Sponsored by:

Warranty vs Exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 07:50 AM
tshawa
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Warranty vs Exhaust...

Owner of a 991.1 GT3 (Club Sport) and a track has recently opened up in Kuwait. As I track often, been thinking about installing an Akra Slip on (maybe with the pipes in place of primary mufflers) or something similar but have been reassured by the dealership this would/could void warranty. I am looking for a bit more performance and better/louder exhaust notes. In a dilemma and would love to hear your thoughts on this. Should I do it and potentially void warranty? Is it worth it? Perhaps those with experience with this can chime in.

Thanks.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:39 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

What are the track's noise restrictions, if any?

More pics of the 993 Turbo.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:45 AM
tshawa
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan

No track noise restrictions... but i do drive the car on the roads, so cannot and do not want to go with straight pipes... Has to be somewhat civil and I am looking to maintain the valve control.

I'll post a few more of the 993 shortly...
Old 08-19-2019, 09:06 AM
tshawa
Instructor

Here you go....

Old 08-19-2019, 09:34 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 279 Posts

It must be dealer dependent. My dealer said no problem.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:50 AM
tshawa
Instructor

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
Would really appreciate an email address to your dealer so that I may contact them and/or refer my dealership to them.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:50 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
The warranty is from Porsche. Not the dealership. The dealership can, and will, tell you anything.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:57 AM
tshawa
Instructor

The warranty is from Porsche. Not the dealership. The dealership can, and will, tell you anything.
Let me try and email Porsche Middle East directly. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

You warranty is with Porsche not the dealer. The dealer doesn’t decided if a warranty is void.

However if you change the exhaust manifolds with cats and or the ECU Porsche will void powertrain warranty. You can change mufflers and you will be ok. However a Porsche zone rep told me a few years ago that if you go completely with no muffler and something happens to the engine like burning a piston the could track it back to less exhaust pressure than what the engine was designed for and the ECU changing the air fuel ratio.

I did just Soul Side Muffler delete. Sounds great, much lighter weight, less heat by rear tires. I don’t want to chance it with messing with exhaust headers, no cats or sport cats and definitely not doing a tune and voiding the warranty.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:41 AM
tshawa
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdrums
You warranty is with Porsche not the dealer. The dealer doesn’t decided if a warranty is void.

However if you change the exhaust manifolds with cats and or the ECU Porsche will void powertrain warranty. You can change mufflers and you will be ok. However a Porsche zone rep told me a few years ago that if you go completely with no muffler and something happens to the engine like burning a piston the could track it back to less exhaust pressure than what the engine was designed for and the ECU changing the air fuel ratio.

I did just Soul Side Muffler delete. Sounds great, much lighter weight, less heat by rear tires. I don’t want to chance it with messing with exhaust headers, no cats or sport cats and definitely not doing a tune and voiding the warranty.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, what you are saying makes perfect sense and this was my thought process as well. Question is did Porsche give you anything in writing about the side muffler delete (approval)? Or did you just do it and taking your chances?
Old 08-20-2019, 08:36 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by tshawa
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, what you are saying makes perfect sense and this was my thought process as well. Question is did Porsche give you anything in writing about the side muffler delete (approval)? Or did you just do it and taking your chances?
I have nothing in writing thought i'd try it

Quick Reply: Warranty vs Exhaust...