Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT, how to pass sound at Zolder Zandvoort??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 02:05 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts
Default 991.2 GT, how to pass sound at Zolder Zandvoort??

Hi Euro guys,

We did Assen today and weren’t able to pass 98dB limit.
Zandvoort is 92 and Zolder is 95dB.

We have seen some gigantic cans hanging off GT3’s.
What do you use? Is it even possible at all?
Or do we need to cancel??

Help!
Old 04-02-2019, 03:50 PM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the noise levels you failed on and circuit limits answers your problem.

Porsche Club UK members go to both circuits but are in GT4s and know where to take it easy to avoid tripping the meters.

Following from your favourite browser:

Zolder measure noise at 2 points along the track. One is just after turn 4 (Bianchi) and the second one is between turn 7 and 8. You can recognise them by the blue poles.

Noise at Circuit Park Zandvoort is measured at a point located immediately next to the track (where the cars turn onto the straight).
Old 04-02-2019, 04:29 PM
A/S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 131 Posts

Stop by a hardware store, buy 1 lb (or 0.5 Kg) of steel wool on the most dense form, and a grill material (stainless steel).

Cut the grill material on a round circle that matches the SoulPP turndowns where they connect to resonated pipes. Stuff half the material in one resonated pipe, and the other half in the other, place grill, attach turndowns, hand tight v-clamp, then 11mm wrench to tighten the v-clamp. Done.

This will reduce dB by 5dB. More material reduces more, but on my testing last week, I lost 0.2 secs from 60-100mph stuffing 1 lb per engine bank. At 0.5 lbs per bank, there was no noticeable acceleration difference compared no turndowns at all (but with the resonated pipes). I already tested resonatyed pipes vs. stock tips and no difference in VBox acceleration.

Do not wire the valves closed, it will pass sound easily, but the amount of back-pressure is massive and you could cook the engine. Shutting the valves closed forces the exhaust to flow through a tiny 1.5" exhaust pipe (or 1.75") it is not designed to discharge a 4.0L at full gas and 9k rpm.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:37 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

I have been to Zolder in my Touring with std exhaust and experienced no problem. on the same day there were another 3 GT3s. All ran without a problem.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Don't you have some friends on that Left Lane Prius Facebook page that could loan you a car? ;-)
Old 04-02-2019, 07:30 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Sound limits on European tracks? WTF!
Old 04-02-2019, 09:19 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Bumping this to the top, tired of seeing the value threads
Old 04-03-2019, 07:22 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphmusic
I think the noise levels you failed on and circuit limits answers your problem.

Porsche Club UK members go to both circuits but are in GT4s and know where to take it easy to avoid tripping the meters.

Following from your favourite browser:

Zolder measure noise at 2 points along the track. One is just after turn 4 (Bianchi) and the second one is between turn 7 and 8. You can recognise them by the blue poles.

Noise at Circuit Park Zandvoort is measured at a point located immediately next to the track (where the cars turn onto the straight).
Thank you for the pointers!

Originally Posted by A/S
Stop by a hardware store, buy 1 lb (or 0.5 Kg) of steel wool on the most dense form, and a grill material (stainless steel).

Cut the grill material on a round circle that matches the SoulPP turndowns where they connect to resonated pipes. Stuff half the material in one resonated pipe, and the other half in the other, place grill, attach turndowns, hand tight v-clamp, then 11mm wrench to tighten the v-clamp. Done.

This will reduce dB by 5dB. More material reduces more, but on my testing last week, I lost 0.2 secs from 60-100mph stuffing 1 lb per engine bank. At 0.5 lbs per bank, there was no noticeable acceleration difference compared no turndowns at all (but with the resonated pipes). I already tested resonatyed pipes vs. stock tips and no difference in VBox acceleration.

Do not wire the valves closed, it will pass sound easily, but the amount of back-pressure is massive and you could cook the engine. Shutting the valves closed forces the exhaust to flow through a tiny 1.5" exhaust pipe (or 1.75") it is not designed to discharge a 4.0L at full gas and 9k rpm.
Good idea, thanks. I think we have it sorted with two giant motorcycle mufflers from the local shop like these that they want me to test:

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I have been to Zolder in my Touring with std exhaust and experienced no problem. on the same day there were another 3 GT3s. All ran without a problem.
Thank you, will proceed with Zolder andZandvoort as planned :-)

Originally Posted by mdrums
Don't you have some friends on that Left Lane Prius Facebook page that could loan you a car? ;-)
LOL

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Sound limits on European tracks? WTF!
Its bat**** crazy

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Bumping this to the top, tired of seeing the value threads
Old 04-03-2019, 12:09 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

BUT.......at least you run safer with windows up...so air bags can properly do there thing and your arms can flail and dangle out the window.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:04 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
@CHRIS: That petrolhead day coincided with an international test day Chris, and those are without db limits, that's why we didn't have any problems :-)

@TRAKCAR: I'd say cancel at Zolder because it is no fun to take it easy at the measuring points. But if you can reschedule to a petrolhead day at Zolder, those are always without db limit ! (www.petrolheaddays.com)

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT, how to pass sound at Zolder Zandvoort??