Sponsored by:

PCCB’s on All School cars at Barber

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 11:02 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
RacingBrake makes stainless versions. Not pucks, but entire replacement pistons.
Yeah, but I'm not down with RB.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
Yeah, but I'm not down with RB.
Why? They are high quality right?
Old 06-27-2019, 05:57 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

There are horror stories from several years ago about their BBKs and/or rotors and that has generally pushed me away from them. Maybe the piston solution mentioned is low risk, but the braking system is critical and there's something to be said for going with companies like Brembo and AP (same company actually) that have years of R&D and racing experience.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

There are horror stories from several years ago about their BBKs and/or rotors and that has generally pushed me away from them. Maybe the piston solution mentioned is low risk, but the braking system is critical and there's something to be said for going with companies like Brembo and AP (same company actually) that have years of R&D and racing experience.
Got it...yes a companies history means a lot to me too. totally understand.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:56 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Was wear measured with rotors on the car or taken off? It was discovered a year or two ago that measuring rotors on car produces inaccurate results sometimes, exaggerating the wear (I cannot find the thread).
Per the 991 Porsche factory service repair manual, the rotors do not need to be removed from the car for exact measurement. For the exact measurement, only the calipers need to be removed. See image below:

Old 06-28-2019, 01:13 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
Per the 991 Porsche factory service repair manual, the rotors do not need to be removed from the car for exact measurement. For the exact measurement, only the calipers need to be removed. See image below:

Thanks for posting. I remember on the Turbo forum there was a big discussion about this where rotors measured on car showed huge amounts of wear to show 90%+ remaining when removed. This manual is worded somewhat ambiguously - "Note on quick measurement - a metallic heat shield will lower the measured value". I interpret this as that heat shield needs to be removed for the accurate measurement. But it's easier to remove the rotor than the shield once the caliper is off.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:43 AM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Thanks for posting. I remember on the Turbo forum there was a big discussion about this where rotors measured on car showed huge amounts of wear to show 90%+ remaining when removed. This manual is worded somewhat ambiguously - "Note on quick measurement - a metallic heat shield will lower the measured value". I interpret this as that heat shield needs to be removed for the accurate measurement. But it's easier to remove the rotor than the shield once the caliper is off.
I think the manual is saying that you should not measure the rotor in front of the heat shield for the exact measurement. So remove the caliper, and take the measurements from where the caliper was, so that there is no heat shield behind the measurer. In this fashion, you don't have to remove either the heat shield or the rotor.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:01 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Is it true that the pucks in the most recent version of the PCCBs on 991.2 cars are less prone to cracking?
I really have no idea. But I am sure this what Porsche will tell you.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 06-28-2019, 02:35 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,737 Likes on 1,829 Posts

My Porsche dealer insists rotors don't wear out and I should track them - I ask him to put that in writing and if his service team will swap them if they do wear out for no cost - he said he'll get back to me - so far he hasn't gotten back to me.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:47 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Brembo owns AP but it's a "hands off" management style by Brembo. They compete tooth and nail for Business. AP currently "owns " Nascar. Very very few teams are running Brembo in Nascar. Brembo has done a good job at getting on as OEM on most sportscars etc. They do this by selling the calipers and rotors to the manufactures for next to nothing. This is basically the same thing PFC did to get on all the Porsche CUP and GT4 CLubsport cars from the factory. APs aftermarket machine is second to none in North America (Essex Parts). If they don't have it on their website call and you get a response.
AP is kicking Brembo's a-- in the aftermarket.
Brembo's marketing plan seems to be nothing can be purchased from them from a website. They want to sell everything thru an aftermarket garage with no dealers or distributors. The only problem is this business plan is not working from what I can see. Last year I sold over $1,000,000 in brakes rotors and pads. I called the head Brembo guy and told him I would like to become a distributor and would be willing to do a buy in. The other end of the line went silent. ?????? I think I might be a little to honest about what I sell I don't know. I really don't care about Brembo any longer. (Their loss) On a limited basis I sell their RT RE-10 pads. Most brake pads coming in a Brembo box are Ferodo DS2500. Brembo doesn't make brake pads.
AP racing calipers are much much better than Brembos this is one reason AP has been so successful in Nascar. When Brembo went back to the fixed back caliper they shot themselves directly in the foot. Have had alot of Porsche guys buy AP BBKs just so they didn't have to take the caliper off to change pads.
Essex AP BBKs are the best but they are also very expensive. I will sell in the neighborhood of $250,000 worth of Essex AP BBKs this year. Some into Porsche, BMWs, Corvettes, MUstang GT350s etc etc.
Your point about RB is well taken.......run home get under the bed and hide. PLease excuse my ramblings.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:46 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=krell;15935114]Only aware of one company offering these (Auto Quest) and pricing isn't favorable.

