991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Regret

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018 | 05:08 PM
Apex-Monkey
Advanced

I love my manual even on the track but I must say the pdk's in these cars are unbelievable. I plan on continue driving my gt3 manual as a DD (short round trip from office home 7.2 miles) but I also plan on tracking the 3rs (6-8x year). Maybe at the end of the day I can decide which one i prefer but I honestly think both offer extraordinary joy. If I had to drive in heavy long traffic I don't think I could DD the manual but currently 5300+ miles on the car and several track weekends I can say it has consistently put a smile on my face.
Old 10-22-2018 | 05:13 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

I had a 2015 GT3 PDK-S, and now a 2018 GT3 6 sp manual. They are both great, IMO. I was tired of the PDK when tooling around town and in the canyons. "I" needed more to do when not driving on the track. It is a combination of being part of the machine, along with hearing the noise of the flat 6, that truly makes driving special for me. I think the manual shifting with the "flat shift" is as smooth as my PDK was BTW. The manual is by far more engaging, and the best answer would probably be to have one of each!
Old 10-22-2018 | 06:10 PM
shamoo
Instructor

No regret at all. I've wanted a PDK/DCT transmission ever since I had my E92 M3. It was a manual, but once I experienced the DCT of the BMW back then, it changed my whole outlook on life lols. It wasn't until many years later that I was able to purchase the GT3 PDK.

Do I miss having a manual? Of course, all the time. But I can satisfy that itch with even a "basic" car with a manual transmission (might get a Subaru or something). With my GT3, I wanted something fast. And every time I hear a fast upshift/downshift, I'm happy I chose the PDK.

Value wise, do I wish the value of my 991.2 GT3 goes up/remains high? Of course. Everyone would. But I was not going to purchase a manual (speculation here) just for it to maybe happen. There are definitely those who bought manuals just for value alone. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-22-2018 | 06:36 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by mooty
^ yep
if you can drive manual well, you will also love pdk
if you cannot drive manual well, you think PDK robs your of your INVOLVEMENT.
here is how PDK can be involving. if you down shift from 5th the 2nd to make a turn, go deeper another 200' then down shift. if that's not involving , wait 300' then downshift and turn. in PDK, you s**t on your seat. in manual you s**t in ER. I think both are involving as I have sh*tted both places.
Old 10-22-2018 | 06:45 PM
robmypro
Race Director

If you own a mt the mt is best. If you own a pdk, the pdk is best. This isn’t complicated.
Old 10-22-2018 | 06:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

When I owned both, I found that whichever transmission was in that car I was driving was the bestest, most awesomist transmission ever. Then I'd get in the other car and I'd swear that it was the bestest most awesomest transmission ever.
Old 10-22-2018 | 07:45 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

I drove a '16 RS and a Turbo back to back, and then a '15(?) GT3 and a '17 GTS back to back. It became clear to me very quickly that I preferred the PDK at any pace I found exciting. The manual is really a great option for those who are super nostalgic, scared of change, or really and truly love the experience of shifting above all else. If you want to concentrate of driving, the PDK is far superior. It just is- don't talk smack unless you have driven them both in anger. And don't come at me with your C2S PDK stories- that ain't the same.

I love a manual car, and am looking to get a manual 911 as a second car for tooling around town, but if I was forced to pick one, I'd stick w the PDK any day. No disrespect to the heel/toe heroes- that ish is super fun, I get it.
Old 10-22-2018 | 08:14 PM
Houston GT3
Rennlist Member

None. I'm really happy with it for all the reasons I anticipated. The drives back & forth to Austin so much easier, stop light traffic etc. And I think it's going to be a blast flying thru the gears on the track. Couple that with the three transmissions I went thru on the GT4 plus bad over revs & I'm sure it was the best decision for me. And there are plenty of manuals out there if I get the itch.
Old 10-22-2018 | 08:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3

This sh*t is pretty meta.
I see what you did here!!!

Originally Posted by reacher
If you drive it in auto mode it's no surprise you're not a fan, the 991.1 auto programming is abysmal. The 991.2 is worlds better, but I still never drive it in auto mode. It's boring even when the programming is good, driving the PDK in manual mode is much more engaging.

