Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need counseling from the docs here

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 04:18 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

I guess now I see why Porsche makes many variants of 911. I had a 2015 GTS PDK- but for me it was a little too soft and needed to be lowered a tad. At certain times could use a little more power...stepped into a TT but more preferred NA high revs. Satisfied this with GT3.

Folks have different preferences — that’s what makes it fun to look around the market.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:38 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lbcgolf
Wow, lot's of thanks for the invaluable advice!

A lot of food for thought here. Don't wanna go 991.2 (non-GT3) because of the forced induction. But some of the other options are very intriguing I must admit. A 997 GT3 in various vintages, 991.1 GTS MT, makes me think I can dole out $100k or less for 1 of those (haven't looked) and that'd be the same or less than if I sold my cab and got a 991.2 GT3 MT... maybe the missus won't put my nads in a sling... too much, lol.

Or I could keep the cab, get the GT3 and roll the dice. People on both sides of that fence too.

Super helpful stuff, thanks!
Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission usually
Old 05-15-2019, 08:25 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Wow, lot's of thanks for the invaluable advice!

A lot of food for thought here. Don't wanna go 991.2 (non-GT3) because of the forced induction. But some of the other options are very intriguing I must admit. A 997 GT3 in various vintages, 991.1 GTS MT, makes me think I can dole out $100k or less for 1 of those (haven't looked) and that'd be the same or less than if I sold my cab and got a 991.2 GT3 MT... maybe the missus won't put my nads in a sling... too much, lol.

Or I could keep the cab, get the GT3 and roll the dice. People on both sides of that fence too.

Super helpful stuff, thanks!
I'd consider a Targa GTS in your situation because those second set of seats are important, here's a NA example, I'm sure you can find one with a man tran.
https://www.dupontregistry.com/autos...4--gts/1973106

I'm in the same boat as you, four kids, 15, 13, 12 & 7. Those older kids can't ride in back and so I moved to a 3 Touring, yes there are times, in a pinch, when I want a third seat (a forth behind the driver - no way).

Anyway I enjoy the coital comforts of home so I had to be relatively transparent with my transaction.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:11 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Not the same as me! You need 2 x 3 row SUVs, lol

This:
Originally Posted by Bruce R
I enjoy the coital comforts of home so...
Therefore:
Originally Posted by Bruce R
...four kids, 15, 13, 12 & 7
All kidding aside, thanks for the suggestions. I've always been partial to the Targas. Some years back I lost my closest friend who drank the Stuttgart Kool-Aid long before I did. He owned early to mid-80s Targas that leaked like sieves 2 or 3 at a time, so I've always wanted to buy one to remember him by. The 50th Anniversary, like the GTSs have the powerkit, so that may also be an option...
Old 05-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Nendo
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe go for a turbo S cab 991.1 and keep the GT3

I have had GT3 and a Targa for a lil while. I drive the targa with the kids and the GT3 alone.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:35 PM
Gasman85
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 30 Posts

GT3 touring and retrofit some back seats in there
Old 06-06-2019, 03:52 AM
lbcgolf
Racer

Well...

I haven't set off to buy a car in this state of mind EVER! I started out wanting to swap my cab for a GT3, then everything went pear shaped. If I was going to keep the cab so that my whole family could continue to experience the 911 together, then I didn't know if I wanted to shell out a whole 200 smackers for a new or newish GT3. Then it was suggested in this space that there are plenty of MT P-car options in the low six figure range that I could buy without trading my cab for it.

I looked at 997 GT3s, Cayman GT4s, 991 Targas were non-starters, as MT Targas were pretty difficult to find, and a few other candidates I forgot about. But at the end of the day I felt that whether I was spending $100k or twice as much as that, I couldn't pull the trigger unless it felt "special" to me... whatever that was, logic be dammed. Turns out it didn't take long to find what I wanted and lobby the missus hard that I NEEDED this car, lol.

