Sponsored by:

GT3 Values and Daily Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 12:57 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Look at 14 or 15 Turbo or Turbo S for a great daily in that price range and depreciation curve is flattening now.......GT3 is more a special event car....wish I could afford both....wife says no...
I've been looking at the Turbos but don't know if I need that kind of power. Sure its great to have, but honestly, feel like the cars potential isn't even being reached from a power perspective on the roads.

I get what you mean from a GT3 being a special event car. I think that's why I like it. Its more "exclusive" vs your standard Turbo that you see driving around. Between the Turbo/GT3, wouldn't you say the GT3 will hold its value more because of that "special event" kind.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:59 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
I DD my GT3 around 300 miles per week. But I get an unbelievably high SPM, so depreciation is not much of a concern to me.

SPM= smiles per mile!
This! Its amazing how much a great car makes going to and from work so much more enjoyable. I am picking up my GT3T next week and plan to throw it into DD duty with my Golf.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:04 PM
no401k
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

If you think the rs7 is too much power and very boring to drive, the gt3 isnt any better esp with less torque and it really only sings above 6k. Plus it beat u up in urban traffic, shifting is not smooth in slow speed, there's no parking sensors or cameras, ride is harsh, sound sys sucks, tires wear too fast for driving at 20mph all the time, carbon brakes screech like crazy, too much rattle inside the cabin, worrying too much about dings and dengs and steep driveways even with the lift. Not a good DD. Of course, this is highly subjective to which part of the city/world you live in. If you are in the suburbs in sunny snow free climate this is a lesser issue
Get a regular gts or S for DD it's a better car that's suited to daily duty plus weekend fun. You might run into similar problems with the turbo vs the rs7 so stay away from those. I would get highly optioned S for better resistance against depreciation, gts is almost gt3 money and no way it will hold.
Even with the .2 and .1RS dumping on the market and the 992 around the corner, these should hold values very well just coz of the gt name. They are fantastic cars that outperform cars 2x their price all day, and is very reliable. Highly optioned cars still call for a premium over those base cars at 110
Old 03-25-2019, 01:07 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 535 Posts

It will be interesting......They made over 2500 GT3 in 2018/9 for USA, plus the 991.1 GT3 run of close to 2000 cars ( all estimates from best data seen on this site)......991.2 Turbos are more rare than GT3, also have less production than the TTS the last 3 years 17-19......

Supply and demand rules will eventually come into play, especially just prior and after 992 release....

Low mile cars will always command more dollars, but if you want to drive everyday.....something else might be a better fit....

Go base Carrera, Carrera T, Carrera S, 4s.........Targas are also sweet in any variation.......Carrera T is very limited production relative to others....the cheap 911, but no so cheap anymore.......

All depends on what you want to do with the car.........have it sit and look pretty for the next owner or really enjoy and drive it the **** out of it.....smiles per mile....

Comment earlier from someone that maybe you should go for $60-80k range......997 low mile car?
Old 03-25-2019, 02:21 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by HardHitter
That's what I was thinking as well, but the market of asking prices looks to be sitting around the $120-$130K range at the moment. Per Autotrader there are 7 cars listed for $120K or less with only 1 CPO.
Fishing is not the same as catching.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:35 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

I daily drive my GT3 for the past month as my normal daily driver got totalled.

Youre going to suffer depreciation on the car. If you can’t stomach $20K depreciation over a few years as you said, then you really shouldn’t be considering a GT3. $20K over a few years is already very low.
The following users liked this post:
typehxr1 (12-29-2021)
Old 03-25-2019, 02:48 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Another value thread?1?!?!!?

As far as I know no one here has yet to acquire a crystal ball.....
Seriously!!. If ya cant afford it dont get it. If you can , get one and have fun!!!. So tired of seeing these value threads. I know this is a forumn but theres so many threads on this. Sorry zero help here haha
Old 03-25-2019, 02:52 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts

I find my GT3 a great DD; much better than the Turbo-S I used before, which was too Lexus like for me. The GT3 is comfortable, sounds great and is a blast to drive slow, medium or fast. But then again, I DD a Testarossa for 4 years and over 70,000 mikes back in the nineties. I buy cars to drive, not polish and look at in the garage.

