991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Request Driving Impressions - Scuderia/CS vs. Newer GT3s

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020 | 05:02 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Would also add my Scud has been problem free. Did by a ferrari certified car with warranty for piece of mind but 430s in general are pretty solid when cared for and driven properly. Scuds actually have less to worry about than regular 430. Beefier gearbox, different exhaust so no cracked manifolds etc.

All that said... Nothing beats porsche if problem free driving is top priority.
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (07-22-2020)
Old 05-16-2020 | 05:10 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Another consideration is a manual F430... very engaging and exciting and more useable than a Scud all around..

Old 05-16-2020 | 05:43 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Because flat plane crank
Originally Posted by BusDriver
A perspective on the Ferrari Stradale / Scuderia compared to the Porsche GT3...

The Ferraris are much more softly sprung and have greater suspension travel resulting in a much better ride on the road but way too soft on the track. The Ferraris also have much less tire resulting in lower ultimate grip, but more fun. Steering is a lot lighter and has less feel and the newer ones (Scud but not Stradale) have quicker geared steering than a GT3. The GT3 sounds fantastic, but the Ferraris sound completely insane particularly after the valves are disconnected.

Seating position is much more forward and your feet are pretty close to the front wheel centerline. Steering feels like a go kart as you feel your feet pivoting first when you turn the wheel.

The Stradale gearshift will feel very slow and ancient. The Scuderia gearshift will feel crude and aggressive - a full throttle gear change feels exactly like getting rear-ended!

In summary:
- the GT3 is a better track car, the Ferrari a better road car
- the GT3 is a better dual purpose car, while the Ferrari is best reserved for special occasions

Overall, the Porsche GT3 is a better car
But the Ferraris are much more exciting

Both great in their own ways.
catdog2 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020 | 08:13 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Quoted analysis above is pretty spot on
Old 05-16-2020 | 08:28 PM
993RSCS
Advanced

Default Scud vs GT3

I’ve owned a 2009 Scud since 2014 and it would be hard to imagine selling as it is such an event car, with great sounds, violent shifts, go cart handling.

My 2018 GT3 manual is a more competent car, more torque, revs higher, wider tires/better grip. has JCR silenced race pipe so sounds great but not as good as the Ferrari. They are very different and enjoyable to own. Would consider the 992 GT3 when it comes out if it is a significant improvement but not sure what I could replace the Scud for as it is unique. Scud definitely feels fragile and not a destination car as too worried about leaving it somewhere, compared to the GT3 which to the most looks like just another Porsche.
Perimeter (07-22-2020)
Old 05-16-2020 | 08:38 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

i had 9 strads and 3 scuds, and 3 2015-2018 GT3s with wings and PDK and currently have a Touring.
Strads were the TITZ but you'll be soft pedaling after an hour, they're so loud. I never turn stereos on so can't rate that. I loved those cars
Scuds have more umpphf and louder still, and the comment earlier a sense of fragility altho' I never broke one.
GT3s are great, but heavy feeling comparatively.

The Touring is a super package -- correct gear set, quick, quiet and seems more reliable/bulletproof, but we shall see

If you get a strad try to get Euro spec

Last edited by Sun Ra; 05-17-2020 at 01:15 PM.
catdog2 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-17-2020 | 11:06 AM
David Godinho
Intermediate

Scuderia is the bargain of the supercar market. Amazing car. When I added the 458 Speciale I was wondering if going back to drive the Scud it would feel boring or too old. It was the opposite, what it offers no modern car can offer. Then I added the .2 3 RS WP and drove it for almost 1000 miles without driving the Scud. The day I got back in the Scud was just magic. Scuderias are truly special, raw, you vibrate with the whole car. I love the 458 Speciale and the RS, I really do, but the Scuderia will stay in the garage as it gives me thrills the others can’t deliver, although they are far better cars. Plus it’s a 1 of 1 ever built in Grigio Ingrid.

The following 5 users liked this post by David Godinho:
cadster (05-19-2020), catdog2 (05-17-2020), Manda Racing (08-03-2020), Perimeter (07-22-2020), sampelligrino (07-25-2020)
Old 05-17-2020 | 01:14 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Scuds are the TITZ! Nothing like the screaming rip song when you're hammering up a steep mountain road!!!!

I love Grigio Ingrid!!!! Can the stripes be removed, or painted?? My fav. Scud was Silverstone w/ the red/black alcantera, also has Argento and Nero.
Old 05-17-2020 | 01:39 PM
David Godinho
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sun Ra
Scuds are the TITZ! Nothing like the screaming rip song when you're hammering up a steep mountain road!!!!

