Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: You don’t see this everyday...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 10:13 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

What this shows me is people too high to care to get any where in a hurry.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:40 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
It's Colorado. No one is in a hurry. Half those cars are on their way to go hiking or drink an IPA. Or both.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:43 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
You might be on to something. lol
Old 08-02-2018, 12:24 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

In LA - both lanes would be full.. The slow clueless guys would be in the left lane and the fast guys would be weaving in and out. Very little etiquette - its every man for themselves.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Ugh, I know how you feel, we lived in Tennessee where the late merge was considered very rude! Traffic would back up for miles like your picture all the time.

NPR had an article about the Zipper merge- it's counter intuitive but the Zipper merger (waiting to merge over until the last minute) helps traffic flow more freely and benefits everyone, including those in the lane that people you are merging into. Basically it increases the capacity of the highway.

I take this information as a 'hall pass' to do the Zipper merge as often as possible. I know it seems anti-social and Tennessee 'rude', but that is just for the unenlightened and I do it now all the time, LOL.
Having lived in Manhattan then New Jersey for over a decade, I happen to agree that the "zipper merge" makes more sense. Closed lanes were a frequent occurrence. For efficiency, both lanes fill up, up to the point of obstruction, then it is courtesy alternate merge to the one lane. So long as EVERYONE on the road agree, and most do in those places I lived. Now in Ohio, it is completely convoluted. People who are unaware of the closed lane and are suddenly confronted with it panic and can't quite decide what to do. Good news is, most drivers are courteous enough and will let them cut in if it's still a distance from the blockage. Contrast that to the same drivers but now right at the blockage. Then it's war!! LOL

Quick Reply: OT: You don’t see this everyday...