Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Steering Wheel Disassembly Multifunction Heated Delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019 | 04:20 AM
jjrho
Advanced

Default Steering wheel swap

Great article... I just bought the CF wheel from suncoast...only $800.... can't believe how cheap it was......i have a 18 gt3 manual with Alcantara wheels but wanted CF so...

question is... do I need to buy anything more from suncoast? Can I just transfer all the black trim pieces from the orig wheel to the new CF wheel ?? The new cf wheel does have heated steering but orig.wheel does not... is it worth it to keep the control box and connect the wires for heating? Or would pcm or ECU realize that orig car wheel didn't have heated steering n throw a code ?!??

If i can just transfer my black trim pieces from Alcantara wheel to the new CF wheel..I'd be happy....

Last edited by jjrho; 01-11-2019 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-11-2019 | 04:43 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

You can just transfer everything from your original wheel to the CF one. I bought and swapped the pieces because I wanted to keep my original wheel in one piece and I liked the non-screw type inserts better than the screw type.

Heating won’t work on a GT3 because, at the very least, the clock spring does not have the wires for heat in it. It does have a place for the plug, but there are no wires behind it. You won’t get a code regardless. You do want to keep the control box, unless you want to swap the harness too. I’d start by disassembling the stock wheel as it will be easier than the CF one (CF one will have the box and the wires for heat and MF) and it will show you how everything fits together.

Good luck with the swap and post some picture when you are done. BTW, the XZN socket finally showed up. $4 as an add on item on amazon, but T55 worked fine for me.
Old 01-13-2019 | 09:51 AM
jjrho
Advanced

Default Wheel swap

Tnx to ur article....I did mine today..... was easy..... I just used a t55 to take off n used the same one again.....not the bolt that was sent with CF wheel...

so if there's no wires on the gt3 stalk for the control box loom..... there's no sense in connecting/ transferring the control stuff as it simply wont work.... good. I was debating whether to cause having pcm control would be ok with me but....

Had to get yellow stitching done at local upholstery shop to match my deviated stitching motif.....

Last edited by jjrho; 01-13-2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Typo
The following 2 users liked this post by jjrho:
evilfij (08-13-2019), usrodeo4 (05-24-2021)
Old 01-13-2019 | 10:50 AM
dieselino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jjrho
Tnx to ur article....I did mine today..... was easy..... I just used a t55 to take off n used the same one again.....not the bolt that was sent with CF wheel...

so if there's no wires on the gt3 stalk for the control box loom..... there's no sense in connecting/ transferring the control stuff as it simply wont work.... good. I was debating whether to cause having pcm control would be ok with me but....

Had to get yellow stitching done at local upholstery shop to match my deviated stitching motif.....
more pics!!
Old 01-13-2019 | 02:14 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Nice work!
Old 01-24-2019 | 04:02 AM
anythingbuttime
Pro

If I order the wheel from suncoast, do I need to order the one with the sport chrono selector, or can that be moved from my original wheel? It appears the attachment points are present on your wheel. My original wheel is the smaller diameter...same trim for either size wheel?
Old 01-24-2019 | 04:12 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by anythingbuttime
If I order the wheel from suncoast, do I need to order the one with the sport chrono selector, or can that be moved from my original wheel? It appears the attachment points are present on your wheel. My original wheel is the smaller diameter...same trim for either size wheel?
So I am not sure of the answer to your first question, but I suspect you could transfer everything including the harness and back cover and make it work, but you should ask Ric at suncoast to confirm. GT3 do not have the sport chrono dial so I don’t know. Certainly ordering with is easier, but I understand it is extra money to do it that way. The trim is the same regardless of the size of the wheel.
Old 01-24-2019 | 09:38 AM
anythingbuttime
Pro

@evilfij. thank you!
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (09-14-2019)
Old 01-25-2019 | 01:02 AM
flgfish
Pro

Originally Posted by evilfij

So I am not sure of the answer to your first question, but I suspect you could transfer everything including the harness and back cover and make it work, but you should ask Ric at suncoast to confirm. GT3 do not have the sport chrono dial so I don’t know. Certainly ordering with is easier, but I understand it is extra money to do it that way. The trim is the same regardless of the size of the wheel.
Same cost with or without the dial from Suncoast, when I bought mine ... $995 if I remember right for the GT wheel.
Old 02-13-2019 | 04:34 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I just got done replacing the 3 Silver inserts, with the help of a neighborhood car guy, and it took us 1.5 hours albeit we were shooting the crap as we worked. I like the look and now I just need my custom crest to complete the look. I cannot recall who lent me their 3 Silver steering wheel inserts so if it was you please PM me so I can send you the ones that came off my wheel.

The following users liked this post:
usrodeo4 (05-24-2021)
Old 02-13-2019 | 04:40 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Looking good Bob Z.
Old 02-14-2019 | 11:28 AM
flgfish
Pro

Yep, pretty sweet. First wheel I've seen done up like that.
Old 02-14-2019 | 11:43 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

When I get and install the custom Miami/Blue crest on the steering wheel I will be done with the interior (I think).
Old 07-12-2019 | 05:27 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

By logic in this thread it stands to reason (all else being equal), that the MULTIFUNCTION portion of the steering can be swapped from one wheel to another? I know that the clock spring, etc. Will need to be changed as well (and it will need to be dealer programmed) but otherwise ok?
Old 07-12-2019 | 07:54 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
By logic in this thread it stands to reason (all else being equal), that the MULTIFUNCTION portion of the steering can be swapped from one wheel to another? I know that the clock spring, etc. Will need to be changed as well (and it will need to be dealer programmed) but otherwise ok?
I have not done it, but I believe so, with the wiring harness in the wheel, buttons, back parts of buttons, and that I don’t think heat will work.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Steering Wheel Disassembly Multifunction Heated Delete