Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this the right time to trade a GT3.2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 10:39 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfonso Zito
Hi guys,

I'm really close to buy a GT3 .2 for a overall cost around 150K/euro.

Do you think that this is the right time to trade this car, or it will be better to wait 6/9months when 992 gt3 will be officially presented?

I've fear to buy a 150K car that in the next 6 months will drop to 130k with no esitations.

What do you think about that? Buy or waiting?
Alfonso, if you are looking at a 570S, you may want to forget about depreciation entirely. That car, even used, will hose you to the ground. Better off just making piles of Euros and putting them in the fireplace to heat your home.
The GT3, on it's worst day, still hold value exceptionally well. 6 and 7 year old models still sell for large premiums over their non GT stablemates.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:41 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

If you keep waiting for a lower price, you'll never have a car to enjoy. There's always something new around the corner that *could* affect what's here currently. No one knows what the future will bring, but I know I love having the cars in my stable today.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:49 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 111 Posts

I wonder if there is another car that has as much discussion about depreciation as the GT's. I would guess that the essence of this issue is the previous history of low depreciation. Check most of the Mclaren's they drop like a rock but are hugely popular
Old 03-05-2019, 11:02 AM
MPietro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
...they drop like a rock ...
i think this is the nature of a sportcar. It is not an utility, is a toy and in my apparence no matter if you buy a porsche, lambo, ferrari or mclaren prices thus values of those cars drops dremendous. But most of them who CAN buy them dont care at all...being as said a toy not more than it. And yes there are exeptions this is however not a rule
Old 03-05-2019, 11:59 AM
Alfonso Zito
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by docjohnM
Alfonso, if you are looking at a 570S, you may want to forget about depreciation entirely. That car, even used, will hose you to the ground. Better off just making piles of Euros and putting them in the fireplace to heat your home.
The GT3, on it's worst day, still hold value exceptionally well. 6 and 7 year old models still sell for large premiums over their non GT stablemates.
totally true, that's why I excluded Mclaren. Apart of depreciation, it's really expensive on track usage. I'm not rich enough, I'm just a car passionate that make sacrifice to enjoy life
Additionally, italy is one of worst country when own a sportcar. For a Gt3 Mk2, just owning cost, you've to face:

- 5k taxes/yearly for the first 5 years
- 3K insurance
- 1.5K for approved
= around 10K just to leave it in the garage.

Based on that, I would love to buy it in a "smart market window", when the depreciation it won't be accellerated from news, as the 992 gt3.
that's the original question mark of the topic. But I understood that it's impossible to analyze or predict the drop, so I need just to know if I desire or not to buy it, forget about deprez.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:26 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I really hate buyers like you. Drive the damn car and stop worrying about what it will be worth in 6 months. I hope Porsche stops selling cars to speculators.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Alfonso Zito
Advanced

Angry

Originally Posted by drdonger
I really hate buyers like you. Drive the damn car and stop worrying about what it will be worth in 6 months. I hope Porsche stops selling cars to speculators.
sorry, i'm not a speculator. I'm just a guy that put all money in the buck on a dream car.

Unfortunately, I cannot burn tons of money like most of you, and I just want to understand if I can afford or not the deal, cause I don't want to go in 6 months in front of A SPECULATOR that will buy my car for penauts as I cannot face all costs.

that's it.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:49 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Thumbs down

sorry, i'm not a speculator. I'm just a guy that put all money in the buck on a dream car.

Unfortunately, I cannot burn tons of money like most of you, and I just want to understand if I can afford or not the deal, cause I don't want to go in 6 months in front of A SPECULATOR that will buy my car for penauts as I cannot face all costs.

that's it.
Well you aren't that smart if you are putting all your money in a dream car that you cannot afford depreciation on. If you are trying to sell it so that you don't lose money, then you are a speculator. You are speculating on the price of the car in 6 months. That is the definition of a speculator. What if you got rear ended? Your 150k car will now be worth 130k. There are tons of people that want GT3's and will use them, but instead we have people like you worrying about what they will be worth in 6 months and if they can sell it for what they paid.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

that's it.
It seems like your worry is not the deal itself, but you worry that you cannot afford to KEEP the car and may have to sell it in 6 months. If you are truly worried you cannot afford the cost of keeping the car, then I strongly suggest you do not buy it.. There will be depreciation, no doubt about it, the only uncertainty is by how much. There will also be costs of ownership, as you are well aware. If you are not able to afford the cost of ownership and have to sell the car 6 months later, you have now been cursed twice. Once by the depreciation, and secondly by what you had to spend to own and maintain the car.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:31 PM
Alfonso Zito
Advanced

Originally Posted by drdonger
Well you aren't that smart if you are putting all your money in a dream car that you cannot afford depreciation on. If you are trying to sell it so that you don't lose money, then you are a speculator. You are speculating on the price of the car in 6 months. That is the definition of a speculator. What if you got rear ended? Your 150k car will now be worth 130k. There are tons of people that want GT3's and will use them, but instead we have people like you worrying about what they will be worth in 6 months and if they can sell it for what they paid.
I really don't want to debate on it, as I know really well to don't be a speculator.
Years ago, I owned a Alfa romeo 4c, I sell it for the evora 410, I lost money.
I owned a Lotus Evora 410, I drive and sell it cause tons of car problem and I face the depreciation, I lost money and I'm happy to sold it.

I really cannot understand how much Porsche if far from other similar cars I owned.
The original question of the task was to understand if buy it now (with more sacrifice) or buy it in the next 12 months, saving some money on the purchase, as any users evaluate when buy cars, I think. I never spoken about buy and sell it to make margin. Please.

Probably I'm worried too much to something that isn't like it is, cause I never have a top 5 brand sportcar in my box. And I just want to make a conscious purchase, enjoiyng the car with no headache.
I'm considering honest and trasparent to face this questions with your help, instead of show off wealth and don't use it for don't spend money, as tons of users.

You, as passionate like me, have to be probably proud of someone that follow dreams and make sacrifice to make them true, instead of demonize it.

that's my honest opinion
Old 03-05-2019, 01:32 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

I thought the 992 GT3 was still like 2 years away?
Old 03-05-2019, 01:34 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

OP, i would assume the value will drop. It probably isn’t going to do a swan dive, but it will depreciate like almost all cars do. My 2016 BMW has depreciated $30k easy in 3 years, and that is half the cost. So yes, assume the worst. Now, can you afford it? That is the real question.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:38 PM
Alfonso Zito
Advanced

Originally Posted by robmypro
OP, i would assume the value will drop. It probably isn’t going to do a swan dive, but it will depreciate like almost all cars do. My 2016 BMW has depreciated $30k easy in 3 years, and that is half the cost. So yes, assume the worst. Now, can you afford it? That is the real question.

Good luck with your decision.
this is the most complicated thing to figure out.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:47 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

If you cannot afford to buy something without being able to financially walk away from a 100% loss on it, with all of your bases covered then you shouldn't buy it.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:52 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

this is the most complicated thing to figure out.
I would like to hear more about your experience with the Evora 410. For a month or two a while back I was trying to find one and considered buying.

Sure glad i did not from your comment so would be interested to hear

Quick Reply: Is this the right time to trade a GT3.2?