Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 04:38 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by carbondan
I've never understood this sentiment.
You guys have/will have kids ,right?
Will you not teach your kids the joy of driving a manual and pass on that passion?
I know I will for sure, few things I would look forward to more than that!
The number of people that are passionate about manuals decline each year, that doesn’t mean car enthusiasts are declining too though. People often conflate the two.

For as many passionate reasons I wish I had a 6mt GT3, there are more passionate reasons I’m happy I got the PDK
Old 08-09-2019, 05:03 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts

Will you not teach your kids the joy of driving a manual and pass on that passion?
That guy clearly knows few Gen Z kids, if any. Many were and are being taught by their fathers how to drive manual and enjoy the engagement factor. Moreover, these kids will not be buying any GT cars anytime soon. They will have older cars with manuals. I was able to sell an older 6spd car within 24 hours because there were hardly any available in my area.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:03 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono

How many of you have made the decision to purchase a manual over PDK due to long term reliability / serviceability concerns?
Not me. I chose PDK-S on the 991.2 because IMO, that screaming motor demands a transmission to match, and that's the PDK-S.

The criteria for choosing a transmission on a GT car would NOT be reliability or serviceability, since the entire car is, by nature of it's extreme performance envelope, neither particularly reliable nor serviceable.
The following 3 users liked this post by C5driver:
MotoJB (12-27-2019), Porsche911GTS'16 (08-11-2019), WenigerAberBeser (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 05:09 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I didn’t have a choice with my .1 but i would probably go manual in my next toy, if available. Part of that is already putting 30,000 miles on my PDK so change is good. But i would prioritize what i wanted to drive over what i thought was more reliable or possibly worth more down the road.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:04 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
If my RS came with the 6sp, it'd be a keeper. It's just another stepping stone now
i feel the same. i actually bought a second 6MT GT3 as i missed my first one too much after moving to the RS.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
For long term ownership, the simpler the better generally, which would make the manual a better option for me but its not available on the RS. the electronic systems are more of a concern to me if I were to keep the car out of warranty.
that's why I drove a 356 now. very simple and older than I.

I love manual and I hear many love manual....
but at least those I know who tells me loving manual really don't...
they can't heel and toe to save their lives
money shifts.
shift too often. you really just need 2-3-4.
auto blip they thought was fun... ah.. U BLIP is fun, AUTO BLIP not fun

but for 991, I prefer pdk
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (04-10-2021)
Old 08-09-2019, 08:08 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

The World is heading into a direction where humans are seen as a liability. The fight is real to completely remove us from the equation. We're probably heading towards a controlled environment where everyone needs to follow a certain pattern and computers " assist " us in everything of our day to day lives. It does sound like SF right now but luckily,I won't be around to see it...
Going back to cars and back to the subject : these cars are already complicated and very much computer controlled. So in terms of reliability,there are many other things that could go wrong besides the transmission...
I choose manual not because of reliability,but because I don't want to give away one more input of the car's control to computers. And never forget : this is a sports car that people buy not because they need it,but because they want it...
The following 2 users liked this post by neanicu:
carbondan (08-09-2019), RockyTopTenn (08-10-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 08:25 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 267 Posts

I have to say the more I look into this, the more frightening PDK becomes as a potential long-term play.

First off, this is the best PDK parts diagram I could find:

Basically, we are looking at a mysterious black box here. In 10 or 15 years, what will your options be to get one fixed?

On another board (not sure if we are allowed to link), I found the following very troubling post dated 5-21-19:

“Dealer Service Department original quote to replace failed transmission was just over $14,000.00. That's when I went shopping for a repair shop, but couldn't find a single shop who said they could work a PDK. There were a few guys who said they knew tiptronics, but PDKs were a mystery to everyone. I tried local, then tried shops in other areas, but no dice. (There was one guy who said he could fix ANYTHING, but he then said it would be his first look at a PDK so I didn't feel good shipping the car to him in California.) Indie shops here in AZ told me they could install a replacement if I could find one. I started calling dismantlers - PDKs were 10 years old by then, so thought there would some available from wrecked cars. I couldn't find a single one. Finally went back to the dealer and let them know it is my 3rd Porsche, one of two in the family now, they are doing the maintenance for us, long time PCA member, DE instructor, everything we could think of. I'm not sure what the deciding factors were, but the dealer stepped up big time. The service bill mentions "warranty good will", and "core return"; unfortunately it also says, "I agree that the terms of this offer are legally confidential" between PCNA, the dealership, and me, so I'm not able to give more details or numbers. The agreement saved me enough that I am well satisfied to be going back to Penske Porsche of North Scottsdale for all maintenance that I can't do myself, even though both of our cars are now off warranty.”
The following 2 users liked this post by mchrono:
carbondan (08-09-2019), RockyTopTenn (08-10-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 08:44 PM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

