Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the corners, I'm sure it's (the GT3) not faster (than the GT4).

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 12:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think the strut rear suspension of the GT4 and the wheel/tire size stagger (front/rear) in the GT4 is revealed as a weakness on track fairly easily by a relatively quick driver (but maybe a more skilled driver than I can drive around it better).
The GT3 puts down the power at corner exit really well. It always surprises me how much throttle you can apply and the car doesn't break away. Maybe it's more a function of the rear suspension than the rear engine?
Old 08-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think the strut rear suspension of the GT4 and the wheel/tire size stagger (front/rear) in the GT4 is revealed as a weakness on track fairly easily by a relatively quick driver
I think it’s also quite track dependent. Smoother tracks (camber, surface and corner layout) will flatter the GT4, at which point cornering performance largely comes down to balance and tire to weight. However struts show their limits as the suspension articulates, so basically anything that upsets the car. In those circumstances I find very obvious differences, and of course it’s those challenging bits where predictability is most valuable.

I believe the GT3’s rear suspension is far more responsible for its ability to put power down (vs the GT4) than its weight distribution. Some recent Corvettes achieve tremendous rear traction with a sophisticated multi-link but far worse weight distribution than the GT4.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:51 PM
siswati
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Agree with max. If there is any advantage, it's only realized with the real pro drivers. I didn't feel there was an advantage when I owned both at one time. The real advantage that the cayman has is the lower power. If you're trying to learn how to go faster, less power is always better and then transition to a faster car. I do it to a larger degree now between spec miata and the RS. Every Time I got faster in the GT4 I got faster in the GT3. Every time I get faster in my spec miata, it translates to a faster time in my RS.
If you can go fast in a Spec Miata, you will go faster in any car!
Spec Miata's biggest fan!
Old 08-13-2019, 06:17 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
He used the words "kind and reliable" to describe the GT4.

Sounds boring.

The GT4 needed gearing and power to reach the level of fun it deserved. I just don't think they got there with the 718.
Agree with you. I was underwhelmed by my GT4, didn’t keep it long. I guess we’ll see on the new GT4 but no interest from me.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The GT3 puts down the power at corner exit really well. It always surprises me how much throttle you can apply and the car doesn't break away. Maybe it's more a function of the rear suspension than the rear engine?
I have found this curious as well. I did PEC drives with a Cayman GTS and GT3 manual back to back. The difference between the GT3 and the Cayman GTS (as well my GT4 on other courses) with regard to corner exit grip was noticeable. I would find it hard to believe that it's weight alone, since that difference, although sizable (56% vs. 60%), doesn't seem as large as the grip difference I perceived. The other thing is that the rear breakaway under power and turning with the GT4 is a little more sudden than with the GT3. Seems like part of it has got to be dynamic toe and/or dynamic camber. Could be wrong though.

Of course corner entry and mid corner speeds are comparable. And the GT4 exits corners as well as almost any non-GT3 car. It was funny watching that Camaro chase you at Sonoma; he seemed to get frustrated that you got a car length on each corner exit

Last edited by Yargk; 08-13-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:10 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 102 Posts

The 4 is better on corner entry through mid corner where some of the recognized issues begin to show. The turn in transition favors the mid-engine platform.

3 better on exit bc of rear engine traction advantage on the loud pedal.

I agree w Joe, the 4 is more of a momentum car and will teach you more as you work your way toward faster cars.

I love my 4 and track it quite a bit but when I want to fly its all about the Lizard...

Cheers
Old 08-13-2019, 08:03 PM
merc5326
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I own the GT3 now, but had both cars for a month before selling the GT4. So I conducted a few back to back experiments My expectations were high for the mid-engine platform, but in the end I didn't feel there was significant advantage. I'm sure a professional driver could exploit all of its attributes, but I'm not at that level. My GT3 just feels more planted, add in the 4 wheel steering and it's magical. On sharp turns I would even experience some wheel hop in the GT4, zero in the GT3. In a similar sharp turn with an off camber transition and the GT4 was definitely more squirrelly. As we all know, corner exit is great with any 911, but it's sublime with the GT3. Both cars are great I just really love my GT3.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:37 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I think it’s also quite track dependent. Smoother tracks (camber, surface and corner layout) will flatter the GT4, at which point cornering performance largely comes down to balance and tire to weight. However struts show their limits as the suspension articulates, so basically anything that upsets the car. In those circumstances I find very obvious differences, and of course it’s those challenging bits where predictability is most valuable.

I believe the GT3’s rear suspension is far more responsible for its ability to put power down (vs the GT4) than its weight distribution. Some recent Corvettes achieve tremendous rear traction with a sophisticated multi-link but far worse weight distribution than the GT4.

^^^^^this
Old 08-14-2019, 12:17 AM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Trade you my GT3 even for a GT4. Not...
Old 08-14-2019, 03:05 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

3 has massive traction exiting the corners
whilst any similar torque mid-engine car can brake later when entering and slower on exit

RSR was flipped cause mid engine have rubbers extended life and easier aero (thst s why on street legal the Pista doesn t have an RS wing)

Quick Reply: In the corners, I'm sure it's (the GT3) not faster (than the GT4).