Ergo...

Didn't much care for the looks of the factory GT3 wheels (they came in satin silver) so I swapped them for FI-Rs in platinum gloss.

As a side note, we had a wedding anniversary last weekend... and had to purchase an EXPENSIVE anniversary gift to the missus to make her come around. Marriage tax is a b!tch, lol.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:44 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats, that color is great!! Marriage tax *is* a bitch... bought my second 964 and then had to get a new bathroom, a new fridge and another boob upgrade. =/
I have to ask, though... do you store all the cars outside? Is there a garage somewhere?
Old 06-06-2019, 10:26 AM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 51 Posts

Great choice! Congratulations and I hope the GT3 scratches that itch.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:53 AM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Scratching that itch sure feels good, doesn't it? Details on the car?
Old 06-06-2019, 12:16 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Nice. I almost bought that car the week-end before you did. Gemini blue looks good.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:25 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Gorgeous! Congrats..Good luck with missus ��
Old 06-06-2019, 04:21 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Originally Posted by tonymission
Congrats, that color is great!! Marriage tax *is* a bitch... bought my second 964 and then had to get a new bathroom, a new fridge and another boob upgrade. =/
I have to ask, though... do you store all the cars outside? Is there a garage somewhere?
I have a 2 car garage in the back. Haven't quite worked out but in all likelihood the 2 911s go in there, while my Cayenne and the missus's Sport Turismo goes on the driveway or the street, as they are our daily drivers.

Boob upgrade, hmm... gotta lobby for that next time.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:25 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Originally Posted by C5driver
Scratching that itch sure feels good, doesn't it? Details on the car?
Yup.

PTS Gemini Blue manual
Leather/Alcantara w/ grey stitching
Extended range fuel tank
Front axle lift
PDLS
Bose
Interior carbon fiber trim
LWBS
Carbon fiber door sill guards
Instrument dials in white
Guards red seat belts

Every other P-car I've owned have come with Sport Chrono except this one. So when I get in, I'm like... "Hey where's my analog clock in the middle?!?!" lol. No biggie. It's not like I abused the launch control on my other cars, and I'm not gonna use the lap timer since I don't intend to track it.
Old 08-17-2023, 03:15 AM
jackwilliam1
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...

I haven't set off to buy a car in this state of mind EVER! I started out wanting to swap my cab for a GT3, then everything went pear shaped. If I was going to keep the cab so that my whole family could continue to experience the 911 together, then I didn't know if I wanted to shell out a whole 200 smackers for a new or newish GT3. Then it was suggested in this space that there are plenty of MT P-car options in the low six figure range that I could buy without trading my cab for it.

I looked at 997 GT3s, Cayman GT4s, 991 Targas were non-starters, as MT Targas were pretty difficult to find, and a few other candidates I forgot about. But at the end of the day I felt that whether I was spending $100k or twice as much as that, I couldn't pull the trigger unless it felt "special" to me... whatever that was, logic be dammed. Turns out it didn't take long to find what I wanted and lobby the missus hard that I NEEDED this car, lol.

Ergo...

Didn't much care for the looks of the factory GT3 wheels (they came in satin silver) so I swapped them for FI-Rs in platinum gloss.

As a side note, we had a wedding anniversary last weekend... and had to purchase an EXPENSIVE anniversary gift to the missus to make her come around. Marriage tax is a b!tch, lol.
It sounds like you had quite the journey in deciding on the right car for yourself. From considering a GT3 to exploring various P-car options in the low six figure range, it's clear that finding a vehicle that felt "special" to you was your priority, regardless of logic. Congratulations on finding the car you wanted and convincing the missus, even if it required an expensive anniversary gift! The choice to swap out the factory GT3 wheels for FI-Rs in platinum gloss to suit your tastes shows how personalizing your car can add to that feeling of uniqueness. Enjoy your new car and the experiences it brings!

Quick Reply: Need counseling from the docs here