GT3 Towing Setup (Lots of Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 10:49 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Samson911
Gents,

I wanted to share my tow setup after an awesome trip to Watkins Glen. Thanks to Zone 1 PCA for hosting a great event!

Towing Setup:
- Macan S (Tow Vehicle)
- Trailex CT-8045
- Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
- Weigh Safe Trailer Hitch
When you get a chance, buy a set of front and rear Rennline tow hook. Front ones mounts in the front jacking plate and serves as a stronger jacking point. Rear ones mount to the rear most part of the sub-frame.

Strapping through the wheels causes changes on the static alignment (camber, toe) on long tows, or bumpy ones. The straps move and their move is abrasive on the wheels paint (regardless of how soft the strap cover feels). Wheels can rotate during a bump, at which point the straps will get loose, and the car will be bouncing back and forth on the PDK.

Do you have info on the gas mileage you're getting? I have been towing with a Cayenne Turbo since 2008 (I'm on my third CTT), each newer one tows better than the one before, but I'm also considering a Macan TT to replace my Audi RS7 for daily duties and backup tow vehicle. The Macan TT has the air suspension which is super nice for towing, good torque and very good brakes. Being on a shorter wheelbase than the Cayenne, it should work well with a Futura Trailer (likely my next open trailer), although I always entertain the idea of getting a Panamera Turbo as a backup tow vehicle (longer wheelbase than the Cayenne, same drivetrain but PDK for a little extra towing fun).
Trailex makes an air-dam for the CT-8045, I have had 4 open trailers, and 2 of them were CT-8045, I'm always tempted to go back to them as they are so light, but the Futura got my attention at a recent track event.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 AM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyTopTenn
I think that means that you're supposed to ALWAYS tow with the Macan...

at @Samson911 /OP, if you don't mind, could you tell me how much did you get the 8045 for? Been thinking it's better to tow to the track (4.5hr drive down to VIR) than drive the GT3. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:55 AM
Samson911
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LandShark

at @Samson911 /OP, if you don't mind, could you tell me how much did you get the 8045 for? Been thinking it's better to tow to the track (4.5hr drive down to VIR) than drive the GT3. Thanks.

No problem! Feel free to PM me, or give Jason Henderson a shout directly. I know lots of dealers try to sell them for MSRP, but I got a very good discount off MSRP, and I'm sure Henderson could hook you up with the same.

Quick Reply: GT3 Towing Setup (Lots of Pictures)