Giro Disc is making the Titanium pucks pretty soon. Stand by. I pretty much guarantee they will be less than Gavin's at Auto Quest.
The following users liked this post:
mdrums (06-29-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 04:08 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
Brembo owns AP but it's a "hands off" management style by Brembo. They compete tooth and nail for Business. AP currently "owns " Nascar. Very very few teams are running Brembo in Nascar. Brembo has done a good job at getting on as OEM on most sportscars etc. They do this by selling the calipers and rotors to the manufactures for next to nothing. This is basically the same thing PFC did to get on all the Porsche CUP and GT4 CLubsport cars from the factory. APs aftermarket machine is second to none in North America (Essex Parts). If they don't have it on their website call and you get a response.
AP is kicking Brembo's a-- in the aftermarket.
Brembo's marketing plan seems to be nothing can be purchased from them from a website. They want to sell everything thru an aftermarket garage with no dealers or distributors. The only problem is this business plan is not working from what I can see. Last year I sold over $1,000,000 in brakes rotors and pads. I called the head Brembo guy and told him I would like to become a distributor and would be willing to do a buy in. The other end of the line went silent. ?????? I think I might be a little to honest about what I sell I don't know. I really don't care about Brembo any longer. (Their loss) On a limited basis I sell their RT RE-10 pads. Most brake pads coming in a Brembo box are Ferodo DS2500. Brembo doesn't make brake pads.
AP racing calipers are much much better than Brembos this is one reason AP has been so successful in Nascar. When Brembo went back to the fixed back caliper they shot themselves directly in the foot. Have had alot of Porsche guys buy AP BBKs just so they didn't have to take the caliper off to change pads.
Essex AP BBKs are the best but they are also very expensive. I will sell in the neighborhood of $250,000 worth of Essex AP BBKs this year. Some into Porsche, BMWs, Corvettes, MUstang GT350s etc etc.
Your point about RB is well taken.......run home get under the bed and hide. PLease excuse my ramblings.
Clark, you've never been one to sugar coat anything, both here and when we've talked on the phone!

I think we can all agree both brands are good at what they do. Frankly I don't care if someone else makes Race Tech's pads; their RE-10s are great for my needs after using PFCs for years.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:15 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
My Porsche dealer insists rotors don't wear out and I should track them - I ask him to put that in writing and if his service team will swap them if they do wear out for no cost - he said he'll get back to me - so far he hasn't gotten back to me.
Think they are taught to say they last forever. But we all know it is wahoo. If you go back when they go bad he will down the street selling Chevys.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:49 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

I see your point. But Brembo is the one who makes the crappy piston/pucks that require "fixing" in the first place. Where's their years of R&D when it comes to this?
Old 06-28-2019, 05:52 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

I see your point. But Brembo is the one who makes the crappy piston/pucks that require "fixing" in the first place. Where's their years of R&D when it comes to this?
It's my understanding this is done at Porsche's request, which is a dumb one. None of Brembo's aftermarket BBKs have these pucks (I know, I have a six piston and four piston on my M3) and they function just fine. So blame Porsche, not Brembo.

Quick Reply: PCCB’s on All School cars at Barber