GT3RS/GT3 vs C63 w/ tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 12:46 PM
kings4thecup
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default GT3RS/GT3 vs C63 w/ tune

hey guys-

New to the forum...i've been lurking for years because a gt3rs/gt3 has always been a dream car...I'm a huge porsche fan and they are my favorite car company.

Question...I currently have a 2018 c63 with a tune thats putting down around 600hp and close to that for tq.

I drove a 2018 gt3rs fairly recently and I wasn't that impressed with speed.

Have any of you raced a tuned amg before? I was pretty disappointed when driving the g3rs with the speed factor. Everything else I loved. However, if I get into a new car I'd want it to be faster then what I currently drive and I am about to buy a new house and after that a new car...I was thinking a gt3rs, but now i'm reconsidering.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2019, 01:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,605 Likes on 744 Posts

Unless you get a TT or GT2RS, they aren't great drag race cars. Better keep AMG.
The following users liked this post:
Yargk (08-07-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 01:32 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kings4thecup
hey guys-

New to the forum...i've been lurking for years because a gt3rs/gt3 has always been a dream car...I'm a huge porsche fan and they are my favorite car company.

Question...I currently have a 2018 c63 with a tune thats putting down around 600hp and close to that for tq.

Have any of you raced a tuned amg before? I was pretty disappointed when driving the g3rs with the speed factor. Everything else I loved. However, if I get into a new car I'd want it to be faster then what I currently drive and I am about to buy a new house and after that a new car...I was thinking a gt3rs, but now i'm reconsidering.

Thanks!
As stated, it’s not a drag car. If that’s what matters to you, it’s a ton of money spent on performance that doesn’t interest you. Having said that, the GT3 RS has posted high 10’s in the quarter (stock). There aren’t many tuned C63’s that can say that. They might not feel as quick as a torquey turbo V8, but the #’s don’t lie.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:36 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

If you want to be a 0-60 burnout muscle car guy keep your amg. If you want a more comprehensive sports car driving experience buy a 911. If you want to pretend to be a race car driver buy a porsche GT car.

GT3s aren't torque monsters but they do put down low 3 second 0-60 with pdks / launch control. Doubt the C63 is a sub 3 second car but maybe Im wrong. Raw acceleration is pretty far down the list of priorities for most here. Otherwise we’d all save our money and buy corvettes and amgs. Even a pdk 911 GTS is as fast in a straight line as a GT3.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:50 PM
kings4thecup
Rennlist Member

speed isn't everything...that's for sure. Maybe I was just expecting it to be much faster.

We all know the Porsche is a much better looking car that's for sure!

What is most of your reasoning to get a gt3rs over a gt3? For those that have the rs.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:09 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 240 Posts

It's probably faster than your tuned C63, but you can't drive it the same way as a boosted car and expect it to be faster everywhere. You gotta work for your power with revs with these cars. If you prefer the midrange and torque power delivery of a boosted motor then get a Turbo or 2RS is budget allows.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:22 PM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

I know exactly what you mean. My daily is a E63S.

The AMG is a monster and a cruiser at the same time. Super bipolar (in a good way).

I own a Manual GT3, and drive it for the love of revving it out and shifting myself. You need some good twisty backroads to understand what this car is about. Going fast in a straight line is not what this car was built for.

They are very different and do not compare. If you are looking for more power, you should consider getting a supercharged Huracan or something along those lines.

If you are still interested in Porsche, consider driving a manual version. Let us know what you end up doing
Old 08-05-2019, 02:26 PM
kings4thecup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brosef
As stated, it’s not a drag car. If that’s what matters to you, it’s a ton of money spent on performance that doesn’t interest you. Having said that, the GT3 RS has posted high 10’s in the quarter (stock). There aren’t many tuned C63’s that can say that. They might not feel as quick as a torquey turbo V8, but the #’s don’t lie.
i think stock c63 does a Q mile in low 11.3-4 or so... im sure with a tune its gotta be close to high 10s if not low 11's.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:27 PM
kings4thecup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RLNTL3S
I know exactly what you mean. My daily is a E63S.

The AMG is a monster and a cruiser at the same time. Super bipolar (in a good way).

I own a Manual GT3, and drive it for the love of revving it out and shifting myself. You need some good twisty backroads to understand what this car is about. Going fast in a straight line is not what this car was built for.

They are very different and do not compare. If you are looking for more power, you should consider getting a supercharged Huracan or something along those lines.

If you are still interested in Porsche, consider driving a manual version. Let us know what you end up doing

nice you know exactly my feeling then. I was debating about upgrading to an E63 too actually.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:37 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

i think stock c63 does a Q mile in low 11.3-4 or so... im sure with a tune its gotta be close to high 10s if not low 11's.

looks like the stock car does about 12 seconds flat (which is consistent with published results for the C63S coupe: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...e-test-review/) and a tuned car does mid 11's.

here's a stock GT3RS:

so even a stock GT3RS is much faster than a tuned C63, but that's not to say it will FEEL that much faster because of the difference in torque. in everyday driving, the C63 will feel much more effortless, but when you step on it, the GT3 will pull away from a tuned C63.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

My wife had a 2018 amg c63... for a year. We were not impressed with the car..it's gone now. Quality is a step below a Porsche and others like Audi and BMW. Engine was nice but didn't grip drive and corner as well as expected. Lots of creaky andcrattke noises and fit and finish issues.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:53 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

hey guys-

Thanks!
Did you mean acceleration vs speed? The GT3RS is a very fast car but acceleration from around 40 mph or so cannot compare with a tuned forced-induction (turbo) engine. A 600HP/~600TQ turbo engine like your tuned C63 will give you that push-back in the seat feeling when you punch the gas while the GT3RS' 346lb-ft of torque from its naturally aspirated engine will never feel as punchy. while it's a very fast car, the 3RS has a more linear power delivery vs the tuned turbo C63's boost-aided low-end torque outburst. If you want a dragster (i.e., 1/4 mile or stoplight racer) then most naturally aspirated engine cars will fall short to a boost enabled turbo or super-charged car. The 991 turbo/S is the Porsche you want. Test drive that car and report back. The beauty of the Porsche vehicle line-up is that there is a car for almost every application. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:01 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

does not compare to porsche gt cars...gt cars much faster and way better built
Old 08-05-2019, 03:36 PM
majedameeri
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I have raced two modified 2016 C63S sedans and a stock C63 S coupe. I can confirm that my pretty old 2015 991.1 GT3 can easily pass the stock C63S coupe on a 70 Mph roll race till speeds of 160 MPH. Moreover, the two modified C63S I raced were sedans but, both had a tune, decat downpipes, and intakes. These were pretty much side by side with my car depending driver reaction. I do have to say at lower speeds the gearing on the C63 is better suited to slower rolls, but on higher speeds the GT3 is superior. I do understand the feeling that the GT3s don't "feel" fast as the smooth torque curve that comes on at high revs makes the power feel controlled and not deamatic.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:20 PM
kings4thecup
Rennlist Member

im not saying the benz is a better built car in anyway...in terms of creaks and stuff...i dont have any with my car. Maybe i'm lucky.

I get what you guys are saying...obviously a FI car is going to feel faster initially. I guess maybe I just needed to see what everyone's opinion was.

I came from a 2010 ISF to a 2018 c63 a year ago and the handling was way way way better then the ISF so I could only imagine the gt3/RS. What does a tune yield for these cars?

Quick Reply: GT3RS/GT3 vs C63 w/ tune