Sponsored by:

OT: You don’t see this everyday...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 11:51 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Georgia is the same way. I see it everyday right here in front of our business. People get mad and irate about others using the zipper merge just so they can get to the red light 1/4-mile up ahead one car quicker. It is crazy.
Yeah late merge definitely upsets some people. Life is too short for BS like road rage.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
So I'm supposed to merge late?
Yes! As you see the “lane closed ahead” sign and traffic backing up, stay in your current lane up to the point of merge. Then take turns with other drivers to safely and smoothly ease into the remaining lane.

Benefits
Reduces differences in speeds between two lanes
Reduces the overall length of traffic backup by as much as 40 percent
Reduces congestion on freeway interchanges
Source:https://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/
This is absolutely the best and fastest way and makes the most sense.
The problem is, most people are too stupid to realize this and won't let others merge. THEY are the problem children, not those who follow the correct procedure. Of course, if we got all the stupid people off the roads, traffic wouldn't be an issue anywhere!
Old 08-01-2018, 12:24 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

I would buy a lottery ticket if I ever saw this happen in California, where there is apparently a "no prisoners, no mercy" when driving I am learning

Originally Posted by robmypro
In Hawaii the freeway lanes adjust, so that when you are driving into Honolulu in the morning it is like 3 lanes in and one lane out. Coming home it is the reverse. Pretty amazing to watch in action. But I don't think it happens quick enough for most accidents.
I am happy that the city and county of Honolulu does this for traffic, but it has never been in place for accidents in my experience
Old 08-01-2018, 12:28 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I would buy a lottery ticket if I ever saw this happen in California, where there is apparently a "no prisoners, no mercy" when driving I am learning

I am happy that the city and county of Honolulu does this for traffic, but it has never been in place for accidents in my experience
Definitely buy a lottery ticket if this ever happened in California! lol
Old 08-01-2018, 12:38 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
This is absolutely the best and fastest way and makes the most sense.
The problem is, most people are too stupid to realize this and won't let others merge. THEY are the problem children, not those who follow the correct procedure. Of course, if we got all the stupid people off the roads, traffic wouldn't be an issue anywhere!
There's theory...and then there's reality. Just like the Autobahn. Great concept in theory. But it wouldn't work in just about any country except Germany. In the case of the late merge, it only makes sense if you ignore all other factors and only focus on theoretical speed improvements. You must ignore the benefit of emergency responders getting to the scene faster. And you must ignore the road rage element. When you factor in all of these things, I think the way Colorado drivers react to these things is the better approach. It might take a little longer for you to get where you are going, but it is far more considerate of the people who are involved in the accident. And that is far more important than getting somewhere a little quicker imo.

I just think the fact that this can even be pulled off by this many drivers is in itself sort of amazing.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:49 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 761 Likes on 554 Posts

If you drive a van or SUV, you can merge in late without too many issues, especially if you thank the person who you cut in on, but with a 911 or anything else seen as a more expensive or a sporty car, you will get some evil stares and people aggressively blocking you - especially F-150s for example.........in Atlanta......we seem to merge in one after the other alternating cars in tight quarters on non-highways and on highways everyone generally moves to the left.........after living in NYC, DC area, Chicago and LA........I could not believe it, but wrote it off to Southern Hospitality...........truthfully.........for me depending on my schedule, I will stay left and not Zipper merge on highways, especially in my Porsches..........on surface roads anything generally goes for me based on other driver's antics, but I use the unwritten "alternating car merge rule" in those non-highway situations.........
Old 08-01-2018, 01:47 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by abiazis
If you drive a van or SUV, you can merge in late without too many issues, especially if you thank the person who you cut in on, but with a 911 or anything else seen as a more expensive or a sporty car, you will get some evil stares and people aggressively blocking you - especially F-150s for example.........in Atlanta......we seem to merge in one after the other alternating cars in tight quarters on non-highways and on highways everyone generally moves to the left.........after living in NYC, DC area, Chicago and LA........I could not believe it, but wrote it off to Southern Hospitality...........truthfully.........for me depending on my schedule, I will stay left and not Zipper merge on highways, especially in my Porsches..........on surface roads anything generally goes for me based on other driver's antics, but I use the unwritten "alternating car merge rule" in those non-highway situations.........
I think you are right about Southern Hospitality, and it exists even in places like Colorado. It is just an attitude. When we lived in Southern California it was normal to be checking out at the grocery store, and the cashier would not even say a word. In Colorado you can barely get out of the store because the cashier or the bagger wants to chat about anything and everything. I remember thinking what is wrong with these people when we first moved here. lol

