doesn’t. Awesome!

Edit: Hello and welcome!
Old 08-31-2019, 11:17 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,041 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by jdrake

Well it does depend on the battery and who's making it... so your mechanic was probably speaking from things he saw, or heard about in certain brands of Lithium Batteries that were not of the fully protected type such as the Antigravity Batteries. Over the last 3 years the technology has leapfrogged forward, but additionally the research on what works best for Street/Performance/Race use has matured significantly. Additionally the Customer are getting more savvy too. It used to be that everyone wanted the smallest lithium battery possible since they thought if the Car Started, that was all that was needed. But the fact is you need a decent amp Hour Capacity to really make it work as a good battery and have quality lithium cells and the excellent BMS. but it was a bit more wild west a couple years ago and people just doing what they wanted also.

There is a very well known brand that was the "go to" brand for many in the Performance/Race Market, and they still supply a lot of the Race Batteries and have a popular Brand Name in Auto Road Racing. But they do not have any BMS (Battery Management System) on their Battery which at this point in time is just irresponsible, and unsafe IF used in a Passenger Car. Race Cars its fine since it's monitored all the time and kept (hopefully) in a good state of charge. But they are doing the same thing they did 7 years ago and with today's advancements in Lithium Technology that is just not acceptable . So I have no respect for that type of practice, and am not afraid to call it out. It gives the Lithium Industry a stain if people are worried about their batteries causing harm to their vehicles. We all have to be putting out ultra safe stuff that works well to make this technology acceptable for the Consumer. The change is coming for sure so the Lithium Battery makers have to make it stable, safe and an attractive product to get bigger market share from Lead/Acid. It's still expensive to manufacture, but it's on a good trajectory to become even more affordable in the next year or two.

Yes there are potential issues with "UN-PROTECTED" Lithium Batteries. They can accidentally be over-discharged, then accidentally recharged too fast which can induce Thermal Runaway... the battery melting down. So with today's technology, and the with a high quality BMS, and high quality Lithium Cells you have a battery that can be a completely safe and drop-in alternative to Lead/Acid Batteries. But all those issues your mechanic was told about were on batteries that did not have the newer technology and use of a FULL BMS.

So the Lithium Batteries we offer on Rennlist, and as Passenger Car Batteries have complete protections in the on-board BMS that won't allow the battery to be over-discharged, won't allow over-charge, and have short circuit protection as well as Thermal Protections. So the battery is only allowed to operate within it's safest parameters, so it cannot be put into a status that would create damage to the Lithium Battery inside. Additionally this means the lithium cells in the battery are always kept in their normal and best, safest operating range which means they are never stressed so you get the full life cycle out of them. Roughly 8-10 years.

Last, keep in mind, even without a BMS if the Lifepo4 Lithium battery is kept from discharging and over-charging or over-heated, it is exceptionally safe. The news media stories about Hoverboard battery fires and Phone Batteries catching fire are a different type of lithium which is usually Lithium Polymer aka Lithium Cobalt which is much more energy dense and volatile format of Lithium. Lithium Polymer can become unstable much easier than Lithium-Iron Phosphate (Lifepo4) which what we use. Just want to make that clear so people understand Lithium-Ion is NOT all the same... there are several different chemical makes-ups of a Lithium-Ion Battery. Lithium-Ion just means any rechargeable Lithium chemistry. But regardless, a full and good BMS is required on all Lithium Batteries for the safest longest lasting operation..... and I will tell you that because we still make unprotetcted varients that alot of the Race teams use, but I would never suggest them for a Street, or Track Car. The weight difference is ounces for a BMS, so there is never a reason to go without a BMS in a vehicle unless you want to save every gram, and not potential for a safety feature to cut in during a race.
jdrake (09-03-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 05:55 AM
Junwei Wu
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Antigravity Batteries - do you ship to Asia, specifically Singapore? Thanks.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:05 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,041 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Junwei Wu
Antigravity Batteries - do you ship to Asia, specifically Singapore? Thanks.
While we can and do international shipping it does get quite expensive. I think it like a few hundred dollars. Lithium ships Class 9 Hazardous Material and requires special labeling and such. Some places like New Zealand don't allow any air shipments of Lithium at all. We can get you a quote on shipping and honor the pricing for the sales on Tuesday when we get back in the offices. Just send an email to me if you want... my email is in the tag below my post.

Last edited by Antigravity; 09-03-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:41 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

First weekend with my Antigravity in the .2 GT3 working the car hard in the smokie mountains.

Drove over 12 hours and 400 miles and never skipped a beat.

Highly recommend. Love the app.

Antigravity (09-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Hello! (And lithium battery experiences)