Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone used BRAKEPERFORMANCE brake rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 06:56 PM
yxc145
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anyone used BRAKEPERFORMANCE brake rotors?

Hi All

Has anyone used BRAKEPERFORMANCE brand brake rotors? They are a lot cheaper than OEM rotors. I don't plan on tracking the car. I wonder if the quality is good enough for normal street driving.
Greatly appreciate if anyone can provide their opinion/experience. Thank you.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:09 PM
yxc145
Instructor

No one has tried them before?
Old 11-26-2018, 06:42 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Never heard of them....
Old 11-26-2018, 07:04 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

My advice is put on the highest quality rotors you can find, your life depends on it.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:36 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I used them on my 996GT3 before I upgraded to Brembo floating. The Cayenne 350mm rotors fit the 996GT3 so used those. They didn't last very long for track, and cracked (same as other rotors used on track) pretty quickly, 6-8 track weekends. But, with lifetime warranty, sent back for $60 and got a new free set.

So for cheap fixed rotors, I would use them, but I would not use their floating design.

Several people used them on their 996 and 997 and Cayenne's, so search in those forums.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...our-bucks.html
see post #3.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:10 PM
yxc145
Instructor

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
My advice is put on the highest quality rotors you can find, your life depends on it.
Originally Posted by mdrums
Never heard of them....
Originally Posted by tgavem
I used them on my 996GT3 before I upgraded to Brembo floating. The Cayenne 350mm rotors fit the 996GT3 so used those. They didn't last very long for track, and cracked (same as other rotors used on track) pretty quickly, 6-8 track weekends. But, with lifetime warranty, sent back for $60 and got a new free set.

So for cheap fixed rotors, I would use them, but I would not use their floating design.

Several people used them on their 996 and 997 and Cayenne's, so search in those forums.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...our-bucks.html
see post #3.
Thank you guys for the response/feedback. Turned out the information on their website is wrong. They do not currently have the rotors for 991 GT3/RS. I was told that they do not know when they will ever get them since the manufacturer is not "authorized" by Porsche to make the aftermarket rotors yet. Not sure what that means? Maybe the manufacturer is the currently making the rotors for Porsche and aren't allowed to sell them to aftermarket distributors yet? They also mentioned that, unlike regular Carrera, there aren't too many GT cars. So not worth it for manufacturer to make direct replacement selling at a bargain price.
So, I guess the next best thing is is GIRODISC.
Now my new question is, what is a bargin brand brake pads for our cars?
Old 11-27-2018, 02:22 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

You need to find your size and match, ex they dont have 996/7 GT3 rotors but Cayenne and Turbo rotors match in size and offset so use those. So for your car, find diameter and offset and then locate matching car, probably Turbo, or Cayenne GTS or Turbo. One car may fit front and need another car to match rear. Porsche mix and match parts all the time so a little investigation should get you there.

Do not use cheap pads. The wear rate and adhesion to the steel backing is critical. Saw the aftermath of a guy in a Porsche Turbo who wore through his cheap pads in 3x 20 min sessions, the pads disintegrated, piston popped out, damaged rotos and some body panel. Thankfully car did a couple of 360's at turn 12 of COTA and did not hit anything.
Cast rotors are more simple and therefore can same a little but pads are composite and multiple layers of fabrication and therefore QA is important. Buy OEM from Sunset Porsche, they will be lower priced.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:59 PM
yxc145
Instructor

Originally Posted by tgavem
You need to find your size and match, ex they dont have 996/7 GT3 rotors but Cayenne and Turbo rotors match in size and offset so use those. So for your car, find diameter and offset and then locate matching car, probably Turbo, or Cayenne GTS or Turbo. One car may fit front and need another car to match rear. Porsche mix and match parts all the time so a little investigation should get you there.

Do not use cheap pads. The wear rate and adhesion to the steel backing is critical. Saw the aftermath of a guy in a Porsche Turbo who wore through his cheap pads in 3x 20 min sessions, the pads disintegrated, piston popped out, damaged rotos and some body panel. Thankfully car did a couple of 360's at turn 12 of COTA and did not hit anything.
Cast rotors are more simple and therefore can same a little but pads are composite and multiple layers of fabrication and therefore QA is important. Buy OEM from Sunset Porsche, they will be lower priced.
Gotcha. Thank you for the advise. Are HAWK performance pads ok?
Old 11-28-2018, 01:15 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Never used them, for the car you drive, I would stay with Ferodo, StopTech or Pagid. Call these guys. https://apexperformance.net/
Old 11-28-2018, 01:24 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Vendor

Location: Reno/McCarran, NV - Bay Area, CA - NW Burbs of Chicago, IL
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yxc145
Gotcha. Thank you for the advise. Are HAWK performance pads ok?
Only their DTC compounds seem to be somewhat decent relative to the competition but there are better options out there, in my opinion. On the street side their HPS compound is downright dangerous for anything more aggressive than getting groceries and their other higher performing street pads are simply too compromised in other areas compared to options from higher end brands.

Are you just using your car on the street or do you plan on attending track events as well? What do you prioritize in a brake pad for this car?

-Matt M.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used BRAKEPERFORMANCE brake rotors?