Sponsored by:

DSC Sport controller First-Hand Impression on Track

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 09:43 AM
Astrix
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Gastrogt3
I've just installed v3 in my GT3, with the DSC Controller re-programmed on the advice of a pro driver in a colleague's GT3. Immediate and marked change with much more aggressive turn-in and faster mid-corner speed. Clear to see in data logs from my SoloDL. As currently set up, quite a lot more corner exit oversteer than I'm used to. For a rank amateur like me, that's going to take a bit of getting used to. Even so, equalled my PB at Sydney Motorsport Park in my first session post-change, and I can feel there is a whole lot to gain when I'm more dialled in. Very positive outcome – I was worried that my "feeling" was just confirmation bias, but the data prove that the change is real.

And no concerns about FAL, which is standard on all GT3s sold in Australia.
I added the DSC to my 7.1 GT3 last year when I was still running the PCNSW sprints, I noticed exactly what you mention with the exit oversteer, as an instant response we changed the rear sway bar setting this helped and I didn’t have to adjust my driving too much.. I’m sure it’s a little different on the 991 platform, but maybe something worth considering. The biggest difference I noted at SMP was entry to T1, and higher apex speed.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:57 AM
Gastrogt3
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrix
I noticed exactly what you mention with the exit oversteer, as an instant response we changed the rear sway bar setting this helped and I didn’t have to adjust my driving too much..
Thanks, definitely worth considering
The following users liked this post:
Astrix (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 10:40 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gastrogt3
I've just installed v3 in my GT3, with the DSC Controller re-programmed on the advice of a pro driver in a colleague's GT3. Immediate and marked change with much more aggressive turn-in and faster mid-corner speed. Clear to see in data logs from my SoloDL. As currently set up, quite a lot more corner exit oversteer than I'm used to. For a rank amateur like me, that's going to take a bit of getting used to. Even so, equalled my PB at Sydney Motorsport Park in my first session post-change, and I can feel there is a whole lot to gain when I'm more dialled in. Very positive outcome – I was worried that my "feeling" was just confirmation bias, but the data prove that the change is real.

And no concerns about FAL, which is standard on all GT3s sold in Australia.
Originally Posted by Astrix
I added the DSC to my 7.1 GT3 last year when I was still running the PCNSW sprints, I noticed exactly what you mention with the exit oversteer, as an instant response we changed the rear sway bar setting this helped and I didn’t have to adjust my driving too much.. I’m sure it’s a little different on the 991 platform, but maybe something worth considering. The biggest difference I noted at SMP was entry to T1, and higher apex speed.
Thanks for the input guys.

sales@dscsport.com | (410) 799-7798
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Old 08-20-2019, 10:48 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Few words about exit oversteer- My personal experience and direct interaction with many DSC users has been on the contrary regarding exit oversteer. I found corner exit rear grip to be better. In fact, oversteer is quite unusual via all of my direct user interactions. The different results has to do with the current setup that's on the car(alignment, sway bar setting, and rake). One example is the 991 cars with rear wheel steering need to have at least 2.5mm of rear toe-in per side, the alignment on rear wheel steering cars must be done with ignition switch ON to keep the rear wheel steering system powered up. Another example is ride height, the balance of these cars are very ride height sensitive; a few millimeter drop of the nose on rake can turn a car from good to loose. It is very possible that the alignment, sway bar, and rake adjustments on some cars are adjusted to "get the most" out of the factory PASM settings and other external conditions, then installing a DSC with standard calibration will then produce different results. We created our standard calibration file on cars with either factory setup numbers or our suggested setup numbers, this is because we cannot create a different calibration for every possible combination of setups. Sorry to step out of the 991 realm for a moment here, a quick one on the 7.1 GT3, many of them have 7.2 rear sway bars installed because of entry understeer, if that's the case then installing a DSC that improves entry will then tip the balance scale to be loose with the stiffer rear sway bar. Sorry to get all technical on setup but setup is a big influential factor. The stats that we receive from users is 99% positive. Oh, and it is entirely possible that if the entry speed of corner is improved by x mph then carrying this increased mph to exit the car will then behave a little differently than before. #goingfasterisgood

