Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time tracking my 991.2 GT3 RS at Laguna Seca with PCA

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 02:29 PM
pvgolfer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran in the Red DE group as well. Nice meeting you guys. I was in the Silver GT4 #183 parked near you guys.

Serge's congo line pict above says it all !!! Very crowded run groups. During the driver's meeting, they asked everyone to grid in one of three lanes (fast, med, slow)... Seemed like everyone went for the "fast" lane. That lane was full 15 mins before the start of each session. Would suggest that they grid by (self reporting) times. Since they were not running official times, it would be based on each driver's estimated/recorded time.

First session on Saturday consisted of 2 out laps, followed by a full course black flag which just brought everyone into the pits, only to be released back out onto the track totally stacked up again. Blown last session due to tire wall repair.

PCA tried to make it up to us by giving back the session on Sunday afternoon. This rescheduling provided a first session at 10am, with 3 more sessions after 1 pm.... Since I live in SoCal and planned to leave at lunchtime, it wasn't worth running any sessions on Sunday. Would have been worth considering if they optioned for 2 morning sessions and 2 afternoon sessions on Sunday.

If they offer this next year, I think I'll opt for Thurs/Friday only.

In any event, it was good to meet some of the NorCal guys and hope that these lessons/suggestions are considered for next time.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:54 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Saturday was a zoo. So many people that it's really not surprising! I think this best describes Saturday:
I was so bummed by saturday I rebooked my ticket back to Canada to Saturday night and left my Sunday day unused. Even forgoing track day and hotel booking seemed like a better deal than driving like on a busy highway. I will not come back next year unless the format is changed. I remember I was at PCA days with 4 run groups rather than 2, and the pace in Red was MUCH better. Having just two groups pushed too many cars and less experienced drivers into each group.

Oh, I was in Lizard RS with 79 numbers, but not the other 79 Lizard RS that refused to give point bys. Somehow there ended up being two identical cars with number 79 in the red group. But my car has permanent numbers, so I could not change it even though the organizers gave me some stern talking for not giving point bys on Friday (and I was not there on Friday to begin with).
Old 08-01-2019, 04:20 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thursday was good. Friday was full. I only planned on those 2 days - having assumed that Sat would be racing-centric, and DE would
of course be de-prioritized. It pretty much has to work that way.

GGR PCA - I thought - was better than it often is keeping things moving. Have to give them some credit.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Sounds like a **** show.
two identical cars with same numbers. Nuff said.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:09 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Sooo.... let's hear more about the GT4 DE driver who decided to ignore everyone and drive out onto the track in the middle of a race? LOL!

Loud sound days tend to draw out even more kooks than normal, which is why you don't see me at them. No need to when the gps box and turnaways put me at 88db
Old 08-01-2019, 07:57 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Sooo.... let's hear more about the GT4 DE driver who decided to ignore everyone and drive out onto the track in the middle of a race? LOL!

Loud sound days tend to draw out even more kooks than normal, which is why you don't see me at them. No need to when the gps box and turnaways put me at 88db
I missed that one, but there was an aircooled 911 racecar driving 60mph around the track during several DE sessions and not giving any point-bys (it was point-by passing only). But in general, it was not like an independent unlimited sounds track day with cruising Lambos and antique cars dropping fluids and parts everywhere. Just too many cars packed into just two groups.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:58 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It definitely brought out a lot of GT3s and GT3RS and some GT2RS amongst the Cup cars, GT4CS and other assorted & sundry race cars.
I think there were actually FEWER kooks, and PCA did a good job overall.

The number of people not giving point-bys was pretty normal IMHO. It's like a universal constant no matter the setting.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:33 AM
pvgolfer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by laranja
Thursday was good. Friday was full. I only planned on those 2 days - having assumed that Sat would be racing-centric, and DE would
of course be de-prioritized. It pretty much has to work that way.

GGR PCA - I thought - was better than it often is keeping things moving. Have to give them some credit.
Yeah overall, I think it was a successful event for PCA. The races seemed to go well. A couple of friends participated in the races and they had no complaints. Just a couple of minor changes in the DE portion would really make this an outstanding event. In fact, the original plan had called for Advanced DE drivers only, then it was opened up to all levels of drivers. That may have contributed to the confusion in the DE sessions. Hope to see PCA make some little fixes in the DE sessions for next year.

