Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racelogic VBOX; Anyone know Canbus cable 2019 GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019 | 07:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thank you, urban 2k!

Glad we were able to get this all straightened out. Not quite sure why the inductive pickup did not work, but we'll find out why soon enough.

Like dave04porsche, I recommend always the RLCAB015L-E and prepare it to be plug and play with fused power, ground lug and CAN posi-taps, along with a three-page picture guide and unmatched support for every system we sell.

aalencar bought his system and cable from us.

My company is and has been the largest end-user Racelogic Video VBOX dealer since early 2011. With the introduction of the HD2 1920x1080 PiP system, quite a few 981 and 991.1/991.2 owners have purchased this system over the last few years. Almost two hundred, so far.

It's disappointing that a few installers and shops still tend to blame AiM/VBOX and other datalogging technology for MIL's, information that "doesn't come through" and other issues.

These systems only "listen," and they DO require proper configuration and setup for the specific car they're going in.

The HD2 is a fantastic, easy to use system that is, in my opinion, the BEST for self-coaching. Finding time, without adding risk. Let me know if I can help more.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-13-2019 | 08:10 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

^^^

I did purchase the VBox HD2 (as well as ApexPro) from Peter and he has always been great. He was available to sort out over the phone some questions from the shop that made the installation. He sent me the system not only with the prepared cable but also very easy to follow instructions.

After installation we had a lot of back and forth as the system was not getting any info. As I mentioned we first connected the cable to the CAN wires in the footwell (after the fuse box). Finally we got all the proper reading once I repositioned the cable with the same CAN wire pair located between the fuse box and door. Peter was always available and very helpful.

The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019 | 08:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by aalencar
^^^

I did purchase the VBox HD2 (as well as ApexPro) from Peter and he has always been great. He was available to sort out over the phone some questions from the shop that made the installation. He sent me the system not only with the prepared cable but also very easy to follow instructions.

After installation we had a lot of back and forth as the system was not getting any info. As I mentioned we first connected the cable to the CAN wires in the footwell (after the fuse box). Finally we got all the proper reading once I repositioned the cable with the same CAN wire pair located between the fuse box and door. Peter was always available and very helpful.
Thank you! Love your videos.
Old 10-25-2019 | 08:38 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

guys, trying to install my Solo DL to the canbus on a 991.2 GT3RS. Supposedly, I can tap into the gateway connector above the fusebox, near the OBD connector, but how do you guys get to it? There's an knee airbag panel there.

Is there a canbus connection on the passenger side fuse box? I hate to pull the fusebox panel. I've broken a few circular tabs on the GT4 because of the difficulty.

thanks
Old 01-09-2020 | 01:09 AM
EF EO
1st Gear

Default I want that for My 991.2Gt3rs; could you advice me?

👍🏻👍🏻 It is great! could u give me more information on all needed parts? doest work with porsche app?
in mexico car wifi does not connect 😩
thank you very much

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
OBD will NOT work with Porsche for race logic - you have to physically splice into the CanBUS - I have that setup working on my 991.2 as seen here in this video

https://vimeo.com/327735422

in the video, RPM, Steering Angle, gear (only works in automatic mode not manual I'm working to fix that) and brake and throttle are all coming from CAN BUS in a 991.2 into my Racelogic VideoHD2 unit - all other data (speed and lap times and such, g-force, are coming from the Racelogic's internal data sources.

you need this cable

https://www.vboxmotorsport.com/store...product_id=101

BR Racing did the actual splicing for me - they might be able to help you - 408-356-1515
Old 01-21-2020 | 03:26 AM
Leong72
Instructor

For the last 6 months I’ve been running my VBOX HD2 in my 991.2 GT3 RHD without CAN data as I couldn’t get it to work like others in this thread. However, after a Trackday last week I noticed data was coming thru intermittently on my video. I’d left my clip-on CAN connector as per the instructions on this thread and a scene that I was testing last time. Turns out there was a broken connection on the connector on the yellow wire as can be seen on post 9 in this thread.

Since fixing that I now have the engine speed, throttle position and brake working with the clip on CAN. What’s the likelihood that others may have had the same problem?

Still would like to get the gear position indicator working...
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (01-21-2020)
Old 04-26-2020 | 05:33 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9972RS
guys, trying to install my Solo DL to the canbus on a 991.2 GT3RS. Supposedly, I can tap into the gateway connector above the fusebox, near the OBD connector, but how do you guys get to it? There's an knee airbag panel there.

Is there a canbus connection on the passenger side fuse box? I hate to pull the fusebox panel. I've broken a few circular tabs on the GT4 because of the difficulty.

thanks
Any answers to above? I've got 991.2 GT3 same problem.
Old 04-26-2020 | 05:52 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

^ driver's side fusebox panel is easiest. Just be careful when removing the kick panel.
Old 04-26-2020 | 10:55 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

I checked the fuse box - its above that and I was able to find where the wire is but there is really hardly any room. I'm ordering a posi-tap as I want to get this right the first time and then I'll attempt to squeeze my head in there and work upside down. Its funny, I've now had to do this on 3 cars: Audi RS4 (replace the clutch switch for cruise control), Lotus Exige for various things, and now the GT3. I'm not getting any younger and there is so little room down there. I'll see if I can get it to work!
Old 09-06-2020 | 06:11 PM
andymlow
Advanced

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Thank you, urban 2k!

Glad we were able to get this all straightened out. Not quite sure why the inductive pickup did not work, but we'll find out why soon enough.

Like dave04porsche, I recommend always the RLCAB015L-E and prepare it to be plug and play with fused power, ground lug and CAN posi-taps, along with a three-page picture guide and unmatched support for every system we sell.

aalencar bought his system and cable from us.

My company is and has been the largest end-user Racelogic Video VBOX dealer since early 2011. With the introduction of the HD2 1920x1080 PiP system, quite a few 981 and 991.1/991.2 owners have purchased this system over the last few years. Almost two hundred, so far.

It's disappointing that a few installers and shops still tend to blame AiM/VBOX and other datalogging technology for MIL's, information that "doesn't come through" and other issues.

These systems only "listen," and they DO require proper configuration and setup for the specific car they're going in.

The HD2 is a fantastic, easy to use system that is, in my opinion, the BEST for self-coaching. Finding time, without adding risk. Let me know if I can help more.
ProCoach, are you implying that you don't need to use the other power cable or input on the Vbox if you wire power into the can bus cable? Thx

Quick Reply: Racelogic VBOX; Anyone know Canbus cable 2019 GT3RS?