I love Grigio Ingrid!!!! Can the stripes be removed, or painted?? My fav. Scud was Silverstone w/ the red/black alcantera, also has Argento and Nero.
Mine is Nuovo Grigio Ingrid. Pictures don’t do it justice. Stripes are factory painted, can’t be removed unless repainted. It has black tech fabric and alcantara with silver stitching.
Old 05-17-2020 | 01:41 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I haven’t owned a lot of Ferrari’s, but out of the CS, Scud and Speciale I owned, my fav is the Scud (money aside). If I went back to a ferrari, it would be a scud. Similar to 997rs, I feel like it is the last ferrari built before they got TOO modern/perfect for my personal tastes. I know CS is even MORE raw/visceral/loud. Maybe if the tranny in a CS wasn’t SO rough at cruising speeds, it would edge out a Scud for me; hard to say for sure. But the tranny in Scud is one of the items that makes it so fun. It is one of the many items that manages to thread the needle between fun and functional. Scud is the “Goldilocks” track-focused NA v8 ferrari in my book. I know Speciale is a modern classic “legend” car to almost any car guy. And that was my assumption when I bought it. After owning it, meh, I’d rather own a Scud. Speciale just did nothing for me. If it had to be a 458, I’d pick a 458 spider over the Speciale. I’ll put on my double-layer flame suit after those two statements.

Back OT, I’ve also owned the newer GT’s and had some overlapping time of ownership in all of them. I just don’t think they are good comparison cars. Speciale is the better comparison car IMO. CS and Scud are from completely different design eras. Anyone wanting something that feels like a 991 is going to be disappointed with a CS/Scud and vice versa. But I think both can be appreciated on their own merits; just not as a cross-shopping “similar” experience. Again, Speciale is the much closer comparison imo (drive experience; not money).
Old 05-17-2020 | 01:47 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

^^Cars like a Scud, CS, 997rs and even a CGT feel like very imperfect cars but top-of-class for unique drive experiences and balance between fun/performance. Beginning with 991gt/rs and Speciale, my opinion is that those cars start to feel like they were built with performance and function ahead of the “imperfect but fun” balancing act. They start to become almost as functional as a Carrara or “Base F-mid-engine” but with tuned up performance. When you are in a CS or CGT, you ask yourself “they actually built these cars for anyone off the street to just walk in, order one and drive right off the lot.....no questions asked????!!!! WTF were they thinking! Brilliant!”. Scud is kinda in between those zero compromise cars like a CS or CGT. And, imo, so is a 997rs. The 997rs and Scud bridge the gap to the accessible-performance/functional machines that came after them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jrtaylor9:
catdog2 (05-17-2020), David Godinho (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020 | 04:26 PM
SSO
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
^^Cars like a Scud, CS, 997rs and even a CGT feel like very imperfect cars but top-of-class for unique drive experiences and balance between fun/performance. Beginning with 991gt/rs and Speciale, my opinion is that those cars start to feel like they were built with performance and function ahead of the “imperfect but fun” balancing act. They start to become almost as functional as a Carrara or “Base F-mid-engine” but with tuned up performance. When you are in a CS or CGT, you ask yourself “they actually built these cars for anyone off the street to just walk in, order one and drive right off the lot.....no questions asked????!!!! WTF were they thinking! Brilliant!”. Scud is kinda in between those zero compromise cars like a CS or CGT. And, imo, so is a 997rs. The 997rs and Scud bridge the gap to the accessible-performance/functional machines that came after them.
Completely agree and really like the way you have laid this out.
Old 07-22-2020 | 03:50 PM
Manda Racing
Rennlist Member

Any wins a win.

Old 07-22-2020 | 03:57 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Ingrid looks far different out of those lights - until I read your final statement I was guessing Argent Nurburgring!
Cuoio interior too?
Quite fine looking sir!
Originally Posted by David Godinho
Scuderia is the bargain of the supercar market. Amazing car. When I added the 458 Speciale I was wondering if going back to drive the Scud it would feel boring or too old. It was the opposite, what it offers no modern car can offer. Then I added the .2 3 RS WP and drove it for almost 1000 miles without driving the Scud. The day I got back in the Scud was just magic. Scuderias are truly special, raw, you vibrate with the whole car. I love the 458 Speciale and the RS, I really do, but the Scuderia will stay in the garage as it gives me thrills the others can’t deliver, although they are far better cars. Plus it’s a 1 of 1 ever built in Grigio Ingrid.

Old 07-22-2020 | 04:32 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Funny seeing my old thread updated.....I ended up finding a 2005 Ford GT for Scuderia/991.2 GT3 money in February, having a ball with it. If I ever get to this decision point again, I would consider both a Scuderia & GT3.

911Vintage (07-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Request Driving Impressions - Scuderia/CS vs. Newer GT3s