Sponsored by:

GT2RS Production Lap Record at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 01:35 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
So, add 180hp and get a 1.36 secs faster lap, on a track that has a massive back straight and a decent front straight.

It would be so nice if they showed the video in the .2 GT3RS, because I bet it has higher minimum speeds on most if not all turns.

Both cars are impressive, but I think the handling in the new .2 GT3 RS is at the top of any other Porsche 911 street car, the GT2 RS loses to it on handling but compensates with the extra power.

Is there any actual weight data from the 991.2 GT2 RS on calibrated scales? I'm trying to find why there is a significant handling difference and it could be related to weight and weight/distribution, and not just the downforce difference between the GT2 RS and GT3 RS.
The weight difference is not that big. It's the fact that the GT2RS arrives at the corners faster and requires it's pilot to be an adept braker. You also have to show the 2RS throttle more respect compared to the 3RS. The cars require the driver to use different driving styles to get the fastest laps
Old 03-28-2019, 02:05 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

The Cup R tires are definitely fast.. in Bahrain 5.4km track the 991.2 Cup is 6 seconds faster than the GT2RS on Cup (non R ) tires, and that's a very fast track.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:18 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
So, add 180hp and get a 1.36 secs faster lap, on a track that has a massive back straight and a decent front straight.

It would be so nice if they showed the video in the .2 GT3RS, because I bet it has higher minimum speeds on most if not all turns.

Both cars are impressive, but I think the handling in the new .2 GT3 RS is at the top of any other Porsche 911 street car, the GT2 RS loses to it on handling but compensates with the extra power.

Is there any actual weight data from the 991.2 GT2 RS on calibrated scales? I'm trying to find why there is a significant handling difference and it could be related to weight and weight/distribution, and not just the downforce difference between the GT2 RS and GT3 RS.
The only main difference between the two is standard alignment. It always was that since the 996 gt2, passing on the 997 gt2 and rs to now. All the chassis hardware is the exact same, weight is not that different. Hell corner exit should even be better given the extra weight on the gt2.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:51 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
The weight difference is not that big. It's the fact that the GT2RS arrives at the corners faster and requires it's pilot to be an adept braker. You also have to show the 2RS throttle more respect compared to the 3RS. The cars require the driver to use different driving styles to get the fastest laps
Originally Posted by RennOracle
The only main difference between the two is standard alignment. It always was that since the 996 gt2, passing on the 997 gt2 and rs to now. All the chassis hardware is the exact same, weight is not that different. Hell corner exit should even be better given the extra weight on the gt2.
Actually the weight difference between the .2 GT3 RS and .2 GT2 RS seems to be significant, that's why I'm looking for customer cars on scales to validate. It will also explain the disparity on higher speeds through most turns on the GT3 RS compared to the GT2 RS, both on Cup2-R, and both cars using the same suspensions (sway bars, springs, shocks, bushings, arms, everything is shared by these two cars, and only these two cars). The downforce difference between these two cars at most turns is fairly small.

Porsche USA lists the curb weight for the GT2 RS at 3,241 lbs, and their listing for U.S. cars for many years have matched a car with all fluids topped, an empty fuel tank configured in the lightest specification.

R&T puts all their test cars on the scales, and they weighed the GT2RS at 3,376 lbs. R&T's procedure is to measure with a full tank of fuel. This press car has the Magnesium wheels, but no info on whether is an A/C delete car, I suspect that it has A/C, no FAL, and the standard fuel tank (16.9 gal), as Porsche like to provide lightweight press cars. In this case, the car weighs around 3,270 lbs with no fuel (A/C delete saves a further 26 lbs), getting pretty close to the Porsche advertised 3,241 lbs weight if the car didn't have the A/C.

My .2 GT3 RS has hit the scales three times already, and my numbers are over 250 lbs lower that those above for the GT2RS, and my only mods are a muffler, a battery and my track wheels (which weigh about the same as the Porsche OEM Mg, so that's a wash), so unless my battery and my JCR muffler saved 250 lbs, there is a sizeable difference in weight between the GT2RS and the GT3RS, and my car has FAL, A/C and radio.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:23 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
Who made him hold back the 3RS?

porsche
Old 03-28-2019, 10:06 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 943 Posts

A little extra

Old 03-28-2019, 10:26 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 569 Posts

I just realized that Randy Pobst drove the lap with the regular 3-point seatbelt! Ice cold!
Old 03-28-2019, 10:38 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Wow!! that's flying in a street car!
Old 03-28-2019, 11:06 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 943 Posts

Can't wait to see what happens with GT2 RS Clubsport times.....

Quick Reply: GT2RS Production Lap Record at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta