Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Rotors - best Bang for your bucks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 02:08 AM
JB GT3 996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake Rotors - best Bang for your bucks?

Hi to all, I have a 996 2004 GT3CS. Used regularly for sprint level track events plus on the road a little.

Time to upgrade the front brake rotors for the six pots, understand the OEM is Sebro brand. Interested in what people think is the best bang for your buck re quality versus price versus performance.
Have no issue at all with noisy pads and rotors! But don’t want to do three-piece floating rotors.
many thanks

PS perhaps also re the age old debate of slotted versus hole drilled cooling?
Old 10-18-2018, 06:52 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by JB GT3 996
Hi to all, I have a 996 2004 GT3CS. Used regularly for sprint level track events plus on the road a little.

Time to upgrade the front brake rotors for the six pots, understand the OEM is Sebro brand. Interested in what people think is the best bang for your buck re quality versus price versus performance.
Have no issue at all with noisy pads and rotors! But don’t want to do three-piece floating rotors.
many thanks

DBA do a single piece slotted rotor for Porsche Cayenne that fits our cars and is available locally for about $440 a pair. The stud holes require drilling out an extra 1mm. I have not tried them but they will probably outlast the OEM in a track setting due to not being cross drilled. Certainly a very cost effective option. I have run Brembo Type III two piece which are fantastic but at 1K per corner (not incl hats) you have to wonder whether they’re worth it in an amateur environment. I would say not.

FWIW lots of guys in the US have run $100 Porsche Cayenne rotors with good results. We don’t have them at our disposal in Aus however.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:05 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 996 Likes on 529 Posts

I've been buying the front Cayenne rotors from Brake Performance.

I buy the slotted and dimpled versions. Cross drilled rotors crack too easily and quickly.

As far as I know, when it comes time for the rear rotors the OEMs are the only ones, but they don't see the abuse the front rotors do.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:37 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Just noticed the "lifetime warranty" on their site. They warranty against warping and cracking for the lifetime of the rotor. Interesting.....
Old 10-18-2018, 09:54 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Time to upgrade the front brake rotors for the six pots, understand the OEM is Sebro brand.
Sent you PM. I am selling a full set including cooling ducts. A good place to start for low cost
Old 10-18-2018, 12:39 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

many thanks

I've been buying Cayenne rotors (350MM) from BrakePerformance for years. Around $100 each. It's a big hunk of metal. Don't pay extra.

Also, I don't think there is still a debate on slotted vs drilled. As long as there is air flow to the brakes, both are good. Modern pads don't gas out and the weight issue is irrelevant at $100 bucks.

-td
Old 10-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by himself
I've been buying Cayenne rotors (350MM) from BrakePerformance for years. Around $100 each. It's a big hunk of metal. Don't pay extra.

Also, I don't think there is still a debate on slotted vs drilled. As long as there is air flow to the brakes, both are good. Modern pads don't gas out and the weight issue is irrelevant at $100 bucks.

-td
I think the only advantage for slots and holes is under wet conditions. The pads may not out-gas, but wet rotors and pads will produce steam.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:44 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Have you ever returned a set under warranty for cracking and gotten a new set free of charge?
Old 10-18-2018, 04:12 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I have been using the Rick DeMan slotted front rotors for a long time, and they outlast the OEM rotors at least 3/1. I highly recommend them.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:31 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 177mph
Have you ever returned a set under warranty for cracking and gotten a new set free of charge?
No, I never had one crack (except the original OEM rotors), but I had one that didn't fit on my Cayenne I bought from Brake Performance.

I called the support number and they said no problem. They sent me a replacement without fuss or delay. Told me to trash the old one (which I did).

I think Brake Performance would probably honor their claims — but, and this is a big one, If a drilled rotor cracks badly enough it could fracture. Warranty or not, I don't won't 25 lbs of rotor splitting apart while driving at speed.

That's why I stick with slotted and dimpled.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:59 PM
KenW
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
I have been using the Rick DeMan slotted front rotors for a long time, and they outlast the OEM rotors at least 3/1. I highly recommend them.
Me too. Wonder if he still has any?
Old 10-18-2018, 08:36 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

ATE, cheap and disposable, but heavy!
Old 10-18-2018, 09:46 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

I too run the Cayenne Sebro slotted.

Cheap like Borscht (actually, Kraut).

Made in Germany too which makes a difference to me
Old 10-18-2018, 10:48 PM
JB GT3 996
Instructor

xx
Old 10-18-2018, 10:51 PM
JB GT3 996
Instructor

Originally Posted by spiller

DBA do a single piece slotted rotor for Porsche Cayenne that fits our cars and is available locally for about $440 a pair. The stud holes require drilling out an extra 1mm. I have not tried them but they will probably outlast the OEM in a track setting due to not being cross drilled. Certainly a very cost effective option. I have run Brembo Type III two piece which are fantastic but at 1K per corner (not incl hats) you have to wonder whether they’re worth it in an amateur environment. I would say not.

FWIW lots of guys in the US have run $100 Porsche Cayenne rotors with good results. We don’t have them at our disposal in Aus however.
thanks for all of your fantastic advice! I’ve looked at the DBA 350mm ones for Cayenne and they also have a 2 part floating-rotor at good prices.
Any reason why you haven’t chosen to use these yourself?
When you say drilled out you mean the five attaching stud holes? Is this a complex job?

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors - best Bang for your bucks?