Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard should I push to get a replacement front lip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 11:27 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Sorry, the ADM paid is 100% irrelevant - build the relationship and express your concern. If you can pay the ADM, is it worth making a huge deal over a $250 consumable item? Or is it more valuable enjoying the car and building a relationship to get future cars at a potentially lesser ADM?
Old 07-28-2018, 10:22 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

1. The original clear bra installer was terrible, if that was “the dealer guy” that would bother me.
2. As for the front lip,just let it go, scrapes on the bottom of the lip are normal wear and tear. Go drive the car and you’ll scrape it up worse than that. Get out and use it.

Ryan
Old 07-28-2018, 05:46 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser

do you mind taking your car to my house so I can scrape it?? That’s what it’s meant to do right????? Oh how about I do 50 burnouts and leave you with 2/32 thread, I mean tires are wearables right?????? Good day
It's definitely not overreacting to compare a single minor scrape of a disposable part to 50 burnouts. Based on the OP's own description it was an accident, not the intentional abuse you comically describe.

But, since you ask, these cars were made to handle 50 launches in a row and can. I've used my launch control many times and it hasn't spontaneously combusted. I've driven my car tons too and replaced about 5 lips on this car, 3 on the last one, maybe 10 on the one before that. It's not a museum piece, it's a car. Scrapes happen. If it had been a body panel or underside of the car, I'd be asking them to fix it...but it's not.

Threads like this are why i mostly stick to mooty's value thread.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:12 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

Aero and downforce are definitely fubar now. I wouldn't even drive it, have the dealer pick it up and flatbed it back to the dealership to get those replaced asap.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:34 PM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you need some real problems if you are worrying about this.

And that PPF is hardly a big deal. Did you buy the car to keep in the garage or drive it? Every xpel ultimate I have seen eventually developed issues around the edges if the car is driven properly in rainy/dusty/sandy/windy conditions.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:43 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by shamoo
I had my dealer re-do my front end PPF film since it was done pretty badly when I bought the car. They were very accommodating and gladly took the car back to have it re-done. My dealer even flatbed a loaner Cayenne to me and took my car.

As a background, here are a couple of photos of the poor PPF application.

When the tow driver came to pick up the car, I was surprised they didn't have any "real" ramps. They used just simple 2x4s and he didn't really seem like he was knowledgeable on how to tow lower cars. Keep in mind my dealer has their own tow trucks/employees.

Here the rear diffuser fins are touching the ground. I didn't really care THAT much for this part. The old 2x4 you see on the left side kept slipping out and turning the wheel. I had to hold the steering wheel straight while he pulled it up (by the tow hook).

A few days later, the car was returned to me. Same guy. He had newer 2x4s this time. Rear diffuser fins still touched the ground.

Front end also kissed the flatbed for a few inches. So I snapped these photos.

I took a TON of photos before they took it (mostly on the body/bumper) but I didn't take any of under the lip (only the front of the lip). So of course it is my word against theirs. But this car is hardly driven (has 1200 miles on it in 8+ months). Pretty sure it was from the tow bed since a bunch of oily grease/tar type material came off when I rubbed it.

I emailed my sales guy and service advisor. Should I really push for a replacement? Or just let it go since you can't see it from the top? The lip is like $230ish brand new (at least there's no expensive "Porsche tax" on this thing) but it would seem more of a hassle for them to tow it again. Maybe they can just give me a new lip and I'll put it on. Or time to upgrade to RS lip :P.

By contrast, here's what they did when delivering the car to me new. Nice Race Ramps.

I mean I guess it isn't that bad, right?

1 - the pix you show of the scrapes on the bottom of the lip --- could have happened anytime in your 1200 miles driven, almost impossible to avoid. Move on - especially since you can't prove the scrape occurred on their watch.
2- that dealer advertising plate on your delivery is red n yellow - likely McKenna? An ill reputed garbage dealer worth avoiding, which explains the crummy film job, but they fixed it, a blessing. It also explains the truck with single width 2x4 ramps, they don't give two poopoos about your car
Old 07-29-2018, 12:57 AM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser

do you mind taking your car to my house so I can scrape it?? That’s what it’s meant to do right????? Oh how about I do 50 burnouts and leave you with 2/32 thread, I mean tires are wearables right?????? Good day
Jesus bro, chill out.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:10 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Go for the jugular.

Ask for a new car.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:19 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Go for the jugular.

Ask for a new car.
2 new cars, one to replace the ruined one and one to compensate for the mental suffering...
Old 07-29-2018, 02:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Go for the jugular.

Ask for a new car.
yes

seriously do what you think is right
but it's a cheap part
dont burn the bridge
i never had problem with BIG warranty items.
dealers LOVE seeing me go visit their service dept.
there's a reason why; YMMV

BTW i am not saying the dealer is right.
he should send a transport not a tow truck
all i am saying is pick the right battle to fight.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:48 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,983 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Your first mistake was dealing with McKenna...enough said.

Quick Reply: How hard should I push to get a replacement front lip?