Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumped my GT3 manual for my new love

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 08:01 AM
2006m5
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

This is nuts..Rolex = trailer park trash.
i don't think trailer park trash can afford Rolex ...not saying bad for the people.
The other day I was looking at a Rolex (Pepsi) with jubilee bracelet and was close to 20k.
i was amazed how much Rolex cost...because Rolex produces thousands of watches yearly.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:08 AM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Gotta love RL, now the thread has turned to timepieces! For the record, non-Rolex watches aren’t trailer trash...LOL
Old 11-16-2018, 10:29 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Hey, I have a Dark Side of the Moon lol. And a GT3
I have a Grey Side of the Moon, and it's amazing. Goes great with my 5 Rolexes and my GT3, lol.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:50 AM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by iphilips
The GT R comes in 2 seconds faster than the 992.2 GT3 at Nürburgring (both on Sport Cup 2') - yes it's faster but, I wouldn't call it a killing But, I didn't mention track times and you didn't buy for track but, yes the GT R would be great for light for light drags and similar hooning.

But the Telsa would kill the GT R on a 0-60 .. just saying 2.9 vs 2.3 is a huge gap and if your goal is fast af between lights its a good fit.
If it's torque/power and light to light prowess you're after(and non electric) the 720S would be the car hands down. Obviously different price point though.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:30 AM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack
I also like a Rolex and intelligent women. Some like an Omega White Side Of The Moon and trailer trash- That ish is fun as hell, but not for me.
I know this going way off topic but I actually feel a new Rolex is more Mercedes than Porsche. Unless you are talking vintage Rolex and air cooled 911. Otherwise Porsche, especially GT cars, fit more with brands like AP.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:41 AM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
Curious, do you have the manual or PDK? Maybe I'm weird but I've had a tuned 997.1TT, a tuned 991.2 GTS, a Huracan, and the 991.2 GT3 feels really quick to me.
I have neither but I have driven the manual.

I suspect the manual puts a damper on things but perhaps it's just because these days everything has so much power and turbos.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:53 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
I know this going way off topic but I actually feel a new Rolex is more Mercedes than Porsche. Unless you are talking vintage Rolex and air cooled 911. Otherwise Porsche, especially GT cars, fit more with brands like AP.
I actually feel like Rolex/Porsche are very similar. They're ubiquitous, mass produced, bulletproof, classic designs that barely change, etc. Mercedes is more like IWC, designs change all the time, they're big and bold, and depreciate 50% right after you sign the dotted line.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:12 PM
Polarcharger
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"It been belted from 25kms on the clock . It free's up the engine. Car was too boring under 4000 revs."
"1 week of ownership was all it took on the GT3 I was so disappointed with the lack of torque that I skipped run in and just drive the wheels off it."

......And.....that's why you buy the owner and not the car when buying used....
Old 11-16-2018, 01:50 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006m5
This is nuts..Rolex = trailer park trash.
i don't think trailer park trash can afford Rolex ...not saying bad for the people.
The other day I was looking at a Rolex (Pepsi) with jubilee bracelet and was close to 20k.
i was amazed how much Rolex cost...because Rolex produces thousands of watches yearly.
Estimates peg Rolex at over 1MM watches / year. Crazy. IWC is less than 100k watches / year, Blancpain less than 10k. Rolex makes a nice watch but they crank those things out with minimal hand finishing so the gulf between the perception and reality of exclusivity is large. Kudos to Rolex marketing. Bet the Rolex and Porsche marketing teams hang out and place bets as to who can get the best ADMs....
Old 11-16-2018, 02:24 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,180 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Estimates peg Rolex at over 1MM watches / year. Crazy. IWC is less than 100k watches / year, Blancpain less than 10k. Rolex makes a nice watch but they crank those things out with minimal hand finishing so the gulf between the perception and reality of exclusivity is large. Kudos to Rolex marketing. Bet the Rolex and Porsche marketing teams hang out and place bets as to who can get the best ADMs....
ADM aside the mothership made almost $5B in profit last year. $153 profit per second.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:02 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I actually feel like Rolex/Porsche are very similar. They're ubiquitous, mass produced, bulletproof, classic designs that barely change, etc. Mercedes is more like IWC, designs change all the time, they're big and bold, and depreciate 50% right after you sign the dotted line.
I see your point. The way I see it is that Rolex is the watch most guys buy when they get a little money and don't really know what else to buy. That's not a knock on Rolex, it's just a fact. Rolex has spent a lot of marketing $$$ to be the mainstream luxury watch for those looking to spend 8k+. The other watch brands, like AP, are a bit more exclusive and you will usually be on your 3rd or 4th decent watch before you discover or consider them. That's sort of how I feel about GT cars. GT cars are driver's cars and are an acquired taste. Most people with 180k to spend on a toy don't immediately think of buying a GT3. They just see it as another 911. There is an education process with Porsche that I doesn't seem to exist with Mercedes.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:10 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

time for dogs
Old 11-16-2018, 03:27 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by iphilips
If your goal is to go from red light to red light on New South Head road as you cruise through Double Bay as quickly as you can then the GTR is the right car vs the GT3.

Why didn't you buy a Tesla? 800+ torque. 🤣

​​​​​​
Honestly if that’s all you think the GT R is useful for, you’re seriously misinformed.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:40 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman

Honestly if that’s all you think the GT R is useful for, you’re seriously misinformed.

C'mon... that's not what he's saying. He's saying that's all the OP seemingly wants in a car. And because of that, it's silly he bought a GT3 and was then dissatisfied with it. OP bought a GT3 because he thought it was going to be a monster super car he could FEEL like he was going fast in from light to light. But that's obviously not what a GT3 is for and most people understand that. And while the GTR is also not really for that kind of thing, it's better at it than a GT3. iphilips' suggestion of getting a Tesla is spot on though. Would be much better at giving OP a torque boner. AND... he could have that warm, fuzzy feeling of virtue signaling at the same time.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:12 PM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
C'mon... that's not what he's saying. He's saying that's all the OP seemingly wants in a car. And because of that, it's silly he bought a GT3 and was then dissatisfied with it. OP bought a GT3 because he thought it was going to be a monster super car he could FEEL like he was going fast in from light to light. But that's obviously not what a GT3 is for and most people understand that. And while the GTR is also not really for that kind of thing, it's better at it than a GT3. iphilips' suggestion of getting a Tesla is spot on though. Would be much better at giving OP a torque boner. AND... he could have that warm, fuzzy feeling of virtue signaling at the same time.

I read all these comments regards what I want . There is no reference from traffic lights. I am saying a GT3 is not a good car for the street and is really for a race track only. Otherwise it’s a total waste on the street unless you want to sound like a total **** 7500 revs 1st gear at speed limit everywhere.
My opinion is gearing is to long and lacks torque. Coming from a TT pdk the GT3 was a
complete different car and had no where near the street driveability
AMG GTR does it all andgreat fun designed for the track though an absolute hoot on the street . Until you drive / own one you shouldn’t really offer a negative comment as the vast majority ( pretty much everyone ) that own both cars much prefer the GTR on the street. And those who track them
go faster than in a GT3.
anyway I was just posting my thoughts on my experience for those who only reside in the P bubble could realise that there are better / different options
Thanks for all interest I learned some stuff about watches as well

Quick Reply: Dumped my GT3 manual for my new love