Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this the right time to trade a GT3.2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 06:59 PM
Alfonso Zito
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C5driver
I spend at least $120k a year on my kids education, which is akin to pouring gas on a suitcase with $120k cash and setting it on fire. If I didn't think there was value, they'd be going to a JC. Cars should be seen in the same manner.
totally true. I don’t have any doubt to spend 150k on this cars, and I appreciate the value. Again the concern is around the overall maintainance and running cost and taxes.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:05 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfonso Zito
I thought about it, but I’m scared about the engine issue, as I DON’T wanna sell the car, at least like first project, but the idea is to collect it. So what will happen after the 10 years guarantee, if you decide to leave the car in the garage? I don’t wanna face 50k labour for a 15/20 years hold car, with an engine replacement that never will have anreal
fix, at least at the moment.
How will the new 4.0 hold up over time? What about the transmission issues? (for manual) I think considering a car as a keeper when they haven't even been out for 2 years is quite the gamble. There are known issues with the .1, but at least they are known and finite.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:16 PM
Alfonso Zito
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tangerine
How will the new 4.0 hold up over time? What about the transmission issues? (for manual) I think considering a car as a keeper when they haven't even been out for 2 years is quite the gamble. There are known issues with the .1, but at least they are known and finite.
it seems that 4.0 don’t have issues,that’s why I was oriented to buy the mk2.
I don’t be the one that need the last model, as I love the Mk1 like mk2. It’s just about engine reliability. If a real fix was delivered, no doubts to spend my money on the mk1. 10 years guarantee is just a patch, not a solution. If I was a speculator, no doubts to spend money in the Mk1 and sell it in the next 3/4 years.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:41 PM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought about it, but I’m scared about the engine issue, as I DON’T wanna sell the car, at least like first project, but the idea is to collect it. So what will happen after the 10 years guarantee, if you decide to leave the car in the garage? I don’t wanna face 50k labour for a 15/20 years hold car, with an engine replacement that never will have anreal
fix, at least at the moment.
Are you trolling here?

You claim you can afford the car easily but you're worried about taxes, maintenance costs and resale AND you're also worried about $50k repairs 20 years from now?

​​​​With all due respect: YOU'RE NOT READY!!!
Old 03-05-2019, 07:47 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You're better off getting a more affordable track car and not stressing so much over finances. Sure no one likes to lose money but you could wait 6 months and the GT3 will have dropped $20K, but then you wait another 6 months, then it drops some more, then you wait another 6 months. 18 months go by and you have no track car. Those are 18 months you'll never get back.

You need to look at this purchase as a sunk cost and buy it cash. Your car ownership experience will be much more liberating and enjoyable if you're not stressing so much about cost.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Alfonso Zito
Advanced

Originally Posted by surfer
You're better off getting a more affordable track car and not stressing so much over finances. Sure no one likes to lose money but you could wait 6 months and the GT3 will have dropped $20K, but then you wait another 6 months, then it drops some more, then you wait another 6 months. 18 months go by and you have no track car. Those are 18 months you'll never get back.

You need to look at this purchase as a sunk cost and buy it cash. Your car ownership experience will be much more liberating and enjoyable if you're not stressing so much about cost.
True. Do it without thinking about it or go back on the decision and change scope. It’s a matter of priority. I’m not trolling, I’m clearly confuse. Sorry so much for it.
all this have sense. I need just to think about it and take a decision, making it with heart and buy it or make a step back and change project.
Ill let you know for sure.
Really thank for all of your infos and advice, all were appreciated and usueful.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:48 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

If you like it, then buy it. Life is short and you never know. And you are going to be dead for a long time. Enjoy. Maybe your number is not up yet. But what about the guy sitting next to you when the airplane goes down?
Old 03-05-2019, 10:06 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Alfonso,

I am not a wealthy person. At least by the standards of some on this forum. My first Porsche was a 981 Cayman GTS and I really wanted a GT4. I waited several years for everything to align and traded in January 2018. I got a 2 year old car with 765 miles on it for slightly under MSRP. Considering it had PPF and was CPO, I consider this even more of a discount. Within 6 months GT4 prices started to drop. And now, just over a year later, it is probably under $90k on trade and maybe $95k on private sale. That's between a $10k-$20k loss and that is assuming best case.

I had an opportunity to buy a 991.2 GT3 on an MSRP allocation. Ultimately I turned it down. I had to look at what was right for me overall, not just whether I could afford the car. The question I ask is "can I do this with no financial concern, no risk, and no hesitation" and the answer was no. And for me, if any part of that is a no, I walk away.

Life is short, no doubt. And I want to experience it. I just don't want to experience where I have to worry or sacrifice something else. And if buying a GT3 means you sacrifice other things, then the concern is the car stops being fun. And if there is one thing they should be, it is fun.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:26 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

True. Do it without thinking about it or go back on the decision and change scope. It’s a matter of priority. I’m not trolling, I’m clearly confuse. Sorry so much for it.
all this have sense. I need just to think about it and take a decision, making it with heart and buy it or make a step back and change project.
Ill let you know for sure.
Really thank for all of your infos and advice, all were appreciated and usueful.
You're not a troll. Your posts seem sincere and your command of English is better than my Italian (non-existent)

Only YOU can figure out your financial resources and make a prudent/enjoyable ownership decision.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2019, 03:44 AM
Alfonso Zito
Advanced

Originally Posted by iammacey
Alfonso,

I am not a wealthy person. At least by the standards of some on this forum. My first Porsche was a 981 Cayman GTS and I really wanted a GT4. I waited several years for everything to align and traded in January 2018. I got a 2 year old car with 765 miles on it for slightly under MSRP. Considering it had PPF and was CPO, I consider this even more of a discount. Within 6 months GT4 prices started to drop. And now, just over a year later, it is probably under $90k on trade and maybe $95k on private sale. That's between a $10k-$20k loss and that is assuming best case.

