Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racelogic VBOX; Anyone know Canbus cable 2019 GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 09:28 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The induction harness works. It seems to be polarity specific. First time I tried it mine did not work. I reversed the wires laying in the induction clip and it started working.

- Chris
Old 05-10-2019, 09:55 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
The induction harness works. It seems to be polarity specific. First time I tried it mine did not work. I reversed the wires laying in the induction clip and it started working.

- Chris
Great!
Old 06-27-2019, 03:53 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

anyone have pictures or instructions as to how they got the no-splice version working in a 991.2 GT3?

I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:36 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
anyone have pictures or instructions as to how they got the no-splice version working in a 991.2 GT3?

I'd appreciate it.
Here is Racelogic responding to my question. He later confirmed the wire colors:

Hi Walter,

Connecting to the CAN Bus on any modern vehicle is fairly challenging these days.

You will need to connect directly to the CAN high and CAN low wires located in the main wiring loom. One of my colleagues managed to find these on a GT2RS located in the driver's footwell, above the footrest plate/trim. You will have to unwrap fabric tape to gain access. We are pretty sure these wires should match the GT3RS, but I am waiting for confirmation from our US office.

You are looking for a twisted pair - orange/purple and orange/brown. CAN high is Orange/Purple and CAN Low is Orange/Brown.

I hope this helps!

Jon Holman
Motorsport Product Manager

Tel: +44 1280 823 803
Email: jon@racelogic.co.uk

Old 08-03-2019, 10:34 PM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Folks,

Just tried installing the clip-on cable in my 991.2 GT3 RS, but without luck. I tried between the door and fuse-box, as well as the connector going into the Continental gateway, next to the ODBII port. I tried reversing in both scenarios without any luck. Used orange / purple for CAN high, orange/brown for CAN low. See attached pics for locations I tried. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could post pics on where they attached the clip-on if they got it working in any of the 991.2 GT cars (3, 3RS, 2RS).

Btw, I assume you should see it working in the preview mode if all is fine? Also tried dumping the device logs from the VBOX to see if there are any hints, but unfortunately racelogic keeps the logs encrypted.

Connected to Gateway connector (disconnected in the pic)

Connected between fuse-box and door

Last edited by urban2k; 08-03-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:46 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,031 Likes on 653 Posts

Surely theres got to be an OBD WIFI connector these days?
Old 08-04-2019, 12:23 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
Surely theres got to be an OBD WIFI connector these days?
not that will interface with the race logic/aim system.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:38 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,031 Likes on 653 Posts

not that will interface with the race logic/aim system.
Thats a shame really - the Porsche TPA is nearly there but not quite e.g. 10Hz data, video overlays that work seamlessly and instant read back e.g. go to pit lane compare runs graphically - reset go again. The only problem I've had is exporting to Circuit Tools - I can get the data across but not the video (although the later may have something to do with the CT CIR file being incorrect/outdated).

What I find strange is the output to USB through sports chrono is at 1Hz - go figure - Although the Porsche explantion would be from a statistical perspective e.g. if you do a 25 lap session at 2 minutes per lap you'll have 3000 data points which is statistically significant certainly for mechanicals e.g. temps, gears, steering angle, throttle, brake pressure etc. Likewise lat g, lin g and yaw rate. However, its insufficient if you're looking for a 1/10th here or there where lap by lap overlays at 10Hz min are required. Very easy to spot turn in and braking changes in subtle detail at this level of data.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:47 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by urban2k
Hi Folks,

Just tried installing the clip-on cable in my 991.2 GT3 RS, but without luck. I tried between the door and fuse-box, as well as the connector going into the Continental gateway, next to the ODBII port. I tried reversing in both scenarios without any luck. Used orange / purple for CAN high, orange/brown for CAN low. See attached pics for locations I tried. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could post pics on where they attached the clip-on if they got it working in any of the 991.2 GT cars (3, 3RS, 2RS).

Btw, I assume you should see it working in the preview mode if all is fine? Also tried dumping the device logs from the VBOX to see if there are any hints, but unfortunately racelogic keeps the logs encrypted.

Connected to Gateway connector (disconnected in the pic)