To be honest, I'm not sure why anyone would drive a sports car in auto mode regularly. Maybe if you're drinking a coffee, but for anything else it seems like a waste.
I hear you.
but the Rennlisters are all good descent drivers.
my other friends who insist on manual... 1) can't heel and toe 2) insist heel and toe every shift. you only do that when absolute necessarily, the less you do the faster you go 3) they blip way before or way after the shift is done and mostly blip in the garage. 4) they miss shifts often... you know like money shift and have range 1-5 while some of us track over a decade with no over rev in range 1... 5) they try left foot brake, I am passenger, hot into corner, hit clutch (he thinks it's brake)... I fkg s**t on his seat almost killed me.. but hey, it was really involving for him. actually it was involving to me as well, sphincter never so tight in my entire life 3 second before we ended on the Bottom of little cliff.... it was very involving for all involved.. even the CHP

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It does if it's a discussion of whether a PDK or a manual holds its value more.
u are GOOD.
I concede.
YOU should host late night show. Fallon has nothing on you.

I agree with another reenlister above, when I am actually driving, whatever gearbox it has, I am having fun. it's way better than sitting in the office screaming at my staff. my staff loves it when I go driving as well, then no one screams at them all day long hahah, win win.

Old 10-22-2018 | 09:44 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Here’s what people never comment on when discussing these modern 6MTs...the damn gear ratios! In order to balance the torque delivery requirement of these increasingly powerful modern engines and deliver the peak/top acceleration, gear ratios have been getting longer. Technological, the modern 6MT is an engineering marvel but how much fun is a MT when you can hit 80mph in 2nd gear and 115mph in 3rd? I rode in my buddy’s 991.2 GT3 MT and he didn’t (couldn’t) get out of 3rd gear around town. I think people remember or have visions of older MTs with shorter gear ratios that were truly engaging and involving as those transmissions were really usable and could be wrung out. IMO today’s high torque, high horsepower, uber-powerful engines don’t lend themselves as well to manual transmissions. When I’m ready for a manual Porsche 911, I’ll be looking at older models... Dare I say it, in today’s powerful Porsches, a manual transmission is a compromise.
The following users liked this post:
typehxr1 (12-30-2021)
Old 10-22-2018 | 09:53 PM
Brosef
Racer

no regrets with PDK. I found it much more exciting to drive on street and definitely on track - it really fits the persona of the GT3 perfectly, IMO.
Old 10-22-2018 | 10:14 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Akunob
Here’s what people never comment on when discussing these modern 6MTs...the damn gear ratios! In order to balance the torque delivery requirement of these increasingly powerful modern engines and deliver the peak/top acceleration, gear ratios have been getting longer. Technological, the modern 6MT is an engineering marvel but how much fun is a MT when you can hit 80mph in 2nd gear and 115mph in 3rd? I rode in my buddy’s 991.2 GT3 MT and he didn’t (couldn’t) get out of 3rd gear around town. I think people remember or have visions of older MTs with shorter gear ratios that were truly engaging and involving as those transmissions were really usable and could be wrung out. IMO today’s high torque, high horsepower, uber-powerful engines don’t lend themselves as well to manual transmissions. When I’m ready for a manual Porsche 911, I’ll be looking at older models... Dare I say it, in today’s powerful Porsches, a manual transmission is a compromise.
^ Unless, that is...it has a 7MT, which happens to shift nearly as well as my old GT4's 6MT did.

Good point above, and part of what I didn't like much about my GT4, which may as well have had a shift **** that said 2-3-4-5-5-5. Now add another 1200 rpm to play with...
Old 10-22-2018 | 11:16 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
but hey, it was really involving for him. actually it was involving to me as well, sphincter never so tight in my entire life 3 second before we ended on the Bottom of little cliff.... it was very involving for all involved.. even the CHP
This may be the funniest thing I've read in years! I openly laughed! Next time I'll let my 10 year old nephew drive me in a BRZ I won't need another Porsche........just a bus pass

Old 10-23-2018 | 12:13 AM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Tough room....
Old 10-23-2018 | 12:26 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Not an owner of GT3(RS) or R but drove both the PDK and MT models when making the decision on the C4S that is currently in gestation (delivery on the first of the new year).

I'm old in school and age so always associated MT with high performance vehicles. I remember, more than a few years ago, two of the leading car mags always praising the MTs and deriding ATs at every opportunity.

There's no doubt that current ATs are faster than MTs, though I've seen videos of sequential shifters installed in older Porsches that seem as quick as PDKs.

I see the point of PDK for competition particularly for the GT3s that track, no doubt it's effective, for me, I won't be pushing hard on a track, I'll leave that to the younger set. I selected a MT for the enjoyment of it and to recapture the feeling of rowing through the gears as I did in years past.

Be happy!

Last edited by BSO; 10-23-2018 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply: PDK Regret