GT2RS vs GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 04:13 AM
hashash
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 147 Posts
Default GT2RS vs GT3RS

Hello
i took delivery of my 2019 2RS - to join my 2019 3RS in the garage ! I drove it for 75 miles , and during that drive a lot of the cars differences became evident !

1- the 2RS rides significantly better ! Yes i checked the tire pressures for both and its spot on . The 3RS is more stiff despite both having same tires (mich cup 2) .

2- the 2RS with the exhaust button on is much louder - it makes a big difference in the sound level ! Much more so than the 3rs.

3- the red interior is a must , it looks incredible and adds to the special feeling of the car - a must !

4- the cars look very similar but i love the front of the 2 and the rear of the 3 !

5- the engine partial throttle is a bit more torquey than the 3 , didnt have a chance to push it due to breaking in the motor.

6- the 3RS with AWE exhaust is much louder than the stock 2 , the engine in the 3 also vibrates more and overall feeling of a more aggressive motor.

7- i love the carbon louvers in the 2 . Much better looking than the plastic ones .

8- the seats in the 2RS (carbon fiber sports - not available in NA) are more comfortable and getting in and out is much easier than the LWB in the 3 .

I am waiting for it to come back from the ppf install to better compare the cars !

Sorry for the messy garage !
Old 04-23-2019, 04:24 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 101 Posts

Most people who own both said GT2 RS is more stiff than .2 GT3 RS

Exhaust inside is much louder inside the .2 GT3 RS is what i was told and that GT2 RS exhaust sounds really good for a turbo engine but only from outside

Nice to see different feedback from different people who own both. I personally prefer the looks of the .2 GT3 RS front and rear.

Enjoy both cars to the max and congrats! Share pics of them together when you get the chance
Old 04-23-2019, 11:52 AM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

So I was fortunate to get an allocation for a GT2RS, GT3RS and a Touring. My 2rs arrived first and after 3 months and a couple thousand miles I traded it back to the dealer (did not flip) as a down payment on the other two cars. While the 2RS is truly an unreal car, it is not as fun as the other two cars and not as visceral an experience. The 2RS is almost too fast for street driving because 3rd gear is doubling the speed limit in almost all jurisdictions. Additionally, it climbs the RPMs so fast you are almost better leaving it in AUTO because of the lower Redline. It is an amazing car and as beautiful as a piece of furniture but my other two cars are just more fun to drive. I know that many will look at this as pure snobbery but thought I would give an opinion from a guy who recognizes I am lucky enough to be able to do this. Nobody will ever say any of these cars are anything but awesome but for me the NA and high RPMs make it fun to drive.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:03 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by SDGT3
So I was fortunate to get an allocation for a GT2RS, GT3RS and a Touring. My 2rs arrived first and after 3 months and a couple thousand miles I traded it back to the dealer (did not flip) as a down payment on the other two cars. While the 2RS is truly an unreal car, it is not as fun as the other two cars and not as visceral an experience. The 2RS is almost too fast for street driving because 3rd gear is doubling the speed limit in almost all jurisdictions. Additionally, it climbs the RPMs so fast you are almost better leaving it in AUTO because of the lower Redline. It is an amazing car and as beautiful as a piece of furniture but my other two cars are just more fun to drive. I know that many will look at this as pure snobbery but thought I would give an opinion from a guy who recognizes I am lucky enough to be able to do this. Nobody will ever say any of these cars are anything but awesome but for me the NA and high RPMs make it fun to drive.
To be fair, in either the 3RS or GT3, the top of third gear is also way... way... over the speed limit anywhere in the USA.
I've not driven a 2RS (would love to). But the drama you get with the NA 9K engine is intoxicating for sure.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,029 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Originally Posted by SDGT3
Originally Posted by FourT6and2
To be fair, in either the 3RS or GT3, the top of third gear is also way... way... over the speed limit anywhere in the USA.
I've not driven a 2RS (would love to). But the drama you get with the NA 9K engine is intoxicating for sure.
Both the 3RS and 2RS are too fast for the street (they might arguably be too fast for the track for some people).

Whereas the 9K howl of the 3RS is intoxicating, the immediate and unrelenting rush of torque of the 2RS is addicting.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:44 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 718 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Whereas the 9K howl of the 3RS is intoxicating, the immediate and unrelenting rush of torque of the 2RS is addicting.
This is spot on. I think they complement each other nicely in a collection. Add a Speedster and the 991 trifecta is complete.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:37 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The GT2RS is much stiffer than the GT3RS for sure.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:51 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

I think mine is too. Overall the 2RS feels more focused and aggressive than my 3RS. The only disadvantage is it's expensive. YMMV. I wasn't going to buy one then I did. Oh my.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:35 PM
hashash
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
The GT2RS is much stiffer than the GT3RS for sure.
well my experience is totally the opposite .!
but both are 2019
Old 04-23-2019, 07:01 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by hashash
well my experience is totally the opposite .!
but both are 2019
The spring rates on the 2RS and .2 3RS are both 100 N/mm front and 160 N/mm rear according to Porsche press release I can find.
The anti-roll bars on the 2RS are softer than the 3RS (according to Frank Walliser, VP of Porsche Motorsports). But in press articles they say the opposite, that the 3RS has softer sways than 2RS. And that the dampers are softer in the 3RS. So... some conflicting info.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 04-23-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:16 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I think mine is too. Overall the 2RS feels more focused and aggressive than my 3RS. The only disadvantage is it's expensive. YMMV. I wasn't going to buy one then I did. Oh my.
The GT2RS is my favorite - the power is nuts. Just so addicting...if you have the means, it should not be missed. What a car.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:21 PM
Gitana991
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
This is spot on. I think they complement each other nicely in a collection. Add a Speedster and the 991 trifecta is complete.
last year I was privileged to own the 3 991.2 GT3, 3RS and 2RS and I am now with the 2RS and a soon to arrive 3RS WP. I had written about differences between the three cars and I am in the camp of feeling the 2RS is way stiffer and with more weight in the steering. 3RS is the one I feel the most confident in and the 9K n/a engine. What can we say... hopefully the new batch of 991.2 3RS will still sound great of with PF. But the GT2 RS is even more special to me. Further compromised. But as I put miles on her, I realise that even on a B road the overtaking and breaking just before a round about with this warp speed PDK and revving engine combined with this loud heavy sound. OMG it is so much fun and still at relatively decent “overspeed”!

Truth is having both 3RS and 2RS is a dream and I feel so happy and excited about it. Having the Speedster? I’d love one. Low probability for now I get an allocation but who knows and if I had the opportunity, then I guess I would probably have to let the 3RS go financially to be honest but also because when I owned the 3 GT3s last year. Well as much as they were different and I felt super blessed to be in such unique position, I also realised that having two 9K n/a similar engines was maybe not necessary for my needs and to be able to enjoy the cars and... drive them as they should and deserve.

So the Speedster/ 2RS/ 3RS would be the amazing “trifecta” but based on Finance and my relatively limited track days a year... I would be happy to have the still great track GT2 RS beast and an open top 9K N.A. screaming Speedster! Having said that... the GT3 RS WP is quite a unique car too and currently such a good brother to King Kong 2RS!
Old 04-23-2019, 07:27 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by JCBH
The GT2RS is my favorite - the power is nuts. Just so addicting...if you have the means, it should not be missed. What a car.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

I’ve driven the GT2RS. Not much but I thought it was not that hard.
To me the .2 GT3RS is harder.

spring rates are the same, weight is a little more on the GT2RS, so that leaves the sway bars.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:45 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Haha yep

Quick Reply: GT2RS vs GT3RS