I normally run with the PCA SDR (San Diego) guys, but have done a couple of events with PCA GGR. I do like the GGR folks, as they are generally very welcoming and organized - a good group!

Didn't hear about this... Must have occurred during Sunday's races?
Old 08-02-2019, 04:12 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Guilty as charged, Oppsie. haha I had a little mechanical issue before the 2nd Red DE session, had Vali work on it and fix it, and I lost track of time figuring that I'd get out on track before the red DE session ended prior to lunch. At least I got 4 laps in before I got black flagged...those spec boxsters didn't have anything on me. LOL Let's just say that I got my *** chewed out and booted for the weekend (although I only lost 2 sessions). Good news was that I got back home at a reasonable hour.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:36 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Guilty as charged, Oppsie. haha I had a little mechanical issue before the 2nd Red DE session, had Vali work on it and fix it, and I lost track of time figuring that I'd get out on track before the red DE session ended prior to lunch. At least I got 4 laps in before I got black flagged...those spec boxsters didn't have anything on me. LOL Let's just say that I got my *** chewed out and booted for the weekend (although I only lost 2 sessions). Good news was that I got back home at a reasonable hour.
LOL, I had no idea that was you! Nobody tried to stop you in the hot pits as you entered the track?
We've all made mistakes, but I can't argue with getting booted for that one. LOL
Unfortunately, one of the spec boxster racers I know thought the black flag was for him and his race got screwed up. Glad there were no disasters.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:03 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

LOL, I had no idea that was you! Nobody tried to stop you in the hot pits as you entered the track?
We've all made mistakes, but I can't argue with getting booted for that one. LOL
Unfortunately, one of the spec boxster racers I know thought the black flag was for him and his race got screwed up. Glad there were no disasters.
Yeah, pretty bonehead move and the chewing out I got was well deserved but it's all good nothing happened. That was the interesting thing, I know they saw me go into the hot pit and no one paid attention to me so I didn't think twice about going out onto track. They didn't have anything in the grinding area or the hot pit of which group was out on track which would have obviously helped. I was like, why are there only boxsters out there after 3-4 laps but hey at least my Cayman was fully track prepped and I was wearing my fire suit. haha
Old 08-03-2019, 12:23 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, pretty bonehead move and the chewing out I got was well deserved but it's all good nothing happened. That was the interesting thing, I know they saw me go into the hot pit and no one paid attention to me so I didn't think twice about going out onto track. They didn't have anything in the grinding area or the hot pit of which group was out on track which would have obviously helped. I was like, why are there only boxsters out there after 3-4 laps but hey at least my Cayman was fully track prepped and I was wearing my fire suit. haha
LOL!!! You should just race now- you have won many DE trophies
Old 08-03-2019, 02:46 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC640
LOL!!! You should just race now- you have won many DE trophies
Nah, I like the controlled passing environment of DEs and I'm a puss when it comes to aggressive passing so I wouldn't do well in club racing. I'm kinda amazing that I got 4 laps in before I got black flagged. haha
Old 08-03-2019, 10:50 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Nah, I like the controlled passing environment of DEs and I'm a puss when it comes to aggressive passing so I wouldn't do well in club racing. I'm kinda amazing that I got 4 laps in before I got black flagged. haha
You never know. You should try it some day. I was hesitant for a long time like you, but after I tried it, there was no looking back. The problem with track days is that I was there just to beat my PB. That required ideal conditions, tires, traffic, and mindset. If that wasn't there, then the day was just meh. With racing, everybody has to deal with the same conditions, so it's all about the competition, which is what really makes it fun for me. No excuses, no ridiculous claims of losing 2 seconds because you had to lift for sound, or any of that garbage. Whoever crosses the line first. That's it. I will admit with racing there is increased risk, but that is why most of us race SM or SBR.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:46 PM
kevin1244
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
The GMG exhaust on my 2016RS is perfect...maybe a little on the loud side @ full throttle.

Always happy with GMG products.

To the OP...beautiful cars use in good health.
Thank you Sir!
The following users liked this post:
gmgracing (08-05-2019)

Quick Reply: First time tracking my 991.2 GT3 RS at Laguna Seca with PCA