Connected between fuse-box and door
Maybe this makes no sense, but I remember my installer saying something about flipping it around, something like that they were the right wires, just needed to be installed opposite direction?
Old 08-04-2019, 11:43 AM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Maybe this makes no sense, but I remember my installer saying something about flipping it around, something like that they were the right wires, just needed to be installed opposite direction?
Yeah, that was mentioned earlier in the thread as well. I tried to interpret what that means, so I flipped the clip-on around and see if that made a difference. Nothing. ProCoach suggested flipping the wires between CAN High and CAN Low, but no luck there either. Perhaps it's the clip-on module itself. It seems rather flimsy for a $300 cable.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:51 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

i can not get the clip on to work in my 991.2 gt3 - and racelogic says it’s a know issue that it does not work - i have been successful with actual splices.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:40 PM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

i can not get the clip on to work in my 991.2 gt3 - and racelogic says it’s a know issue that it does not work - i have been successful with actual splices.
Unfortunately, there are too many mixed messages out there. Reading this thread before buying the VBOX I started doing my research and reached out to both Racelogic and my local installer (BRRacing). Regarding the clip-on, Racelogic said it should work (their data point was a GT2RS), just harder than the splice because the can wires are tightly twisted. BRRacing recommended holding off on the splice method as they found issues, instead wait for Racelogic as they are developing a Gateway connector add-on that would make tapping into this a breeze. But ... of course, we all know TrakCar has the clip-on working with his car.

Anyway, I'll play around some more today and if I figure it out, I promise I'll update this thread with clear instructions for the next person that is going through this (Matt, are you reading this? ;-) ).
Old 08-04-2019, 02:45 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I waiting for the harness connector Racelogic is working on. BR Racing _IS_ my local installer as well - and I am the "issues" they have noticed

Issue: Every morning starting about 2 months ago my 911 now places a "Airbags Deployed" emergency call to Porsche Command Control -

THIS HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN TO BE RELATED TO RACELOGIC SPLICE INTO THE CAN BUS
READ THE LINE ABOVE AGAIN - THERE IS NO CORRELATION

the facts of the situation are as follows

1. I could never get the clip-on to work - after many many alternatives were tried
2. A "hard splice" does work fine and produced can-bus data - I have video from COTA where it was working
3. The can bus was working fine with no emergency calls for at least 4 months
4. nothing changed and the car started placing emergency calls when started in the morning - it "just" started happening
5. we have since disconnected the splice and the car still places emergency calls when started in the mornings
6. local porsche dealer has not been able to diagnose the root cause
7. the calls are placed only upon first startup in the morning - there will be 1 to 3 calls placed
8. Later in the day no calls are placed even after the car has been off/on several times
9. next day emergency call will be placed
10. I plan to drop the car off with dealer after track season for a more extensive diagnostic
11. You can request Porsche command/control "ignore" your airbag deployment warnings - I have done so.
12. It does not seem to be related to battery voltage state, as I have the car on a battery tender.

the mystery continues.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:24 PM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

I waiting for the harness connector Racelogic is working on. BR Racing _IS_ my local installer as well - and I am the "issues" they have noticed

Issue: Every morning starting about 2 months ago my 911 now places a "Airbags Deployed" emergency call to Porsche Command Control -

THIS HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN TO BE RELATED TO RACELOGIC SPLICE INTO THE CAN BUS
READ THE LINE ABOVE AGAIN - THERE IS NO CORRELATION

the facts of the situation are as follows

1. I could never get the clip-on to work - after many many alternatives were tried
2. A "hard splice" does work fine and produced can-bus data - I have video from COTA where it was working
3. The can bus was working fine with no emergency calls for at least 4 months
4. nothing changed and the car started placing emergency calls when started in the morning - it "just" started happening
5. we have since disconnected the splice and the car still places emergency calls when started in the mornings
6. local porsche dealer has not been able to diagnose the root cause
7. the calls are placed only upon first startup in the morning - there will be 1 to 3 calls placed
8. Later in the day no calls are placed even after the car has been off/on several times
9. next day emergency call will be placed
10. I plan to drop the car off with dealer after track season for a more extensive diagnostic
11. You can request Porsche command/control "ignore" your airbag deployment warnings - I have done so.
12. It does not seem to be related to battery voltage state, as I have the car on a battery tender.

the mystery continues.
Thanks for sharing - good to get the context. Happy to hear you don't think it's related. The tap should be read-only so surprised whether/how it could throw codes. Either way, the problems you're describing sound very painful. I hope you get it worked out soon! Do you think your warranty surrounding this issue is going to be affected by the splice?

Can you share where you did the tap? The wires leading into the gateway connector, or near the fuse-box?
Old 08-10-2019, 08:34 PM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

Quick update: After trying numerous things to get the clip-on working, including getting support from both ProCoach and Racelogic I decided to try the unterminated CAN interface cable instead. And with success! All is working now!
ProCoach prepped it with posi-taps, so installation could not be any easier. It took me 5 minutes to install the cable and validate everything was working. I tied it to the CAN-bus wires between the door and the fuse-box and routed the interface cable towards the glovebox. I'm planning to keep the VBOX in the luggage net in the passenger footwell keeping it secure using Velcro.

Long story short; if you're planning a VBOX install, do yourself a favor and purchase the regular CAN cable and install using posi-taps. High chance the clip-on won't work (even though Racelogic says it should just work ) and is actually significantly harder to install as you'll have to untwist the cable.

Quick Reply: Racelogic VBOX; Anyone know Canbus cable 2019 GT3RS?