991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Fault, differential lock" meaning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 02:26 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,503 Likes on 2,561 Posts

My transmission failed and the flywheel was badly damaged. Cost $19K to fix, Porsche didn't provide any warranty coverage or discount, despite only 38K miles on the car. Seems that the car wasn't truly built to last.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:27 PM
Chad kai
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohhhh damm that hurts. Really sorry to hear that
Old 08-17-2021, 04:56 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
My transmission failed and the flywheel was badly damaged. Cost $19K to fix, Porsche didn't provide any warranty coverage or discount, despite only 38K miles on the car. Seems that the car wasn't truly built to last.
I have been concerned about this very issue. The GT engines and PDK have a history of Porsche replacement rather than local repair. This does note bode well for long term maintenance and longevity. Cost is difficult to assess. A top and bottom rebuild on an air cooled flat six can easily run $20K USD, but the people and parts are available to do the job.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,127 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I have been concerned about this very issue. The GT engines and PDK have a history of Porsche replacement rather than local repair. This does note bode well for long term maintenance and longevity. Cost is difficult to assess. A top and bottom rebuild on an air cooled flat six can easily run $20K USD, but the people and parts are available to do the job.
Since the GT3 and Cup motors share almost all the same internals, it should be possible to buy Motorsport engine parts to rebuild a GT3 engine. PDK might be more challenging.

And a top notch complete air-cooled engine rebuild is unfortunately well north of $20k these days (and a GT3 build would be a good deal more)...

Last edited by GrantG; 08-17-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:56 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Since the GT3 and Cup motors share almost all the same internals, it should be possible to buy Motorsport engine parts to rebuild a GT3 engine. PDK might be more challenging.

And a top notch complete air-cooled engine rebuild is unfortunately well north of $20k these days (and a GT3 build would be a good deal more)...
I was quoted the $20K about 5 years ago when I was considering a solid but tired ‘69 S. Not surprising that prices have substantially increased.
Old 09-20-2023, 08:30 PM
Jetscape
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Valve Part Number?

Chad,

I recently developed the same problem on 2015 991 Carrera S. Intermittent issue. Error comes out intermittently. I just have to turn off ignition, then on. And it goes away.. Can you provide part number of valve that you changed? I want to show it my porsche dealer. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Chad kai
Hello, sorry to hear about yours. It turned to be that the valve/breather of the gear is not working properly. It needs to be changed. This valve usually opens when there is a high steam in gear to release the steam or vapour but if it does not work properly then it will open not for steam but also for oil, then it will start leaking some oil drops underneath the gear. All the best

Quick Reply: "Fault, differential lock" meaning?