I had an opportunity to buy a 991.2 GT3 on an MSRP allocation. Ultimately I turned it down. I had to look at what was right for me overall, not just whether I could afford the car. The question I ask is "can I do this with no financial concern, no risk, and no hesitation" and the answer was no. And for me, if any part of that is a no, I walk away.

Life is short, no doubt. And I want to experience it. I just don't want to experience where I have to worry or sacrifice something else. And if buying a GT3 means you sacrifice other things, then the concern is the car stops being fun. And if there is one thing they should be, it is fun.
appreciate your transparency on this. I made the same with gt3. I waited to afford Mk1, but due to the engine issue I decided to move on Mk2, as I cannot sleep thinking that in case I want to collect it, I’ve to potential change several motor in the long life usage. I had a bad experience with lotus, and I want a bullet proof car, this is mandatory. Now that I’m situated in the low range to put it in the garage, I had exactly your question in my mind. In the short term, I didn’t sacrifice anything on a monthly basis (as you imagine I’m not the guy that make impulsive buying ) but for sure on a long term prospective, this will put far from other goals (example new home for the potential
kods I’ll have in the next years) and Italian taxation not help, as imagine that just for taxes this car in 20 years will cost more around 80k, just to leave in the garage.

So isn’t simple to figure out.

Curious to have you feedback on GT4, as is a product that I don’t know really well and I put many time eyes and mind on it.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:09 AM
MPietro
Advanced

wow....what for a discussion

Alfonso, we had a chat however let me bring up an additional point.

You have lost lot of money with cars, different brands. And yes, this is almost normal. Unfortunely. I've leased my family car a BMW 535iT F11 for almost 5y and bought it out, it was the idea of my ex girlfriend saying we need a family car as well as my sohn was 3 at that time. The car was about 78k today I will not get more than 25k. So, lot of money in the wind.

I have leased my previous 991 GTS, bought it out and resold with a plus of 15k euro (15000km, 3y old, porsche sold me it for net 68k I have resold it for 93 with tax). A nice plus in the banc account.

I am not sure but I means understood that this would be your first porsche, isnt ? if so, it seems porsche has some more "magic" or let call more "stability" than other brands. I am also not guaratee you, you will be able to resell your GT3 with a plus, or at the same price as too many factors play a crucial role on the end price. One of them: how and where do you use it. Me personally for instance, I would never ever buy a car which has been used on tracks!

I think too, waiting for the new 992 GT3 is not an option, it could goes exact the opposite way as yes the car is again a natural aspired and it will be again more expensive than the 991.2 GT3 but, I could immagine that lof of peoples dont like the "modern look" of a track car as it is been made in the new GT3. For me it looks more like a Panamera than a 911.

At the end, yes the costs are in Italy horrend, risk is high knowing you drive and park without full casco. But, as you have financially the stability to buy (did you tought about to lease it? you always could buy it out...) this car GO for it !

Sure is, you will never loose than much as with other brands.

ciao

Old 03-07-2019, 02:17 PM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
Alfonso,

Excellent advice!!
Old 03-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Here is my take; if you care about value, buy the car, hold it extremely long term (10 years or so), sell it at auction, and you'll make a lot of money on it. However, if you care about the driving experience, buy it now, drive it, enjoy it, put tons of miles on it, and pass it along to the next person (family member, friend, etc) who will enjoy and take care of it.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:50 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

best time to buy a GT3 is when you can afford it...
Old 03-08-2019, 02:02 AM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I really don't want to debate on it, as I know really well to don't be a speculator.
Years ago, I owned a Alfa romeo 4c, I sell it for the evora 410, I lost money.
I owned a Lotus Evora 410, I drive and sell it cause tons of car problem and I face the depreciation, I lost money and I'm happy to sold it.

I really cannot understand how much Porsche if far from other similar cars I owned.
The original question of the task was to understand if buy it now (with more sacrifice) or buy it in the next 12 months, saving some money on the purchase, as any users evaluate when buy cars, I think. I never spoken about buy and sell it to make margin. Please.

Probably I'm worried too much to something that isn't like it is, cause I never have a top 5 brand sportcar in my box. And I just want to make a conscious purchase, enjoiyng the car with no headache.
I'm considering honest and trasparent to face this questions with your help, instead of show off wealth and don't use it for don't spend money, as tons of users.

You, as passionate like me, have to be probably proud of someone that follow dreams and make sacrifice to make them true, instead of demonize it.

that's my honest opinion
i spent years before pulling the trigger. My friend told me to not think about the depreciation, think about the value it keeps. Will I turn 190k into 150k, probably but 150k is good money. Cars depriciate, the more you spend the more you lose. If that hurts then buy a .1 for 150k instead of a .2 for 190k, you’ll lose less. But for me it came down to 150k and 190k being equally crazy. So I just went for 190 out the door for the new spec and paying 9k adm too. You’ll know when you *have* to buy it. If you’re still asking questions then you should keep preparing.

My car arrives in Jacksonville today on the Siem Cicero!

Quick Reply: Is this the right time to trade a GT3.2?