Tom
Astrix (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 10:57 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SB27
Waiting on getting the FAL issue resolved here also before pulling the trigger on my .2 GT3....
Originally Posted by aalencar
Just waiting on resolution for FAL issue before I pull trigger.
Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
Add me to the list of people waiting for the FAL fix.
Originally Posted by crayon991
Ditto
Thanks for your patience guys! We have been working on 991.2 GT3 / GT3 RS / GT2 RS FAL fix for a few months. As we got deeper in to this we found out there's two types on FAL available on the .2 GT cars.
The two types are: Air operated and Hydraulically operated. See image below.
So far we think we have resolve the Air type. We tested 12 cars locally with Air type and they are all good. We're still working on cracking the code for Hydraulic type.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:05 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Thanks for your patience guys! We have been working on 991.2 GT3 / GT3 RS / GT2 RS FAL fix for a few months. As we got deeper in to this we found out there's two types on FAL available on the .2 GT cars.
The two types are: Air operated and Hydraulically operated. See image below.
So far we think we have resolve the Air type. We tested 12 cars locally with Air type and they are all good. We're still working on cracking the code for Hydraulic type.
To get more techy on the FAL, you know how I love to do that.. LOL , the Air type is carried over from the 997 and 991.1 cars which works like a race car air jack.
Whereas the newer Hydraulic type used a lift platform under the coil springs.
The pro/con of each type-
The Air type allows for the use of a taller coil spring, which I prefer, because longer length of spring wire feels better for handling. But the amount of lift is limited.
The Hydraulic type allows for greater amount of lift and probably faster time to achieve full lift since hydraulic fluid cannot be compressed like air can. But hydraulic lift mechanism takes up space thus requiring a shorter coil spring.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:10 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by iphilips
Also status on FAL bug for v3 on 991.2 GT3? Can't get an answer from DSC on when this will be resolved.
Sorry we don't have definitive date because we have to crack a 40+ digit code. We are eager to crack the code but can't promise a date and not deliver on it.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:40 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Tom:

Can you post the "suggested setup" numbers for the 991.2 ?

Thx.

"The different results has to do with the current setup that's on the car(alignment, sway bar setting, and rake). One example is the 991 cars with rear wheel steering need to have at least 2.5mm of rear toe-in per side, the alignment on rear wheel steering cars must be done with ignition switch ON to keep the rear wheel steering system powered up. Another example is ride height, the balance of these cars are very ride height sensitive; a few millimeter drop of the nose on rake can turn a car from good to loose. It is very possible that the alignment, sway bar, and rake adjustments on some cars are adjusted to "get the most" out of the factory PASM settings and other external conditions, then installing a DSC with standard calibration will then produce different results. We created our standard calibration file on cars with either factory setup numbers or our suggested setup numbers, this is because we cannot create a different calibration for every possible combination of setups."
Old 08-20-2019, 03:10 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matrog
Tom:

Can you post the "suggested setup" numbers for the 991.2 ?

Thx.

"The different results has to do with the current setup that's on the car(alignment, sway bar setting, and rake). One example is the 991 cars with rear wheel steering need to have at least 2.5mm of rear toe-in per side, the alignment on rear wheel steering cars must be done with ignition switch ON to keep the rear wheel steering system powered up. Another example is ride height, the balance of these cars are very ride height sensitive; a few millimeter drop of the nose on rake can turn a car from good to loose. It is very possible that the alignment, sway bar, and rake adjustments on some cars are adjusted to "get the most" out of the factory PASM settings and other external conditions, then installing a DSC with standard calibration will then produce different results. We created our standard calibration file on cars with either factory setup numbers or our suggested setup numbers, this is because we cannot create a different calibration for every possible combination of setups."

Ideal setup is largely dependent on tire compound, width & height, and some external factors. For OEM tires and track use this setup is pretty solid:
Front Height 104mm
Front Camber -2.4 deg (to get more negative adjuster caster bushings are required)
Front Toe -1.0 mm (toe out) per side
Front Bar Middle hole
Rear Height 248mm
Rear Camber -2.2 deg
Rear Toe +2.5 mm (toe in) per side
Rear Bar Middle hole
Old 08-20-2019, 03:40 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Thanks

From what point on the vehicle do you measure front and rear height ?
Old 08-20-2019, 03:43 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks

From what point on the vehicle do you measure front and rear height ?
Factory measure points.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:41 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Default I assume you are referring to these points, correct ?

Thx.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:01 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thx.
Correct.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:10 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Thank you, sir.

BTW: nice sway bars !
DSC Sport (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 05:13 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

The DSC-V3 box works fine in my car, no errors, and I have had it for months in multiple venues.

FAL+DSCV3+991.2GT3RS

Maybe it just works in Weissach Package cars (j/k)

Quick Reply: DSC Sport controller First-Hand Impression on Track