6MT GT3 or 3RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 11:13 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
I have both right now. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed in the 6 MT. I thought it would be a ton more engaging than I have experienced so far (1500 miles). I guess I just suck at manual shifting. The RS and PDK turn you into a superstar. For me, the PDK is plenty engaging and fun, road or track. Now that I have driven the 6 MT I can see why Andreas and the GT division chose the PDK for the .1 GT3. I totally get the manual shifting and working the clutch thing, but I'll go RS 8/10 IF I could only have one.
Originally Posted by Mech33

It’s not just you... I’ve onlybreiven manuals my whole life and the .2 GT3 6MT takes some work to drive smoothly. I find I just have to rev it out a bit more to make the next gear engagement smoother.

I think it’s a combination of the engine responsiveness and the light clutch... there is something with the throttle mapping and the lack of it slowing the RPM drop between shifts that makes it harder to drive smoothkygfor me just put putting around town.
I've said it before.

For a GT3/RS, the PDK is the perfect transmission.

A 6MT on the GT3/RS is a compromised setup.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:16 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

It’s not just you... I’ve onlybreiven manuals my whole life and the .2 GT3 6MT takes some work to drive smoothly. I find I just have to rev it out a bit more to make the next gear engagement smoother.

I think it’s a combination of the engine responsiveness and the light clutch... there is something with the throttle mapping and the lack of it slowing the RPM drop between shifts that makes it harder to drive smoothkygfor me just put putting around town.
I feel every car with MT is different. You got to drive the car and put miles on it. You will be surprised how your legs and muscles learn.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:23 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

For me, driving experience and for the track = Manual GT3. I may give up my RS allocation... I’ve always had an RS. The difference this time is very minor. I just really enjoy what I have right now.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:05 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
For me, driving experience and for the track = Manual GT3. I may give up my RS allocation... I’ve always had an RS. The difference this time is very minor. I just really enjoy what I have right now.
Its minor for the average Joe in lap times but as C.J. noted the RS felt immediately sharper and “fixed” and even on a greasier track in windier conditions and warmer air was .75 seconds faster and ...the 3mt was running 100 Oct in cooler air. Is that significantly faster? I think yes if you are talking multiple laps with same time difference. If you then factor in the difference is likely a second or more if the track is not “greasy” for the RS it gets more pronounced.

From an aesthetic standpoint Catchpole put it best. The RS makes the GT3 look shy and retiring. I guess it’s what look you like better.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:09 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

if you want to manual gearbox your car- you get the GT3 and you will not be sorry. no other cars out there really compare that offer manuals.

if you want to drive the future tech type stuff then the RS is a no brainer.

KY i'll take your RS, i have lots of clients for them!
Old 11-03-2018, 03:39 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I've said it before.

Was bored out of my mind driving my .1 GT3 PDK on the street, though... always a compromise.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:05 AM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
The obvious answer is keep both!
If that's not possible, I remember reading somewhere that an RS is an RS.
I'm with you!
I have an RS and pine for a MT GT3 for street use...if only I had made better career choices...
Old 11-03-2018, 05:13 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

I couldn’t decide

ordered both

i really enjoy rowing gears on the street thou...on the track not so much
Old 11-03-2018, 05:25 AM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

My choice is MT gt3.
As someone already stated, the road-legal cars are not racing cars. Once you drive 911 Cup car or even Cayman Cup with a proper racing team and a proper coach, you will realize immediately that there is no point in bringing you road-legal car to racetracks so often. As a result, I personally don’t see any sense to buy GT3RS but will rather enjoy the manual at street driving.

By the way I spent a lot of time this season with my GT3 Manual at racetracks and it drives just great if you know how to work with the stick. But I just ended up with going to Cayman cup for racing experience having done some test days and having done several endurance races. As a result, I installed the PCCB on the gt3 and left the steel brakes in the garage, which is a good indication that from that moment I will very rarely use this car on a racetrack.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:48 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
I have both right now. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed in the 6 MT. I thought it would be a ton more engaging than I have experienced so far (1500 miles). I guess I just suck at manual shifting. The RS and PDK turn you into a superstar. For me, the PDK is plenty engaging and fun, road or track. Now that I have driven the 6 MT I can see why Andreas and the GT division chose the PDK for the .1 GT3. I totally get the manual shifting and working the clutch thing, but I'll go RS 8/10 IF I could only have one.
The GT division chose PDK for the .1 GT3 because the MT wasn't READY YET for the .1.

And Andreas always chooses a MT for a GT3 every time....see here at 15:50 min

Old 11-03-2018, 05:53 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gago1101

I feel every car with MT is different. You got to drive the car and put miles on it. You will be surprised how your legs and muscles learn.
Totally agree...with 3500 miles on my MT GT3, I can shift it smooth as butter at any gear range. Not so much in the first 500 miles or so. The shifting method becomes innate...
Old 11-03-2018, 05:55 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Was bored out of my mind driving my .1 GT3 PDK on the street, though... always a compromise.
This ^ ^ ^

My .1 PDK. boring on the street
Old 11-03-2018, 05:57 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Waxer

Its minor for the average Joe in lap times but as C.J. noted the RS felt immediately sharper and “fixed” and even on a greasier track in windier conditions and warmer air was .75 seconds faster and ...the 3mt was running 100 Oct in cooler air. Is that significantly faster? I think yes if you are talking multiple laps with same time difference. If you then factor in the difference is likely a second or more if the track is not “greasy” for the RS it gets more pronounced.

From an aesthetic standpoint Catchpole put it best. The RS makes the GT3 look shy and retiring. I guess it’s what look you like better.

Yet Catchpole prefers the GT3 over the RS....
Old 11-03-2018, 05:59 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I've said it before.

One can say and say again that a fully-automated drivetrain with autonomous steering would be the "perfect" setup.

Faster isn't always better.

Catchpole at 3:00...

Old 11-03-2018, 09:37 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
Yet Catchpole prefers the GT3 over the RS....
Touche’ 👍

However, in the last 2 minutes he raves that RS was a wonderful car and sensational on the Ring and noted that’s where it belongs. Keeps you involved even at sub-Estre speeds.

He concludes with saying “those two little letters... “RS” ... still give you goosebumps”

So in the end there is no right answer here except for what’s “preferred” by each for what ever reason that may be.

Quick Reply: 6MT GT3 or 3RS