Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3RS WP vs GT3 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019 | 06:24 AM
hashash
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Non-WP RS also have CF hood and CF wing (they are just painted) and CF fenders/bumpers.
The only extra CF part on WP car is the roof (vs magnesium roof on non wp cars) which save 1.1 lbs.

Why you buy WP for looks or not if you don;t like it.
Spoiler also i think + steering wheel carbon trim
plus suspension antiroll bars are CF
Old 06-23-2019 | 05:09 PM
Dougr743
Pro

I think its more of a prior ownership history. Those who love shifting, cant give it up! theres no question, the pdk will out perform a manual, so manual lovers are not buying for lap times, Its a lap time value. Everyone talks about engagement and feedback etc etc. you cannot get as much without a manual. But if you are chasing lap times / Winning practice lol then the pdk is the car! If you were buying a race car to race, you would buy the fastest car. If you are buying a car to enjoy, and have other needs that deter you from the manual. buy a pdk. If you like driving a manual, buy the manual. its a great manual. You are in a great place either way. This is not a manual or DIE statement. i bought a manual. would not have bought a PDK, would have bought a 997 variant gt3 or rs!

Also, No one talks about your size, I am 6'4 and have had 997's in the past (never a gt3) and the gt3 997 buckets are tighter and have less room over the 4 ways so the 991 gives me that extra space and tech that i wanted for my weekend toy. I am going to put 1000 miles on this 4th weekend and it will be pleasant miles. with everything i want and need and cant wait! how you fit and how you feel in the car is also very important. I did not buy buckets.
Old 06-23-2019 | 05:12 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I did not know this. Now I know why there arent that many WPs. It doesnt make sense to spend $31,000 for this with the wheels. The wheels cost $19k separate and if you do that you also get to keep the stock set as a backup whereas if you buy the mag wheels on the car that is not the case. Also, I bet repairing those exposed CF components is near impossible if they are chipped.

Now the question is 6MT vs RS. The comments about smooth shifting of the RS is not something I would like. I owned many DCT BMWs and what I loved about them was in the most aggressive setting, the upshifts would jolt your neck. Is that not the case with RS? I dont want smooth quick shifts that feels like torque never drops (aka tesla style). I want rough and raw.

997.2 RS is an option too but the car is now almost 10 years old.
FYI: There are more WP cars than non WP cars.
Old 06-23-2019 | 05:22 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dougr743
I think its more of a prior ownership history. Those who love shifting, cant give it up! theres no question, the pdk will out perform a manual, so manual lovers are not buying for lap times, Its a lap time value. Everyone talks about engagement and feedback etc etc. you cannot get as much without a manual. But if you are chasing lap times / Winning practice lol then the pdk is the car! If you were buying a race car to race, you would buy the fastest car. If you are buying a car to enjoy, and have other needs that deter you from the manual. buy a pdk. If you like driving a manual, buy the manual. its a great manual. You are in a great place either way. This is not a manual or DIE statement. i bought a manual. would not have bought a PDK, would have bought a 997 variant gt3 or rs!

Also, No one talks about your size, I am 6'4 and have had 997's in the past (never a gt3) and the gt3 997 buckets are tighter and have less room over the 4 ways so the 991 gives me that extra space and tech that i wanted for my weekend toy. I am going to put 1000 miles on this 4th weekend and it will be pleasant miles. with everything i want and need and cant wait! how you fit and how you feel in the car is also very important. I did not buy buckets.
Its not that simple for me. I want a hardcore car and the car having pdk doesnt really preclude it from being hardcore. F1 cars or lemans cars are just as hardcore. I want raw, mechanical, intense. The problem i have with the standard gt3 is it looks too tame (if you can call gt3 tame) and too refined.
Old 06-23-2019 | 11:48 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Its not that simple for me. I want a hardcore car and the car having pdk doesnt really preclude it from being hardcore. F1 cars or lemans cars are just as hardcore. I want raw, mechanical, intense. The problem i have with the standard gt3 is it looks too tame (if you can call gt3 tame) and too refined.
Buy a GT3 Cup Car or a 997 4.0 RS.
Old 06-24-2019 | 12:02 AM
sting168
Intermediate

GT3 with wing is not a great road car since the wing blocks the rear view. GT3 Touring would be a much better choice for a road car.

For 3RS, absolutely go for the WP (w/ exposed carbon hood) and Mag wheels, it separates itself from all previous gens of 3RS, and I happen to think it looks great with these two options. The ride quality of the 3RS on freeways is surprisingly compliant, although any bumps will tell you it's a 3RS, but overall the ride quality is very good. The wing is tall so the rear visibility is good, no problem as a road car. However, PDK is still PDK, less engaged as a road car, much better for track use.

I'd rather have a GT3 Touring as a road car with occasional track duty. However if you're ok with PDK, I'd definitely go for the 3RS w/ WP+Mag over the GT3 with Wing, rear view is important as a road car, and it looks a lot more aggressive.

Good luck with your pursue!

Last edited by sting168; 06-24-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-24-2019 | 01:16 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

997.2 RS - spend some time driving one
Old 06-24-2019 | 02:27 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Based on your last post (hard core car), u likely need to go RS and probably even 997.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3RS WP vs GT3 6MT