Sponsored by:

Porsche... Pay attention to this

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 09:26 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

The short answer is no as DOT and NHTSA do not issue such certificates to used vehicles. Query whether one shipped to Germany (or some other country) has TUV or equivalent approval so too with MOT in the UK. Presumably singers have passed various state safety inspections as well.

As far as CARB emissions, I do believe that the more pedestrian motors in singers have CARB approval (presumably to year of manufacture standards), but someone more knowledgeable than me would have to confirm.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:34 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Just wish Porsche would make their own widebody, longhood throwback car with modern technology. They couldn't sell 992 of them?? I post this all the time and no one ever agrees with me or responds. Hard to imagine it's that stupid of an idea, but maybe so...
Old 08-27-2018, 09:35 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Pay attention to what?
Yeah, can somebody elaborate what Porsche has to pay attention too? Last time I checked, they were selling every single 911 they made with no issues.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:43 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Not "sniping" but asking a perfectly fair and legitimate question, the same question I would ask of any other car. As to being an "old" car, the engine is new, the transmission is new, the interior is new (though the original U.S. 964s had airbags and the Singer does not appear to have them), the suspension is new, the gas tank is new, the body panels are new, etc. Could that mean that a Singer must conform with new regulations? I do not know the answer. Does anyone?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:54 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I have a lot of experience in this regard from defenders.

The short answer is it depends on state law, but, in general, you can replace anything you want, especially with new (not used) parts. At some point the feds might take the position it is a newly manufactured vehicle. In the UK they have a points system.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:11 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 779 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Not "sniping" but asking a perfectly fair and legitimate question, the same question I would ask of any other car. As to being an "old" car, the engine is new, the transmission is new, the interior is new (though the original U.S. 964s had airbags and the Singer does not appear to have them), the suspension is new, the gas tank is new, the body panels are new, etc. Could that mean that a Singer must conform with new regulations? I do not know the answer. Does anyone?

I dunno but fair point - they are playing by two different sets of rules. The 911R is the embodiment of of Porsche's version of the Singer/Williams collaboration in my mind. Obviously the R was hugely successful and many go on and on how special it is even though the .2 GT3 is perhaps more advanced on paper. This is precisely what we can hope continues from Porsche as their cars continue to get more and more technologically advanced. The R retained the rawness which was somewhat reduced in the .2 GT3. As we move towards hybrids etc this will be a bigger challenge for Porsche ie keeping the experience even though the performance will no doubt continue to advance.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by texascarlover
I dunno but fair point - they are playing by two different sets of rules. The 911R is the embodiment of of Porsche's version of the Singer/Williams collaboration in my mind. Obviously the R was hugely successful and many go on and on how special it is even though the .2 GT3 is perhaps more advanced on paper. This is precisely what we can hope continues from Porsche as their cars continue to get more and more technologically advanced. The R retained the rawness which was somewhat reduced in the .2 GT3. As we move towards hybrids etc this will be a bigger challenge for Porsche ie keeping the experience even though the performance will no doubt continue to advance.
I think the R is an awesome car. I don't at all think it's Porsche's version of a Williams/Singer collaboration. They are different companies with very different objectives, products, etc.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:31 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Perhaps a better way to frame my question is this: "If you go in a ride with your friend (a young doctor in the prime of his/her life) in your new $1.8 million Singer with its air bags removed, do not tell your friend that the air bags have been removed (normally no one would start a ride in the country with saying "beware of driving with me as I/Singer have removed the airbags), let alone have her/him sign a waiver, have an accident such as hitting another car in which your friend dies, which accident is clearly proven to be your fault, and it is proven that if you/Singer had not removed the airbags (will not even discuss all of the hard surfaces in the interior of the new Singer [i.e., e.g., possible head impact]) your friend would have lived, will your insurance company cover you and how will a jury react when your (now dead) friend's family sues you (clearly you have deep pockets as you paid $1.8 million for the car) and it is clear that you/Singer have knowingly and willingly removed the airbags and have not subjected the car to appropriate (as defined by plaintiff's counsel) safety tests (regardless of whether or not the law requires it), particularly in light of and given the removal of the air bags and the redesign of the interior?"
Old 08-27-2018, 10:39 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

P.S. Add to the above scenario that you happen to be in a jurisdiction that is especially friendly to plaintiffs and that you had a few drinks before the accident.

In short, regardless of what is strictly required under law or statute, if I were Singer and Williams (with deeper pockets) I would want to make sure that my own liability insurance is adequate. And hope that the jury does not look at "jury nullification" of any potential help to the defense after plaintiff's counsel plays the videos of Singer et al describing how this is the "greatest Porsche ever'.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:12 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Pay attention to what?
My thought as well.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:33 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts

Looks like Robert tried getting Singer to use his designed engines but the discussions did not go anywhere.

Post #6

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ed-engine.html

and he has been anti-Singer ever since!
Old 08-27-2018, 11:41 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Completely untrue not to mention that the engine on which we are working is only in the first stage of being built and was never intended for Singer. And, this has nothing to do with the scenario I described above.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:47 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts

In the past Robert has posted about Alternatives to Singer:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...er-restos.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...op-5001-a.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ternative.html

Robert does Workshop 5001,Kaege or Lightspeed-classic have any written evidence from DOT, NHSTA, CARB, etc. that they have passed any of the safety and/or pollution tests
Old 08-27-2018, 11:50 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

And saying that the engine, if it works, would fit a Singer is true of all air cooled 911s and that I would be happy to supply them is something I would say to anyone, but, in fact, if was never offered to Singer nor did they ever ask. Further, I am sure that you would find fault me if I stated I would not supply engines to anyone. And, again, this has nothing to do with safety and I would have nothing to say on the matter if someone would have a definitive answer about testing and results which are exactly the same questions I would ask about any car.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:58 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Of course I would ask the same questions about them but they do not seem to be a source of interest on Rennlist. Nor do I have any business connection with any of them or Singer. I simply thought that as people appear to be interested in restomods, I would point out others (as others have done too). No different than talking about McLaren, Ferrari, etc. on this forum. But while all of this is interesting, there still is no definitive answer to the compliance of Singer with any laws, rules, statutes or regulations, including, but not limited to, U.S. Federal and State. And no amount of blowing smoke at me is going to change this.

Quick Reply: Porsche... Pay attention to this