Rolex vs Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 10:50 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Gh0st0

I will agree on that, we have both. Deere is all about that capital and lacking functionality

I should clarify and say pre-MTD era cub cadet, or at least IH designed cubs as they kept building the quiet line for a few years after MTD bought it.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:54 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 337 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Obturate
Quite a few Rolex 116500LN(s) available from non-Rolex dealers with the plastic in place. Check out Chrono24 online.
Curious if these watches are gray market or if they were released prior to Rolex's mandate (or this could be just my AD following orders more diligently).
Old 08-25-2018, 03:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,026 Likes on 5,240 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Curious if these watches are gray market or if they were released prior to Rolex's mandate (or this could be just my AD following orders more diligently).
Of course they’re gray market.

But it shouldn’t matter as long as it comes with all boxes and papers, especially if the warranty card is still open.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:23 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Yes and plenty of very reputable gray dealers. They get the watches directly from the dealers. Only difference is the warranty card won’t have your name but warranty is still good.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:28 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt

Yes and plenty of very reputable gray dealers. They get the watches directly from the dealers. Only difference is the warranty card won’t have your name but warranty is still good.
You can have grey dealer fill your name into warranty card. Its directly from AD but at heavily discounted price. (Only for less popular watches like datejust and etc)
Old 08-25-2018, 05:57 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend

You can have grey dealer fill your name into warranty card. Its directly from AD but at heavily discounted price. (Only for less popular watches like datejust and etc)
Yes, in order to maintain the Rolex “AD” status they have to meet quota every month, so they move inventory to grey market dealers.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:47 PM
adamroberson
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course Rolex
Old 06-02-2020, 10:21 PM
josephvman
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Wow, you've seriously lost your freaking mind if you think Rolex knows how to control their distribution! I just checked Chrono24 and there are 451 BNIB 116500's (SS Ceramic Daytona) for sale right now. The picture below was on my Instagram feed a couple of days ago. If you try to buy this piece at your local Rolex dealer they're probably going to tell you the waiting list is 5 years. I've been buying these watches for a long time and get first crack at most anything I want (and got an early 116500 at MSRP) but Rolex is possibly the worst example on the face of planet earth I can point to as a brand who has control of their distribution or dealer network. Every single one of those green Subs in the Instagram pic has one thing in common, and that's that they all came from an authorized Rolex dealer. I have huge respect for the product and have Rolex's from every decade since the 60's. When most dealers have a safe full of watches while they tell customers they're impossible to get, and there are literally hundreds of brand-new ones for sale on the grey market for 2x MSRP, they have lost control of their distribution. The BS has sort of ruined it for me, not because I can't get the watches I want, which I can, but because it has nothing to do with love for watches, and they've just become Instagram trophies for a lot of dicks, just like cars, great guitars....etc.

The following 2 users liked this post by josephvman:
goin2drt (06-05-2020), merc5326 (06-03-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 10:34 PM
josephvman
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

One business is under very strict governance by individual state automobile dealer franchise laws that can vary wildly by state and has to be accountable to one of the most powerful trade associations (Lobby) in existence that has virtually unlimited legal resources to protect the dealer's rights. The reason why Tesla can't sell cars directly in most states is because of the National Automobile Dealers Association. To compare the franchised car business to selling watches is a foolish apples-to-oranges argument.

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
One is in control of dealer sales practices. One is not. At least this is the case in the US.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:58 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by josephvman
One business is under very strict governance by individual state automobile dealer franchise laws that can vary wildly by state and has to be accountable to one of the most powerful trade associations (Lobby) in existence that has virtually unlimited legal resources to protect the dealer's rights. The reason why Tesla can't sell cars directly in most states is because of the National Automobile Dealers Association. To compare the franchised car business to selling watches is a foolish apples-to-oranges argument.
Most states can in fact sell Teslas direct to the customers; I believe there are ~5 states that cannot. And it’s the auto associations of each state that primarily lobby for favorable franchise laws, not NADA.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:38 AM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Tpup

That’s not been my experience. Steel Daytona’s are available if you want to pay a huge markup. Retail there’s a 1-2 year wait. It’s been that way for years so whatever they are doing is not working.
Agree that Rolex is or was suffering from the same flawed distribution model - HOW? Rolex (as well as Patek, etc.) dealers swap "new" inventory with each other all the time so they can sell a used (*really new) pieces with a huge mark-up and thus break the MSRP/UMAP (unilateral minimum advertised price) policy with little or no retribution.

Trying buying, though things may have changed, any new Rolex or Patek at MSRP. If you have done business with a jeweler for years, just like Porsche, you likely can access fine watches at MSRP. Sadly, greed and flipping "trickery" can be found in the watch industry.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:01 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F1tifosi
Agree that Rolex is or was suffering from the same flawed distribution model - HOW? Rolex (as well as Patek, etc.) dealers swap "new" inventory with each other all the time so they can sell a used (*really new) pieces with a huge mark-up and thus break the MSRP/UMAP (unilateral minimum advertised price) policy with little or no retribution.

Trying buying, though things may have changed, any new Rolex or Patek at MSRP. If you have done business with a jeweler for years, just like Porsche, you likely can access fine watches at MSRP. Sadly, greed and flipping "trickery" can be found in the watch industry.
Authorized Dealers may swap, or more accurately make wholesale trades between them but that doesn’t make the watch “used,” permitting them to mark it up. Perhaps you’re describing an AD selling to a non-AD, which then lists on Chrono24? In this case the AD would have to put a name on the warranty card - whose name?
Old 06-03-2020, 11:14 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by F1tifosi

AD's may swap but the watch doesn't become used....they sell out the back door to the grey dealers. Period. In return the grey's take the tough to sell watches of their hands as well....all around a bad system for the consumer but it will not change.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:50 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
The problem here isn't CAPITALISM - it's REGULATION that means dealers have an ARTIFICIAL MONOPOLY on the sale of all cars to consumers. If it was really capitalism, the manufacturers would be able to adopt whatever model they choose, like Tesla trying and failing to sell directly to the customer.
I agree with both of you. You can't tell someone how much to charge for their property. That's anti-competitive and price-fixing. At the same time, I believe vehicle manufacturers should be able to sell cars direct if they want, just like Rolex can sell direct through their factory-owned stores.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:03 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by rob944s2
I agree with both of you. You can't tell someone how much to charge for their property. That's anti-competitive and price-fixing. At the same time, I believe vehicle manufacturers should be able to sell cars direct if they want, just like Rolex can sell direct through their factory-owned stores.
Rolex Boutique stores are privately owned stores, not corporate owned....for example the Rolex Boutique store in at the Shops at Crystals is owned by LV Luxury....

Quick Reply: Rolex vs Porsche