For me it was part of the equation. The PDK is awesome but way too complicated. I intend to keep this car for 15 years so the reliability is an issue. Porsche gear boxes if not abused are good for 200k easily, hopefully this new box will be the same way. Love it so far.
The following users liked this post:
Yargk (08-13-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 04:06 PM
kento521
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

There are many other choices - Ferrari being one of my favorite.. But only Porsche offers a manual with the caliber of performance I am after. Therefore the choice of my GT3 being a manual was an easy one, especially with the Touring option.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,027 Likes on 5,240 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think for long term value in terms of collectability, then the MT wins hands down. The world is going the way of dual or multi clutch automatics. In the near future a MT car will be as common as a car with manually operated driver and passenger side windows.

But I think for long term value in terms of resale, and in particular ease of resale, the PDK wins hands down. Generation Z, for those that actually care and can drive, most if not all will have no idea how to operate a clutch pedal, or even want to.

In other words, sort of pointless to base a purchasing decision of the type of transmission as a basis for long term value.
Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
The number of people that are passionate about manuals decline each year, that doesn’t mean car enthusiasts are declining too though. People often conflate the two.

For as many passionate reasons I wish I had a 6mt GT3, there are more passionate reasons I’m happy I got the PDK
Car manufacturers, or at least the ones that want to be relevant and profitable, do not make cars for "enthusiasts".

Marketing to "enthusiasts" leads a manufacturer down the path of irrelevance and/or extinction. See Lotus.

No doubt there will always be enthusiasts, and enthusiasts who not only know how to operate an honest to goodness manual, but enjoy doing so. But to believe that just because those individuals exist, doesn't mean that manufacturers will make cars to satiate their demands.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,174 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Buy what you like. I know that isn't the question you asked but either can have issues. You may need a new PDK after a couple hundred miles, that happened to someone I know, you may never need one. With a manual, expect to need a clutch somewhere between 50-100k miles. You could easily get more than 100k out of one I am sure but I would just budget for that. I think a remanufactured PDK is somewhere in the $8k range. A clutch is going to be $3k I am guessing. Either way it is going to be expensive. I had the dual clutch on my S4 go, replacement was $11k luckily under a Fidelity Warranty. On my 997 GT3, I had no choice but to go manual and I am glad I did, I enjoy the drive more. But I am more reluctant to hand the keys to just anyone knowing that a money shift in a tight gearbox is not a difficult thing to do.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:51 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

The biggest issue I see with PDK long term is that they keep improving it. Faster shift speeds, more gears, better programming. It becomes outdated eventually and harder to fix with the latest and greatest is out there. Manuals are manuals and stay the same.

Last edited by TrackJunke; 08-10-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 725 Posts

Manual .2 here. Plan on passing this down to my son. He’s 3 at the moment.
The following 5 users liked this post by Jbravo23:
carbondan (08-10-2019), LionelB (08-12-2019), Porsche911GTS'16 (08-11-2019), speedyj (08-18-2019), subshooter (08-11-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 09:08 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 854 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
The World is heading into a direction where humans are seen as a liability. The fight is real to completely remove us from the equation. We're probably heading towards a controlled environment where everyone needs to follow a certain pattern and computers " assist " us in everything of our day to day lives. It does sound like SF right now but luckily,I won't be around to see it...
Going back to cars and back to the subject : these cars are already complicated and very much computer controlled. So in terms of reliability,there are many other things that could go wrong besides the transmission...
I choose manual not because of reliability,but because I don't want to give away one more input of the car's control to computers. And never forget : this is a sports car that people buy not because they need it,but because they want it...
I hear you and can relate, but this is a bit of overstatement as by putting PDK in manual mode will just achieve that (by a different way and less 'involving" admittedly) without the "money shift" risk & I'll be more comfortable to let wife/buddy drive my car as well

Quick Reply: PDK vs. Manual for the Long Term?