Sponsored by:

ClearPlex Window Film Protection - Dealer Recommendation Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 08:00 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts
Default ClearPlex Window Film Protection - Dealer Recommendation Needed

The PPF shop in my area used to get ClearPlex (Madico) film directly from ClearPlex no problem but the dealer they were directed to this time has been dragging its feet. Can any of you recommend a ClearPlex dealer that can cut and ship a 991.2 GT3 windshield film for my local PPF shop to install? If so, it would be much appreciated!
Old 10-09-2018, 01:55 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
The PPF shop in my area used to get ClearPlex (Madico) film directly from ClearPlex no problem but the dealer they were directed to this time has been dragging its feet. Can any of you recommend a ClearPlex dealer that can cut and ship a 991.2 GT3 windshield film for my local PPF shop to install? If so, it would be much appreciated!
http://www.glisteningperfection.com/
Old 10-09-2018, 01:57 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,881 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Friends don't let friends use ClearPlex.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:19 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

This is what I've moved to... Good luck getting Clearplex.

http://www.braygroup.com/3d-windshie...-of-porsche-gt

All my cars have either Clearplex or Bray. Have saved my windshields on more than one occasion. You will eventually lose some clarity (my poor installation and damage due to rocks / track debris), but it's a trade off that is worth it to me.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:31 PM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Friends don't let friends use ClearPlex.
Why?

Originally Posted by awew911
This is what I've moved to... Good luck getting Clearplex.

http://www.braygroup.com/3d-windshie...-of-porsche-gt

All my cars have either Clearplex or Bray. Have saved my windshields on more than one occasion. You will eventually lose some clarity (my poor installation and damage due to rocks / track debris), but it's a trade off that is worth it to me.
Thank you very much!
Old 10-09-2018, 01:52 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So I looked at the Bray website and see that they ask $900 for a 2-layer kit that I assume doesn't include installation and I ask myself "why?"

I just went through the experience of big rock hits and damage that wouldn't have been prevented with any type of film. Learned that replacement cost for OEM Pilkington windshield, same as originally on the car, same as on cars in the showroom, costs $540 for the glass, $171 for labor. With tax was out the door with good as new windshield for $754.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:12 PM
no401k
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DoxCroc
So I looked at the Bray website and see that they ask $900 for a 2-layer kit that I assume doesn't include installation and I ask myself "why?"

I just went through the experience of big rock hits and damage that wouldn't have been prevented with any type of film. Learned that replacement cost for OEM Pilkington windshield, same as originally on the car, same as on cars in the showroom, costs $540 for the glass, $171 for labor. With tax was out the door with good as new windshield for $754.
or better yet, just pay $500 for insurance replacement
Old 10-09-2018, 04:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,743 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Can you notice any creaks or rattles with the new glass installed? Good as new?
Old 10-09-2018, 07:23 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For more detail:
I got a replacement here in Wisconsin by Safelite. Pilkington glass, no problems, good fit, no rattles. Those are the numbers I quoted above. My insurance has "platinum" glass coverage so no deductible for me.

Then drove cross country, track weekend in WA state. Driving down the CA redwood coast, rock from an oncoming logging truck leaped over the divided highway and big spider crack in my drivers view. So 5 weeks after the first replacement I need it done again. Based on my previous experience, no worries, it'll be fixed. Live and learn, SoCal Safelite used an inferior brand "Fuyao?" (chinese?) The fit was unacceptable. Could see and touch the metal antenna connections between the A-pillar trim and the glass. I told them that I couldn't accept that and needed the Pilkington glass. Brought it back after a week and a half (and after Rennsport Reunion) and they redid it with the right glass and all is well with the world again. No charge, no paperwork for the re-do. I guess that they stand by their "satisfaction guarantee."

Take home lesson: make sure to specify the original equipment glass. Right now it says Pilkington on the newer cars I checked at Rennsport and at dealers. Older cars had other brands. Living with the "Fuyao" for a week I could see that the embedded wires were thicker, wavy, and more noticeable, (and the fit sucked) and it was only $106 less on the invoice.

Can't drive it in Wisconsin in the winter so leaving it in SoCal with family so that I can drive at Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow, and Willow Springs this winter.

Mike
Old 10-09-2018, 11:57 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

I did the single layer Bray, which is similar to Clearplex, for $299. I installed it myself, far from perfect, but good enough. Has saved me a number of times at Sebring and cruising down 95. I haven't tried the 2-layer kit.

I used to do Clearplex until it became absolutely impossible to get an order filled. Would take months.

Quick Reply: ClearPlex Window Film Protection - Dealer Recommendation Needed