Sponsored by:

Sparco SPX Bucket Seats in 991.1 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 10:33 PM
kblask
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera9930
So after having this setup for a couple of years, any changes or issues? Have. you taken your car to the track?
Thanks
Did a couple track days with that setup, but sold the car over a year ago! Not a single complaint during the remainder of time that I owned it. Great lateral support at the track, and plenty of comfort for the street. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:09 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

FYI - I have the same set up as kblast in a 991.2 GT3. I *love* the Sparco SPX. My car came with the LWB and ok, they look cool and everything but I couldn't stand them. The fit sucked, a Hans will push your head forward and they are a PITA to get in/out of. I added 1" spacers as they fit kind of low. I put them on GMG seat base and retained my original airbag wiring and all that crap. If you get the diagnostic tool (sold on Amazon) you can reset the airbag light yourself (but obviously it only works if you still have all the wiring). I zip tied it all to either the seat base or metal on the seat rails and with the spacers it made it easier to fit the wiring in.

I put in 6 point Schroth in both driver/passenger - the GMG base allows for the sub strap as part of the fitment on the base. I should probably have taken pictures of the bottom of the seat a few weeks ago as I had to take out the passenger side. I was mucking around with the stereo amp which was underneath (aftermarket) and I also added the spacers/harness for passenger.
The following users liked this post:
rekka (01-17-2024)
Old 03-31-2023, 12:39 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by srwhitman
FYI - I have the same set up as kblast in a 991.2 GT3. I *love* the Sparco SPX. My car came with the LWB and ok, they look cool and everything but I couldn't stand them. The fit sucked, a Hans will push your head forward and they are a PITA to get in/out of. I added 1" spacers as they fit kind of low. I put them on GMG seat base and retained my original airbag wiring and all that crap. If you get the diagnostic tool (sold on Amazon) you can reset the airbag light yourself (but obviously it only works if you still have all the wiring). I zip tied it all to either the seat base or metal on the seat rails and with the spacers it made it easier to fit the wiring in.

I put in 6 point Schroth in both driver/passenger - the GMG base allows for the sub strap as part of the fitment on the base. I should probably have taken pictures of the bottom of the seat a few weeks ago as I had to take out the passenger side. I was mucking around with the stereo amp which was underneath (aftermarket) and I also added the spacers/harness for passenger.

I know this is an old thread. But did you have gmg do the slot on the seat did 5/6 pts? Any chance you have pics?
Old 03-31-2023, 04:39 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

I bought the seats and base from GMG but BRRacing in Los Gatos (I no longer live there but they do great work) did the work and they had a tailor re-do the seats so I could do 6 points. Yes, I can take pictures this weekend.
Old 09-27-2023, 04:50 AM
alanjcook
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Folks,

I just stumbled upon the latest entries in this thread. I put Sparco SPX seats in my 991.2 GT3 RS. GMG had the seats modified; they also installed the roll bar, seats and 6-point harnesses. I also worked with Porsche's thread supplier to get factory-original Lizard Green thread. Then I worked with Sparco USA to have the seats custom stitched in Italy. Long story short: the custom stitching project was a pain in the butt! The Sparco folks were super friendly and helpful, but my unusual request caused many headaches in Italy, and I'm not sure they will do a custom project like this again. Back to the seats, which were completed a year and a half ago. They look and feel great. Very comfortable!

Summary: Excellent comfort for my surgically repaired spine, excellent looks and utility, but less secure on track than factory buckets .

Best attributes: I love the adjustable back angle, ability to tilt seats forward to get behind them, excellent looks, terrific upper back support, easy to get in and out of car, good support from Sparco USA

Some negatives: Lateral thigh support compromised on track vs. stock buckets (as expected); road feel is slightly muted vs. carbon buckets; and some QA issues that required some post-installation repairs (kudos to Sparco for standing behind their product and addressing)

Here are some photos. Hope this is helpful for anyone considering this alternative.

All best,
Alan

PS: I'll be at Rennsport Reunion 7. If you want to see the seats in person that weekend message me here.

SPX Seats with 6-point harnesses

Lower cushions are modified to accommodate sub-straps

Custom stitching looks factory stock

Looking good Billy Ray. Feeling good Lewis.

Last edited by alanjcook; 09-27-2023 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:04 AM
codywms
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Those seats look awesome with lizard green!

Are you comfortable sharing the cost to do them custom through Sparco? If I go down this road, I'd also want them matched and had anticipated having a local shop recover them, even through they'd be new.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:22 AM
Thrownaway
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

no dash board lights/airbag?
Old 09-27-2023, 11:41 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by codywms
Those seats look awesome with lizard green!

Are you comfortable sharing the cost to do them custom through Sparco? If I go down this road, I'd also want them matched and had anticipated having a local shop recover them, even through they'd be new.
Thanks! Sparco did not charge me an extra fee. I paid MSRP through a reseller. There were several earlier rounds, but in the end I procured the thread, sent it to the Sparco USA office in Orange County, CA and they in turn sent it to the factory. Then they coordinated the timing with production in Italy.

Originally Posted by Thrownaway
no dash board lights/airbag?
The dash light is still on. I considered the Pacific German light defeat, and my quote was similar to what someone shared above, but a) Porsche assured me the system remains operational for driver and b) the logistics of where I was living at the time made it hard to coordinate moving the seats around. So I skipped the light defeat.

The light doesn’t bother me on the road, and I bought a $10 set of buckle dummy inserts to defeat the seatbelt chimes when I use the harnesses on the track.

Last edited by alanjcook; 09-27-2023 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Sparco SPX Bucket Seats in 991.1 GT3