Sponsored by:

Steel v. PCCB - Paul Watson

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 08:39 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
but please don’t ask me the tile budget for the bath room remodel - but the tiles are ceramic just like the brakes.
I'm a tile/stone contractor in the Bay Area so I don't need to ask!
Old 03-27-2019, 11:01 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Did i make the wrong choice?

Old 03-27-2019, 11:40 AM
Akunob

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
Yep:

I had somewhere around 20 track days on PCCBs on the GT4, and had gone through a set of front and rear pads. When the rotors were measured while mounted the rears read down 40% so I freaked out and put giros all around. When I sold the car, before I put the PCCBs back on, the rotors were measured again off the car. Less then 5% gone all around. My GT3 has PCCBs and I'm not going to worry about them with the 6-7 days a year I do. If I get to the point somehow where I have worn them out I'll put the AP setup on the car.
Very interesting, I know the early knock on PCCBs arose from the gen. 1s on the 997s. The latter generation PCCBs are more resilient however it's Girodiscs for me for the track, $30K is still a tall order for what is essentially a consummable item.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:41 AM
Akunob

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

I don't see a wrong choice in that picture. The car is great, the color is awesome and the brakes are exquisite!! LOL
The following users liked this post:
robmypro (12-31-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 08:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Do you think you could outrun Randy Pobst driving a GT3 with iron rotors if you were driving a GT3 with PCCB? If not, then you can't maximize the capabilities of a GT3 with iron rotors, so why spend high bucks on PCCB?
Twist my words much? Reading comprehension issues?

My point was, all the people knocking the PCCBs as being no higher performing (or even lower performing) than iron, and saying only street nerds want the PCCBs, are delusional. Many serious track guys and racers have commented that they much prefer the PCCBs on the track from a performance perspective. I wasn't insinuating that anyone needed PCCBs of that they would transform you into Randy Pobst. You might try actually reading the posts before replying to them.

And just because one is not as skilled as someone like Randy Pobst doesn't mean they can't benefit from PCCBs. I've had both on my Porsches at the same time and I find the PCCBs much easier to modulate and set corner entry speed precisely than the iron rotors. I found it to be a big positive in canyon driving and I'd argue it was probably even moreso because I'm less skilled than the typical track rat. Someone who's amazeballs on the brakes might not care or notice as much. And on long drives/days there was zero fade, which I can say for the iron set up on my Spyder.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:20 AM
Porsches
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I was hoping this thread can help me out. My new 2018 GT3 PCCB will be twice a year track car BUT as I drive on gravel roads once a week during the summer - my concern is with PCCB at the track - and with gravel finding it’s way into the pad region - I’ll scrape the rotors. So I was thinking I should either (a) but a non Porsche PCCB now and store the originals or swap out to steel when I plan on taking it to the track. What are the brand options for steel - and is it easy enough to swap these myself regularly.

I check out the link above on some steel options from Brembo but it says it won’t work in one section when I selected my model. https://www.buybrakes.com/porsche-91...placement-disc

Any recommmendations are appreciated.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:03 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsches
I was hoping this thread can help me out. My new 2018 GT3 PCCB will be twice a year track car BUT as I drive on gravel roads once a week during the summer - my concern is with PCCB at the track - and with gravel finding it’s way into the pad region - I’ll scrape the rotors. So I was thinking I should either (a) but a non Porsche PCCB now and store the originals or swap out to steel when I plan on taking it to the track. What are the brand options for steel - and is it easy enough to swap these myself regularly.

I check out the link above on some steel options from Brembo but it says it won’t work in one section when I selected my model. https://www.buybrakes.com/porsche-91...placement-disc

Any recommmendations are appreciated.
Girodisc, Racing Brake & AP Racing
Old 03-28-2019, 09:24 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 781 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
Very interesting, I know the early knock on PCCBs arose from the gen. 1s on the 997s. The latter generation PCCBs are more resilient however it's Girodiscs for me for the track, $30K is still a tall order for what is essentially a consummable item.
There is another thread about this very same thing happening. Cant remember exactly the deal but apparently you cannot accurately measure PCCB's while they are on the car.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:55 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Yeah you look like you're about to scrape the front splitter.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:51 PM
tlaritz
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I searched this thread for "unsprung" (as in unsprung weight) and did not find any nits. Some data I have seen implies that ceramic rotors are up to 10 lbs lighter than steel/iron rotors. Aren't the reduction in unsprung weight and corresponding improvement in handling additional criteria by which PCCBs should be judged? Or, have I missed posts which address this aspect? Perhaps I needed to search for "un-sprung."

I'm not saying that PCCB are better overall. All I am pointing out is unsprung weight should be included as a criteria.

BTW, I in no way can afford the $20K replacement cost for 4 PCCB disks by any means.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:28 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,102 Likes on 2,122 Posts

They definitely are judged by that. However, I think this article was mostly referencing that if you are tracking your car, you should be using steel rotors.

If someone had a racing budget, then yes, PCCB would be the right choice. Fade resistance and less unsprung weight.

For the normal track driver, steel rotors should be used for track days. If just a car for around town, PCCB is a great choice. Less dust and great stopping power.

Only real concern is if you have a tech drop a wheel on the rotor, that can be an expensive mistake. Figure $5k for the rotor and I am guessing in most cases they will want to replace in pairs.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:32 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 565 Posts

For the street PCCBs are overkill.

For the track PCCBs are a huge expense.

I fully understand the huge dust issue with steel rotors and pads, but my solution was to get aftermarket pads—can't remember the brand, but these things are great—almost zero dust and solid, predictable stopping on the street. I doubt they would do well on the track, but neither do PCCBs, it seems.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:30 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

From the article:
"Carbon brake kits are lighter, look cooler, and should last a lot longer than cast iron discs on the road. They also don't create any brake dust - a good thing for J.D. Power survey respondents and the fishes. A Washington State University paper said minute amounts of copper from brake dust is killing salmon in the Pacific Northwest, as did another study from the Ecological Society of America.

So when Wheels asked Watson who carbon ceramic brakes are for, he replied', "People who don't like cleaning their wheels. They don't leave a build-up of brake dust, so that's an advantage."

Used market folks will be so worried about pccb brakes wear but they sure look cool at cars and coffee
Old 12-30-2019, 09:44 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The Yellows

Just like many of us in Florida have very expensive Impact Hurricane Glass windows and doors basically to not deal with 5 hours of placing and taking off heavy shutters up each time there is a hurricane warning, PCCBs save the hassle of spending inordinate amounts of time cleaning nasty brake dust off wheels and drums. I don't tracks my cars but would never have a 911 without the yellows. And they look amazing with certain exterior colors.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:15 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by cabman4007
Just like many of us in Florida have very expensive Impact Hurricane Glass windows and doors basically to not deal with 5 hours of placing and taking off heavy shutters up each time there is a hurricane warning, PCCBs save the hassle of spending inordinate amounts of time cleaning nasty brake dust off wheels and drums. I don't tracks my cars but would never have a 911 without the yellows. And they look amazing with certain exterior colors.
I get the analogy! I suspect that where I live more people will be giving hurricane glass windows a second consideration after the passing of a law that mandates taking down all shutters within two weeks of a storm's passing.

There are still a lot of homes still shuttered up after the last hurricane that never was. However, many people struggle to afford plywood, which is nominally better than cardboard.

Quick Reply: Steel v. PCCB - Paul Watson