Sponsored by:

Trade my TTS for gt3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 01:45 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
That's more the result of tires than the cars themselves.
I can’t speak for others, but on the same tires I was faster in a RS.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:44 AM
A/S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks

I also have had both.
The fact that your lap times are better in the TTS rather than the GT3 RS probably reflects your driving style and maybe the circuit you are driving. A professional driver will easily set faster lap times with a GT3 RS. Nürburgring time in a GT3 RS is 6:56 whereas a Turbo S is 7:17.
Both are great cars.
I agree that both require different driving styles, but on equal size/compound tires/wheel widths, the GT3RS and 991TTS comparison favors the 991TTS, as long as you setup the 991 TTS properly for tires/wheels (proper springs and bushings, less than $1000 on parts, cheaper than wraps/clear-bra/detailing/lipstick options). You can't throw sticky tires to a bone stock TTS and expect much better lap times, yes they will be better lap times than stock rubber but deeply compromised by dynamic camber/toe changes, bump stop riding, and extra drag and upforce from running the stock SUV ride height, this is all setup.

There is not much you can do to a GT3RS to make it faster on a racetrack, it cannot lose that much weight, it cannot gain that much power, and the stock suspension/brakes/aero work amazingly well.

The TTS has such a massive performance potential with little and affordable upgrade parts. My TTS is not stock, I don't run skinny 245/305 tires on it (Pzero or MPSC2 from a GT3), it runs 295/345 race rubber on much wider wheels (no body modifications), the suspension has been tuned for these tires. It also runs 80hp-140hp more than stock depending on which map I choose in the ByDesign maps list.

Porsche truly builds the TTS as a comfort sport car, soft springs, little camber, skinny wheels, skinny tires, barely any aero, and lots of unnecessary extra weight (like the nearly 60 lbs battery, and almost 50 lbs Bursmester stereo, and a penalty glass roof), but awesome brakes and low end power, this car is deeply compromised. It is a great car bone stock, and fun when on power. Little tuning tricks make the TTS massively more fun, sound, precision, handling, g-forces, it gains a lot. With the PDK-tune, I like the PDK more in my TTS than my RS, the stock PDK TTS tune is not to my taste (slow, almost Tesla like, no emotions, bland).

I don't drink the Nurburgring Kool-Aid, track conditions vary too much on such a vast landscape, and the track length separates cars by seconds when they are pretty close in performance. I look more at the Hockenheim and Laguna Seca times, as the track conditions don't vary as much as the Ring (plus the continuous Ring fixes/enhancements that make the track safer but also faster than years before). Then factor tires, the new Cup2-R is gaining 1-sec per minute compared to the new Cup2-N2, and the N2 is already faster than the N1 and N0. Then there is the misleading tire sizes, I have a picture of 285/335 on 10"/12" wheels stock MPSC-2 from my C7Z06 next to the 265/325 in the GT3RS, pretty much same height for the 2 stacks. The GT3RS 265 is as wide as a 285 Hoosier, and the 325 stock GT3 RS tire is wider than a 345 Hoosier.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:41 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

We can convince ourselves of anything...

I went from '14 TT to a '17 TTS to an '18 GT3T.... Zero regrets where I'm at now, other than the $$ burned confirming turbos just don't do it for me.
Maybe later in life I'll revisit to better appreciate the finer qualities Turbos offer, but until then.... I still have the Turbo T-shirts and my NA GT3 scratches all the itches!
Old 08-12-2018, 10:29 AM
SD911
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good input and exactly why I kept my TTS and have both! Completely different driving experiences that are both a lot of fun in their own right. If the biggest decision you make when you walk out into your garage is which one to drive today, life ain’t bad!
Old 08-12-2018, 10:41 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I'll provide an alternative opinion. I like TTS better than GT3 for daily duties, granted it's a .2 TTS vs .1 GT3 comparison in my case. I'd only give up TTS for GT3 if TTS was my track car or garage queen - GT3 is better at both. But otherwise, TTS is better for a daily. I dailied GT3 for 2 years and then TTS for 7 months.
+1
Old 08-12-2018, 01:27 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,373 Likes on 635 Posts

We have to take a Kilo of Salt* to any numbers laid down by CupR tires.

If you put proper tires on a TT-S it will be just fine on track. Same with GTS for that matter.

We had someone trade in a manual GT3 against a TT-S because he's not a hardcore track guy, wants the car for long drives etc.
GT3 + LWB vs TTS and 18Way not comparable for comfort.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:58 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

no doubt, if I were driving more on road than track, TT-S all day long. Swap the exhaust out for something more aggressive when you want it to be and good to go. But, if tracking much at all, I'd rather have the gt3 variants all day long.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:25 PM
Larryh1
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be trading my 2016 TTS for my GT3T WHEN it comes in next month
Old 08-12-2018, 10:07 PM
GTSBoneDoc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know this doesn't solve the dilemma but both if possible.
Both the TTS and the GT3 are incredible cars yet very different even though they share a basic shape and interior.

If I had to chose one, it would be the GT3 over the TTS as it feels more special, whatever that means. I just feel more engaged, enjoy the sound and the more raw experience.

As a daily car, as many have stated, the Turbo is far superior however. It is, in my opinion, the very best daily driver that is not an SUV on the market. It's reliable. beautiful but not over the top, extremely fast, very comfortable and AWD, so good to go rain or shine or snow.

Either way, both cars are superb and there is no losing.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:47 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Every TTS I have seen is larded with heavy weight options. For example, I have never seen one without a sunroof and with 4 way sport plus seats. If you specced one lightweight (4 ways, slicktop, no real added weight options) and added the CF wheels and cup2s, maybe do a rear seat delete, it would be pretty nice.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:39 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 569 Posts

Check your messages for my reply......having both is really the way to go, but in the end the TTS is the more versatile car with better low end torque for daily driving in my opinion.........
Old 09-08-2018, 04:49 AM
Jaredtown
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was also contemplating this - having never driven a Turbo before... so went down to the dealer in my .1RS, drove one of their .1 TTS they had on the lot... was impressed by how "comfy" it was. About 2 minutes into the drive though, I couldn't help but feel something was missing from the overall feel of the car - sure it was crazy powerful - but some element was just missing. The TTS felt very fast but you def notice the weight and "softness" compared to the GT Cars...

To solve this dilema I ended up getting a Guards Red Carrera T (which is billed as the poor man's GT car) to be my daily driver...

Quick Reply: Trade my TTS for gt3?