Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick tire question:

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 06:14 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 553 Posts

Have it examined at a reputable tire shop.

For street driving it probably can be "patched" from the inside. This requires pulling the tire off the wheel. DO NOT PLUG IT FROM THE OUTSIDE.

The shop will inspect and determine if there is any chord damage. If not, the inside area is abraded and a special patch with a stem is inserted from the inside of the tire.

Note, there is only one specific type of patch that Michelin approves for these repairs, so ask questions.

I just had one of my tires patched on my Cayenne. Cost was about $70 out the door.

If you must replace the tire, you either need to have it shaved to match the other tire or buy two new ones. With over 4K miles on the tire you are probably at 40% to 50% wear (if its a rear tire). A new tire will have a different rolling circumference than the other side and that "may" stress the rear differential and/or impact the track of the car.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:21 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

Patch it. My tire shop uses a patch that has a plug as well.

I carry a high-end plug kit for long road trips, then patch the tires when I'm back home.

The PSC2 loves to pick-up nails when hot.

Rear tires need to be replaced in pairs, the aggressive diff will make the car pull to one side or the other on mismatch Overall Diameter tires.

Quick Reply: quick tire question: