Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Request Driving Impressions - Scuderia/CS vs. Newer GT3s

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 10:49 PM
stradmlg
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F1 is not as evolved as it is in Scud, but it is still good enough for a professional non-driver, as I think most of us are. The question to ask is: do you really need it to change as fast as your tabs when it is already changing faster than a manual? At high revs it is still a very good gearbox. The many virtues of CS compared to Scud and Speciale are many compared to the gearbox. The last pure Ferrari.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:58 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

It is a masochistic, goose-bump-on-wheels, intoxicating, complete PITA experience.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:42 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm gonna have to add a Challenge Stradale at some point. I'm so drawn to cars with a more raw, analog experience. And as a bonus, its beautiful and sounds fantastic!

Old 07-29-2020, 01:19 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by David Godinho
Scuderia is the bargain of the supercar market. Amazing car. When I added the 458 Speciale I was wondering if going back to drive the Scud it would feel boring or too old. It was the opposite, what it offers no modern car can offer. Then I added the .2 3 RS WP and drove it for almost 1000 miles without driving the Scud. The day I got back in the Scud was just magic. Scuderias are truly special, raw, you vibrate with the whole car. I love the 458 Speciale and the RS, I really do, but the Scuderia will stay in the garage as it gives me thrills the others can’t deliver, although they are far better cars. Plus it’s a 1 of 1 ever built in Grigio Ingrid.

That looks so good, it makes me want to buy a scud and repaint it (I love grigio ingrid)
Old 07-29-2020, 01:24 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I haven’t owned a lot of Ferrari’s, but out of the CS, Scud and Speciale I owned, my fav is the Scud (money aside). If I went back to a ferrari, it would be a scud. Similar to 997rs, I feel like it is the last ferrari built before they got TOO modern/perfect for my personal tastes. I know CS is even MORE raw/visceral/loud. Maybe if the tranny in a CS wasn’t SO rough at cruising speeds, it would edge out a Scud for me; hard to say for sure. But the tranny in Scud is one of the items that makes it so fun. It is one of the many items that manages to thread the needle between fun and functional. Scud is the “Goldilocks” track-focused NA v8 ferrari in my book. I know Speciale is a modern classic “legend” car to almost any car guy. And that was my assumption when I bought it. After owning it, meh, I’d rather own a Scud. Speciale just did nothing for me. If it had to be a 458, I’d pick a 458 spider over the Speciale. I’ll put on my double-layer flame suit after those two statements.

Back OT, I’ve also owned the newer GT’s and had some overlapping time of ownership in all of them. I just don’t think they are good comparison cars. Speciale is the better comparison car IMO. CS and Scud are from completely different design eras. Anyone wanting something that feels like a 991 is going to be disappointed with a CS/Scud and vice versa. But I think both can be appreciated on their own merits; just not as a cross-shopping “similar” experience. Again, Speciale is the much closer comparison imo (drive experience; not money).
I may not have the same frame of reference as I've only owned a handful of nice cars, but the Speciale is bar none the best car I have ever driven let alone owned, as far as my taste and driving needs goes. I will never sell her, my portfolio would go first
Old 07-29-2020, 09:07 AM
stradmlg
7th Gear

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I may not have the same frame of reference as I've only owned a handful of nice cars, but the Speciale is bar none the best car I have ever driven let alone owned, as far as my taste and driving needs goes. I will never sell her, my portfolio would go first
No doubt the Speciale is a better and more modern car, but it is not as raw, sounded and “special” as the Challenge Stradale is, IMHO.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:25 PM
Manda Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Nice kudos for the Scud

Last edited by Manda Racing; 08-03-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:44 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by Manda Racing
saw this a few months back, and it was a really good one. He nails it on the HP wars when does it stop, and lots of it not usable even for him. Thanks for sharing
The following users liked this post:
Manda Racing (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 08:04 PM
stradmlg
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Maverick787
saw this a few months back, and it was a really good one. He nails it on the HP wars when does it stop, and lots of it not usable even for him. Thanks for sharing
I have owned Scud and Challenge Stradale. In beauty, radicalism, Gokart driving and sound the Challenge Stradale is the clear winner. With the various Ferrari owners that I have come across along the way, the Ferrari Challenge Stradale is and will be an icon, a different and more special experience than the most modern Scud and Speciale. A new era, the digital one, less pure.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:09 PM
stradmlg
7th Gear

Old 08-03-2020, 08:14 PM
stradmlg
7th Gear

Old 08-03-2020, 11:40 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Different strokes; different folks. It didn't have that effect on me. But it does a lot of people. So you have plenty of company.
sampelligrino (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 12:28 AM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 723 Likes on 394 Posts

SO a few years ago (2017) I saved up about 200k to just go buy a 458 or 11/12 3rs cash (that was the plan). I drive car after car and kept thinking (as crazy as this sounds) too close to my M4, very nice, comfy and fast. But nothing really DIFFERENT. I wanted a new experience, not the sports car that thinks its a racecar feel like the gt3's (sorry, had 997.1, it;s GREAT sports car....but not racecar), it is a SPORTS CAR!!!! Well after 6 458's 11/12 gt3's, a stradale I drove ONE scud....and WOW. It wasn't even close. I bought the scuderia immediately, the soul, transmission, engine, interior, everything was just pure racecar. it has a metal floorpan for a floor hahaha and the sound is literally laughably loud and AMAZING!

Most 911 feels very similar, very tight, vault like, awesome sports cars. Props to Porsche for getting more and more aggressive rather than soft like ferrari the last decade. My 991.2 GT3RS is the most racecar Porsche I have ever driven and it is a better overall sports car than the scud and to 99% of people they would like the gt3rs more hands down.

But, to any enthusiasts, if you race cars at HPDE and love the real racecar obnoxious and overwhelming feel, you'll love the scud more than anything. It's impossible to describe, you just feel the racecar soul in every noise and input. It drains your adrenal glands in 10-15 mins of driving. Nothing about it is calm, NOT a sunday cruiser.

I know people LOVE talking about value on this forum so I'll entertain it. I paid about the same price for my 2019 gt3rs as my scud. In 30 years the scud is 10x the price or more of the Gt3rs no doubt lol. But, the maintenance will be a lot more on the Ferrari for a consolation prize...
The following 2 users liked this post by welikethetrack:
David Godinho (08-04-2020), Manda Racing (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 01:41 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

The scud hit a nerve with me also (in a good way). If I ever went back to a ferrari again, I think it would be the one. Until I read someone recount the CS........then I have similar thoughts about it. You guys keep taunting me to add one or the other back to my lineup! And I just went through a SERIOUS culling! Stop it! MUST RESIST!!!!
David Godinho (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 01:45 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I have never owned anything that sounded better than the Scud....
The following 2 users liked this post by shapiroeric:
David Godinho (08-04-2020), welikethetrack (08-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Request Driving Impressions - Scuderia/CS vs. Newer GT3s