Radar Mirror Tap

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 11:17 PM
rhk118
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by c615586
I wonder if this would work?

​​​​​​I could split the power out of the RJ-11 connector on the MirrorTap and then power the Uniden with the RJ-11 connector and the dash cam with the micro usb. I know next to nothing about electrical wiring, though.
there is a similar unit I saw that will let you run 12v mirror tap for the R7 and split to the 5v usb (and only uses 1 set of wires)...Google “mirror tap radar detector and dash cam” and you might find it. For fuse box I used a fuze power tap and tapped off one of the switches fuses there - keeps functionality of original fuse and adds another for both. Sorry to not be more specific not near a computer right now to copy and paste links.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:21 PM
rhk118
Pro

Found it, hope this helps:

https://www.rdforum.org/threads/75607/
Old 10-19-2020, 11:59 PM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rhk118
Found it, hope this helps:

https://www.rdforum.org/threads/75607/
This is perfect! Thanks!

I found their website, you can submit a request directly to through the site.
http://safe-n-sound1.com/
Old 10-20-2020, 12:33 AM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Well... I tried contacting the vendor through their website as well as sending an email directly. They may not be in business anymore.
I did find a similar vendor and sent them an inquiry. Will post back if I hear anything.
http://invisicord.com/osc2/catalog/index.php
Old 10-20-2020, 08:38 AM
rhk118
Pro

Originally Posted by c615586
Well... I tried contacting the vendor through their website as well as sending an email directly. They may not be in business anymore.
I did find a similar vendor and sent them an inquiry. Will post back if I hear anything.
http://invisicord.com/osc2/catalog/index.php
Well that’s a bummer, hopefully the guys above can hook you up. There is a fair amount of space up there just FYI in case one of these comes with a bulky adapter...
Old 02-28-2021, 07:43 PM
TsaiCo
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

hi, can someone verify, if using the mirror tap method, which harnesses to do place the prong into?

some video suggested the black one once the dome light when breaks free the headliner.

some used the blue and yellow

if both are capable, which is harness is more preferred for less prone to error code in the future?

I'm actually kinda confused actually, because, I am tap into any power source for the dash cam, not for radar mount if that matters.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:08 PM
rhk118
Pro

That is the correct harness. Mirror tap red to the blue (switched) wire power, and the black mirror tap to the brown wire. If you don't have a dimming mirror with power then you don't have switched but rather always on power up there and will need to run to the fusebox (preferably passenger side), although your photo looks completely correct so it should be working?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1059...e-install.html
Old 03-01-2021, 11:43 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 586 Likes on 363 Posts

That is the correct harness. Mirror tap red to the blue (switched) wire power, and the black mirror tap to the brown wire. If you don't have a dimming mirror with power then you don't have switched but rather always on power up there and will need to run to the fusebox (preferably passenger side), although your photo looks completely correct so it should be working?

My guy at the Dealer found switched power at the mirror on my .1 with no auto-dimming.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:24 PM
TsaiCo
Racer

thanks for the feedback. it does work in both harnesses. I'm just afraid some implication if we tap into one of these harnesses would compromise working circuitry in the long run (read somewhere...its bad...)

that's why should I even just tap into the fuse box rather?

if so, which fuse I can pull?

Old 03-01-2021, 10:03 PM
rhk118
Pro

Originally Posted by TsaiCo
thanks for the feedback. it does work in both harnesses. I'm just afraid some implication if we tap into one of these harnesses would compromise working circuitry in the long run (read somewhere...its bad...)

that's why should I even just tap into the fuse box rather?

if so, which fuse I can pull?
If you have switched power up there for the mirror then just use it. I see no reason to believe that it will cause any issues at all as radar detector draw is so low. If it pulls too much current you will blow a fuse, that’s all. Perhaps if you have auto wipers the draw might mess with them but I have 5 cars with radar detectors wired to the auto dimming mirror or even the safety camera system power up there by the mirror with zero issues ever.

If going to fuse box use a mini fuse tap and find a switched slot. It will create an independent circuit for the detector but maintain the fuse for the original circuit that is there. I have a 991.2 and wired to passenger box, second row up second one in from left side (I believe #5 if I remember, but don’t have the diagram available) that was switched power.
The following users liked this post:
pedal bliss (10-31-2023)
Old 03-01-2021, 10:05 PM
rhk118
Pro

Originally Posted by RDCR
My guy at the Dealer found switched power at the mirror on my .1 with no auto-dimming.
That would have been great for me but no auto dimming mirror for my 991.2 and tested all wires up there when I took it apart. Nothing was switched for me, even the reading lights, and I would invariably forget to turn the detector off one time and risk killing the battery, just ran it to the fuse box.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:53 AM
TsaiCo
Racer

If you have switched power up there for the mirror then just use it. I see no reason to believe that it will cause any issues at all as radar detector draw is so low. If it pulls too much current you will blow a fuse, that’s all. Perhaps if you have auto wipers the draw might mess with them but I have 5 cars with radar detectors wired to the auto dimming mirror or even the safety camera system power up there by the mirror with zero issues ever.

If going to fuse box use a mini fuse tap and find a switched slot. It will create an independent circuit for the detector but maintain the fuse for the original circuit that is there. I have a 991.2 and wired to passenger box, second row up second one in from left side (I believe #5 if I remember, but don’t have the diagram available) that was switched power.
‘thanks for all the tips, went with 5th one , occupant seat sensor, which made it more “flush” so I can close the fuse box door

Last edited by TsaiCo; 03-02-2021 at 02:55 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:29 PM
rhk118
Pro

Originally Posted by TsaiCo
‘thanks for all the tips, went with 5th one , occupant seat sensor, which made it more “flush” so I can close the fuse box door

Looks clean! I think mine is in that empty slot above where you went, but same result....FYI good username!
Old 10-27-2023, 11:03 PM
Vinh Nguyen
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 97 Posts

dumb question but how do you tell if you have an auto dimming mirror or not
Old 10-31-2023, 07:38 PM
pedal bliss
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinh Nguyen
dumb question but how do you tell if you have an auto dimming mirror or not
If you do not you will have a Flickable black tab on the bottom to move the mirror. If you do then you have a button on the FRONT bottom that has an orange light turn off and on when you press it. you will also see at night mirror dim when you press this? Go to Blend mounts site if you want pictures, the first one on the left for the 981 cayman models has the self dimming mirror
Heres mine, it has no tab sticking out the back. If i took a photo of the front it would be easier to tell (I have self dimming mirror, and the auto rain wiper sensor):

The following users liked this post:
Vinh Nguyen (10-31-2023)

Quick Reply: Radar Mirror Tap