Last edited by parkerfe; 03-25-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:16 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are going to DD, great. If you are worrying about depreciation...yes it will depreciate. It is a used car. That's all there is to it. Not trying to be arrogant, elitist, etc., but as with anything, "If you have to ask....."
There are a couple of value threads you might be able to find if you search real hard (read with sarcasm....there are way, way, way too many value threads....please don't start another....please)
Old 03-25-2019, 03:37 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No collusion. Values will steadily start rising. 😂
Old 03-25-2019, 03:46 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I daily it but find the LWBS pretty comfortable so that really wasn't an issue. There is a lot of "theater" with the car which makes daily driving rather enjoyable. I bet you'll find the same.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:25 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by HardHitter
A little background on me. I had 2012 Mazdaspeed3 as my daily and a 2007 911 Turbo for my weekend. I sold both and ended up getting a RS7 for my new daily. As much as I love the stupid amounts of power, the driving thrill/experience isn't there and I want a weekend toy again. I realized I don't need all this power because there rarely are any roads around here that like you use it. So then I thought, 718 Cayman GTS should be the perfect mix. Went to test drive it and thought it had OK power and was able to push it a little in the looping on-ramp turns but nothing was really opened up in the mountains. Dealership then told me to test drive a 2015 GT3.

I don't know if it is truly the way the car is setup or just because I knew it was a track focused car, I pushed it a little harder in the corners and seemed like it didn't flinch. I'm now debating on going into a GT3 but then that opens up a ton of different cars in that price range I never considered.

Anyway, how many of you are daily driving your GT3? How do you project these cars holding their value? Let's just say a 2015 with 16k miles at $135 now. My guess is about 3-4000 miles a year put on it. What are the key issues with this car that I need to inspect for?
Did you mean 30-40,000 miles a year? A 2015 with 16,000 miles already has 4,000 miles/year on it, so the depreciation will likely follow what it has already sustained.

If you aren't driving a car like this 4,000 miles a year (minimum), you are doing the car a huge disservice.

30,000 miles a year is much more reasonable!
Old 03-26-2019, 03:28 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan C.
The GT4 might make more sense for your needs. As a data point my previously owned Carmine Red GT4, $117,400 MSRP, is sitting at Kings Porsche in Cincinnati. 24,000 miles and meticulously maintained. My guess is you could easily get it for $90k maybe a bit less with CPO. Half of the miles were put on doing 6 Smokies GT events.
Heck, mine is at $86,000 with 10,000 miles and CPO, buckets and a $103k build, and it still hasn't sold. With that mileage, anything over $85k is quite impressive!

A GT4 is a great daily driver!
Old 03-26-2019, 03:32 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Once GT3 cars started becoming "investments" instead of toys and transport solutions, these threads were bound to overtake the boards.

The local dealer had a gorgeous 6MT, bucket-equipped Mexico Blue 991.2 GT3 on the floor. I inquired about it, and they told me "display car: the dealership's owner owns this car, and we will truck it to events and whatnot, but it won't gert any miles. He will flip it".

That story just made me cringe. If the owner of the dealership is flipping rather than driving an incredibly-built GT3, there is little hope that enthusiasm for these cars will win out over "collectibility" and "future value". Passion used to be what sold Porsches: now, I am not so sure

Originally Posted by vodavoda
If you are going to DD, great. If you are worrying about depreciation...yes it will depreciate. It is a used car. That's all there is to it. Not trying to be arrogant, elitist, etc., but as with anything, "If you have to ask....."
There are a couple of value threads you might be able to find if you search real hard (read with sarcasm....there are way, way, way too many value threads....please don't start another....please)
The following users liked this post:
typehxr1 (12-29-2021)
Old 03-26-2019, 04:08 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Porsche GT cars do not depreciate.

Don't be silly.

Quick Reply: GT3 Values and Daily Driving?