When driving my GT3 I mostly see people backing off to let me in, as opposed to trying to block me. Not everyone, but that seems to be the norm. I would totally feel like a douche if I tried to cut the line in my GT3. When driving on roads where passing is hard more often than not people pull over to let me pass. Not always (Prius drivers!), but more than not, as long as I do not tailgate them.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:52 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Colorado drivers, "sweet traffic jam, give me another gummy it may be a while"
ROW, "go go go, there's a open lane"
Old 08-01-2018, 02:10 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

The traffic in Colorado looks like that even when the right lane isn't blocked. I've never seen so many slow left lane drivers before. Especially between Colorado Springs and Denver.

Otherwise Colorado drivers are pretty good and respectful.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:22 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by manitou202
The traffic in Colorado looks like that even when the right lane isn't blocked. I've never seen so many slow left lane drivers before. Especially between Colorado Springs and Denver.

I swear those signs that say "Keep Right Except to Pass" are in Greek.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:26 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Are you sure you don’t have a Prius up in front of that line of cars? https://m.facebook.com/LeftLanePrius/
Old 08-01-2018, 02:38 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202

Originally Posted by robmypro
I swear those signs that say "Keep Right Except to Pass" are in Greek.
They weren't being orderly and polite by moving to the left lane- they were already there hanging out in the left lane before the accident.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:19 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Using all lanes until you have to merge is encouraged by the traffic authorities because it _reduces_ road rage, in addition to being more efficient and safer for all.

In the case above, the faux politeness forced the first responders to drive through a backup twice as long to get to the scene, when an unobstructed shoulders exists. (Yes, the lane was open, but they cannot come blasting down it assuming no one might veer out and presumably therefore had to travel slower for twice the distance).

If the above behavior happens in a denser traffic area, there is a good chance the backup needlessly extends across interchanges, possibly holding up other roads that may otherwise had been clear sailing for first responders to that scene, or another scene.

The CO DOT also encourages using all available lanes and zipper merging.

More from the MN DOT:

Zipper merge vs. early merge

When most drivers see the first “lane closed ahead” sign in a work zone, they slow too quickly and move to the lane that will continue through the construction area. This driving behavior can lead to unexpected and dangerous lane switching, serious crashes and road rage.

Zipper merging, however, benefits individual drivers as well as the public at large. Research shows that these dangers decrease when motorists use both lanes until reaching the defined merge area and then alternate in “zipper” fashion into the open lane.

I live in the Northeast Quadrant, so the early merge is not an issue here.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:45 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,604 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Ugh, I know how you feel, we lived in Tennessee where the late merge was considered very rude! Traffic would back up for miles like your picture all the time.

NPR had an article about the Zipper merge- it's counter intuitive but the Zipper merger (waiting to merge over until the last minute) helps traffic flow more freely and benefits everyone, including those in the lane that people you are merging into. Basically it increases the capacity of the highway.

I take this information as a 'hall pass' to do the Zipper merge as often as possible. I know it seems anti-social and Tennessee 'rude', but that is just for the unenlightened and I do it now all the time, LOL.
Zipper merge should be taught in driver’s Ed. It’s not illegal and there is nothing rude about it. It’s simply more efficient. In some states (I can’t recall if it was VA, NJ, or another place I used to live) where there were roadworks set up, the DOT would actually have signs that said “use both lanes to merge point”. They should have those at EVERY construction zone. Should be mandated by the MUTCD.

In PA, where summer roadwork on I-80 would mean 1 of two lanes closed for literally 10 mile stretches, all summer, using both lanes was seen as rude. I saw semis split the dividing line to discourage passing on the lane to be shut down. Literally a mile or more of open roadway with nothing in it. And god forbid you try to use that lane, I saw some pretty nasty behavior of cars pulling out to block people, running them off the shoulder and almost down an embankment once. Never saw a gun pulled although I am surprised I didn’t. My wife and I started calling those people “Left Lane Vigilantes” for taking the law into their own hands.

SMDH.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:30 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Ok, I live in NJ. Someone help me here. What is this crazy talk about “manners “ and “hospitality”...lol

Fugget a bout it. Just look for that empty right lane here. It won’t be there. Lol

Quick Reply: OT: You don’t see this everyday...