Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

AMG: there is no substitute.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:57 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by kings4thecup
im not saying the benz is a better built car in anyway...in terms of creaks and stuff...i dont have any with my car. Maybe i'm lucky.

I get what you guys are saying...obviously a FI car is going to feel faster initially. I guess maybe I just needed to see what everyone's opinion was.

I came from a 2010 ISF to a 2018 c63 a year ago and the handling was way way way better then the ISF so I could only imagine the gt3/RS. What does a tune yield for these cars?
You need to learn to drive one well first - zero point in a tune if you can't drive to the grip limits (with a well formed friction circle) in the first place .

Round a track its not close, when I say not close, I mean many seconds per lap. Perhaps around 5 to 6s per minute and thats if the C63AMG is driven by a good track driver. This difference is huge and off the top of my head the weight difference is something like 300 to 400kg.

As Colin Mcrae pointed out, straights are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers . If you want straight line quick just get a P100D

Last edited by groundhog; 08-06-2019 at 11:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mr965 (08-07-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 02:11 PM
JabsZA
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default tough one

If i may offer my 2 cents...

Full disclosure - i have never owned a "super" or "hyper"car like some of the folks on this forum...my entry into a GT3 is my "super" car experience. I know..some of us start from the bottom...

I have owned multiple M3s..and loved the E92 V8, i have owned a Jaguar XKR, Jaguar F-Type, Mini JCW..i have owned a 1977 911 that i restored from the ground up and modded into an "Outlaw" - full racing suspension setup, big bore 3.5l carb engine etc...so i would like to say that i have driven some of the more basic cars, through to the way to more complex and accomplished...but not hyper. My wife owned a 2008 C63 AMG..which she loved..the growl, the acceleration etc..

I have the utmost respect for the folks that own Lambos, Maclarens etc..and most likely they will burn me at the stake for saying this, but these are not driver's cars. I am not saying that they are not designed, nor incapable of being drivers cars - but in reality, 99% of the owners, do not drive them like they stole them (if you know what i mean)...they are more C&C type cars for visual appeal, audio appeal. Dont get me wrong, if was ever in a situation of being able to afford one, you bet your a$%@ i would get a maclaren...or actually, Lexus LFA :-)

..and that brings me to my point...a car has to fit form and function...some folks love the look of certain cars. Exotic cars that turn heads, shout loudly, have bold colors...and some folks prefer function...no matter what the outer skeleton looks like as long as the chassis/engine/brake/suspension setup thrills you to no end...who cares.

In my limited opinion, i do not think you can compare a C63 with a 911..in any variant...these are tools for different functions. If its straight line speed, then yes, despite stats quoted, im sure the GT cars will not come on top...but statistically, how often do you drag race traffic light to traffic light? ..and i lived in Texas where this is common and enjoyed..and even with my E92 M3, with a VSS Supercharger..it got boring.

The 911 GT3 is such a capable car..its unbelievable...i hate the box in auto, but in manual..its wonderful. The whale of the engine, the turn in..the direct feedback from steering wheel..wow...so i get more pleasure out of that, even at 80km/hr than going out full blast...

Decide what you want, then pursue it.
Also, invest in upgrading your own skill set. To get the best out of a GT car (again in my humble opinion)..you need to push the limit..

Enjoy.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:16 PM
kings4thecup
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

welp...seems like i got the answer i was expecting...not in a bad way.

Curiosity will kill the cat once i purchase a house here shortly and i'll end up getting into one. I love going on the track and i know there is no better car to do that with...

Now the real question...gt3 or gt3rs...
Old 08-06-2019, 04:56 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Now the real question...gt3 or gt3rs...
GT3 for Manual or RS for PDK
Old 08-06-2019, 08:56 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 209 Posts

A mercedes C/E/GTR AMG is not comparable to a Porsche GT car.... One is a hammer, the other a scalpel. They are complementary cars.... A superb dynamic duo. Currently have an RS3 but thinking about moving to a C63s to complement the GT3- the C63 Is a true musclecar Hooligan sedan, fun to drive but in an entirely different way than the Porsche. Keep the tuned C63 and get a manual GT3
Old 08-06-2019, 09:11 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Why do you want a GT3 or GT3 RS in the first place?

From your commentary you seem to like torquey saloon cars.

A two seater NA sports car is a very different proposition.

You might be better off picking up a 981 Cayman S and seeing if you like it - will save you a bit of coin in the interim before you make a decision that may not be the best for you. 😀

To the gentleman commenting on Supercars - they do get tracked but that's not what they are targetted at unless you go for something specific e.g. 600/675LT, Performante or Pista.

