Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK vs. Manual for the Long Term?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 02:21 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts
Default PDK vs. Manual for the Long Term?

It normally does not actually turn out this way, but many of us probably like to think our next purchase will be a long-term keeper. There was a case not too long ago of a 997 customer just out of warranty who had his PDK go South. The dealer’s solution was to have him purchase a whole new PDK for $20k, because apparently, dealers are not authorized to open up a PDK to do a simple internal repair.

We already know PIWIS is required just for scheduled PDK fluid service. How many of you have made the decision to purchase a manual over PDK due to long term reliability / serviceability concerns?

Old 08-09-2019, 02:38 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

I typically don't keep cars out of warranty due to risk mitigation (I'm a conservative CPA), especially expensive ones like my 991.2 GT3. I have PDK and honestly, I think it's the "safer" option. Anyone can money shift a manual transmission and if you're scared of a $20k PDK transmission possibly going south, look up the cost of a new GT3 engine. And, it's not just you to be worried about. Anyone else that touches your car (dealer, valet, whatever) can money shift and you may not know for another week or two when the engine pops because money shifts don't always immediately show effects.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:46 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

I thought about it, but it wasn't the reason (for me) to opt for the manual. I just wouldn't personally own a pdk because its a different experience I'm looking for, but I'm sure there are plenty of others thinking exactly the opposite. That said, I do believe the complexity and cost of the pdk over time will make the cars more difficult and expensive to maintain. I also feel competent to do whatever needs to be done re a manual box in terms of servicing and/or repair but I would do exactly the same thing as the dealer if I owned one long term, put it in a shipping box and get a new one.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:49 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Servicing the Manual in the .2 is laughably easy. I think first gearbox oil change at 94,000 miles or something...

I think PDK every 20k (two different fluids).
Old 08-09-2019, 02:49 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 85 Posts

If my RS came with the 6sp, it'd be a keeper. It's just another stepping stone now
Old 08-09-2019, 02:58 PM
StanfordCardGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Depends if you want to sell too - didn't want to worry about the whole range overrev BS that came with the 6 speed. it invalidates warranties potentially and decreases resale.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:59 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

The PDK has proven to be very reliable. And it's near impossible to tear one up under normal use . The 6 speed though new will most likely prove to be reliable as well. However, it won't like ham fisted maneuvers. You could damage the gears/syncros. Or, miss a shift and blow the engine. You should look into the cost of a replacement 6 speed for comparison. You could consider the delta as a long term insurance policy for the engine.

I have a 6 speed and hope to keep this one longer than normal. Had I had the option I would most likely have gone with a PDK.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:01 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
I typically don't keep cars out of warranty due to risk mitigation (I'm a conservative CPA), especially expensive ones like my 991.2 GT3. I have PDK and honestly, I think it's the "safer" option. Anyone can money shift a manual transmission and if you're scared of a $20k PDK transmission possibly going south, look up the cost of a new GT3 engine. And, it's not just you to be worried about. Anyone else that touches your car (dealer, valet, whatever) can money shift and you may not know for another week or two when the engine pops because money shifts don't always immediately show effects.
I do wonder what the engine rebuild cost would be (worst case) on a .2 GT3.
I opted for the manual .2 myself, almost entirely because it gave the experience I'm looking for in a car.
From a long term resale perspective, the unique nature of the .2 gt3 manual makes it difficult for me to see how it wouldn't be the better bet, though I'm sure both will do quite well.
At it's core, the manual box is a simple, timeless design and has far fewer potential points of failure. The money shift risk is real and must be weighed on an individual basis. For me, I've driven manual my entire life and fortunately never made that mistake so I think my personal risk is low.
As for the risk of others doing it, a dash cam would be a must if you are frequently allowing others to drive the car (service, valet etc). I will also say, this box is extremely difficult to money shift, you'd truly need to be careless. Both due to the fact that the centering spring is remarkably stiff (so you really have to mean it when you're going on either end of the gate), and the gear shift indicator on the speedo provides a very useful cue if you're not certain what gear you're putting it in.

The PDK absolutely has its merits, it's just personal preference at this point.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:20 PM
n d
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 106 Posts

If your getting a gt3 go for manual.... I’d rather have an rs with a pdk!
Old 08-09-2019, 03:38 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

I've never had a sports car that I wanted to keep forever or keep once it was out of warranty. But my Touring is probably a keeper. So I would pick manual over PDK for a keeper.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:46 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 147 Posts

For long term ownership, the simpler the better generally, which would make the manual a better option for me but its not available on the RS. the electronic systems are more of a concern to me if I were to keep the car out of warranty.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,740 Likes on 5,127 Posts

I think for long term value in terms of collectability, then the MT wins hands down. The world is going the way of dual or multi clutch automatics. In the near future a MT car will be as common as a car with manually operated driver and passenger side windows.

But I think for long term value in terms of resale, and in particular ease of resale, the PDK wins hands down. Generation Z, for those that actually care and can drive, most if not all will have no idea how to operate a clutch pedal, or even want to.

In other words, sort of pointless to base a purchasing decision of the type of transmission as a basis for long term value.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The world is going the way of dual or multi clutch automatics.
Or electric motors without any gearbox
Old 08-09-2019, 04:27 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think for long term value in terms of collectability, then the MT wins hands down. The world is going the way of dual or multi clutch automatics. In the near future a MT car will be as common as a car with manually operated driver and passenger side windows.

But I think for long term value in terms of resale, and in particular ease of resale, the PDK wins hands down. Generation Z, for those that actually care and can drive, most if not all will have no idea how to operate a clutch pedal, or even want to.

In other words, sort of pointless to base a purchasing decision of the type of transmission as a basis for long term value.
I've never understood this sentiment.
You guys have/will have kids ,right?
Will you not teach your kids the joy of driving a manual and pass on that passion?
I know I will for sure, few things I would look forward to more than that!
Old 08-09-2019, 04:31 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

Unless you’re a true collector, I doubt many people will keep any car very long. Buy what you like at the time of purchase and switch when bored.

Quick Reply: PDK vs. Manual for the Long Term?