My 720S gets tracked occasionally largely to blow out the cob webs - for real track time I much prefer Porsche (as do many) for obvious reasons such as robustness and cost and overall balance of performance.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:46 PM
Deckard
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

To the OP: Have you considered a TT or TTS? Lower price point than the RS and may give you the upgrade in straight-line speed you are looking for, especially the 2019 TTS which many of us suspect came with the Exclusive Series tune (600hp crank). Two of the members over in the turbo forum with the 2019 model each have run 10.4 and 10.5 in the 1/4 mile respectively, both stock and on factory tires.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:04 PM
sp330
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 on the TTS all wheel drive, rear engined, and a lower curb weight - they don’t call it a baby Bugatti for nothing

Drive one and let us know what you think.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:09 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

I owned the 997.2 TTS with exhaust and a custom tune (just under 600 to the wheels). Its an effortlessly fast car, period. I personally loved the size of the 997 TTS (compared to the 991). Not as comfortable etc, but felt a little more analog. My problem was that I owned a GT3 before it, and frankly nothing compares to that 8800rpm wail from a GT car for me. I agree with others that are telling you to at least drive a TT/TTS before jumping in to a GT car. It may be the perfect fit.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:13 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 368 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Why do you want a GT3 or GT3 RS in the first place?

From your commentary you seem to like torquey saloon cars.

A two seater NA sports car is a very different proposition.

You might be better off picking up a 981 Cayman S and seeing if you like it - will save you a bit of coin in the interim before you make a decision that may not be the best for you. 😀

To the gentleman commenting on Supercars - they do get tracked but that's not what they are targetted at unless you go for something specific e.g. 600/675LT, Performante or Pista.

My 720S gets tracked occasionally largely to blow out the cob webs - for real track time I much prefer Porsche (as do many) for obvious reasons such as robustness and cost and overall balance of performance.
If you're looking to add power to a NA GT3RS, you need to jettison some of the factory compromises with the exhaust and intake tract being one of them. We can get 50lbft gains at low rpm and 40whp at high rpm. Some customers sending us data that with our catted header they're at 0-60 times equaling their 991 Turbos S... If you want a 991.2 GT3RS that is strong, give us a shout...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
The following users liked this post:
mr965 (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:57 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
If you're looking to add power to a NA GT3RS, you need to jettison some of the factory compromises with the exhaust and intake tract being one of them. We can get 50lbft gains at low rpm and 40whp at high rpm. Some customers sending us data that with our catted header they're at 0-60 times equaling their 991 Turbos S... If you want a 991.2 GT3RS that is strong, give us a shout...
Thanks, very happy with the power delivery so far - nice and tractable with broad dynamic range, 😀
Old 08-07-2019, 01:32 PM
kings4thecup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bogey1
I owned the 997.2 TTS with exhaust and a custom tune (just under 600 to the wheels). Its an effortlessly fast car, period. I personally loved the size of the 997 TTS (compared to the 991). Not as comfortable etc, but felt a little more analog. My problem was that I owned a GT3 before it, and frankly nothing compares to that 8800rpm wail from a GT car for me. I agree with others that are telling you to at least drive a TT/TTS before jumping in to a GT car. It may be the perfect fit.

i want a gt3 because of that same reason...the 9k RPM scream. I've loved this car since day 1 and it's been a dream car. However, i may just have to test drive a TT/TTS....

i'd rather have a gt3/rs over most ferrari's (except f12 and f12TDF) even though the TDF is very unrealistic for me...and for lamborghini...that's out of the question. I dont like them. Also, my grandpa used to race for ferrari in the 60s so im sure thats one of the reasons im bias.

For those of you with a 14-17 gt3...is it worth saving the money and getting one of those years or is the 18 worth the extra $$?
Old 08-07-2019, 01:33 PM
kings4thecup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fang911
A mercedes C/E/GTR AMG is not comparable to a Porsche GT car.... One is a hammer, the other a scalpel. They are complementary cars.... A superb dynamic duo. Currently have an RS3 but thinking about moving to a C63s to complement the GT3- the C63 Is a true musclecar Hooligan sedan, fun to drive but in an entirely different way than the Porsche. Keep the tuned C63 and get a manual GT3
i'd love to keep both but it's unrealistic...I surf and snowboard and i need something i can take to the snow/beach. Also, my wife would kill me if i kept both because that's a lot of money in car payments and she doesn't understand the car thing.

Thinking of a raptor and a gt3 or gt3rs
Old 08-07-2019, 02:10 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 240 Posts

For those of you with a 14-17 gt3...is it worth saving the money and getting one of those years or is the 18 worth the extra $$?

Those with the .2 GT3s will say it's worth it, but for a similar price to a nice spec .2 GT3 I got my 2015 GT3 and a used X5M which was a better value imo. I tried the Raptor route too but the wife wasn't having it.

Quick Reply: GT3RS/GT3 vs C63 w/ tune