Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard should I push to get a replacement front lip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 02:23 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How hard should I push to get a replacement front lip?

I had my dealer re-do my front end PPF film since it was done pretty badly when I bought the car. They were very accommodating and gladly took the car back to have it re-done. My dealer even flatbed a loaner Cayenne to me and took my car.

As a background, here are a couple of photos of the poor PPF application.

When the tow driver came to pick up the car, I was surprised they didn't have any "real" ramps. They used just simple 2x4s and he didn't really seem like he was knowledgeable on how to tow lower cars. Keep in mind my dealer has their own tow trucks/employees.

Here the rear diffuser fins are touching the ground. I didn't really care THAT much for this part. The old 2x4 you see on the left side kept slipping out and turning the wheel. I had to hold the steering wheel straight while he pulled it up (by the tow hook).

A few days later, the car was returned to me. Same guy. He had newer 2x4s this time. Rear diffuser fins still touched the ground.

Front end also kissed the flatbed for a few inches. So I snapped these photos.

I took a TON of photos before they took it (mostly on the body/bumper) but I didn't take any of under the lip (only the front of the lip). So of course it is my word against theirs. But this car is hardly driven (has 1200 miles on it in 8+ months). Pretty sure it was from the tow bed since a bunch of oily grease/tar type material came off when I rubbed it.

I emailed my sales guy and service advisor. Should I really push for a replacement? Or just let it go since you can't see it from the top? The lip is like $230ish brand new (at least there's no expensive "Porsche tax" on this thing) but it would seem more of a hassle for them to tow it again. Maybe they can just give me a new lip and I'll put it on. Or time to upgrade to RS lip :P.

By contrast, here's what they did when delivering the car to me new. Nice Race Ramps.

I mean I guess it isn't that bad, right?

Old 07-27-2018, 02:28 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. The spoiler is a disposable item. After a few spirited drives you will most certainly have some road rash on the bottom of it. If your dealer gives you a new one put it in the garage and don't replace it until it really needs it.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:33 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 68 Posts

I'd see what they say, perhaps they might give you some credit or something to compensate, I think they are only £200 or so and it's scraped underneath but not ruined
Old 07-27-2018, 02:42 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Bozos man. No respect. Its their job to pick cars up and deliver etc, I'd certainly let them know your concerns. I would lose it with him.....
Old 07-27-2018, 02:45 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

They scraped the part that is intended to be scraped instead of the bumper - find a later model GT car that doesn't have those scraped on the bottom of them. Personally, thats what its meant to do and why its replaceable. They towed the car on using the tow hook - that it the best way to do that without damaging other parts. Id drive it and Im guessing it'll be forgotten quickly by the 4.0 engine noise

Let the SA know, they will remember it down the road Im sure and make it right, my .02 cents.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:45 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 535 Posts

My opinion is different altogether as I would ask for a new spoiler and repairs to any other scraping...........ridiculous, they know they have to use a particular trailer to avoid this damage...........why should you put up with another party causing damage during a service and i.e., lose value when someone in the future wants to buy the car and negotiates for a lower price citing the scrapes as abuse or something.....
Old 07-27-2018, 02:50 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

its one thing if you did the scraping, but they did offer to flatbed it. I would ask for compensation or replacement if it really bothered you. for me i would just ask for a credit and buy something else cool for the car. painted key fob?
Old 07-27-2018, 02:54 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the same dealer that had the crappy PPF done?

If so, I would be bothered by this. Not by the fact that I have a scratched lip...your lip will get scratched sooner or later. Guaranteed. Instead, I would be bothered by the fact that this is strike two against the dealer. I always feel like dealers (and the companies they outsource to) should be more careful with my car than I am. Doesn't seem to be the case with this dealer. It always bothers me when aI dealer contracts out to a crappy PPF installer. Says a lot about the dealer IMO.

Because of that, I would mention it to the dealer and see what they say. If you don't like the response, your call if you want to escalate it, or if you simply want to just go elsewhere for all your future services, or both.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:54 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 728 Posts

That's the worst PPF job I've ever seen. I'd get my money back and go somewhere else if you still can... and have them pay for a new lip.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:00 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Appreciate the suggestions.

Yes, the PPF was pretty terrible, but I'm happy to say they did a good job on the re-application for the bumper and fenders. They outsource the work to someone ~8 miles away (I noted the mileage before/after) apparently and use Llumar.

I'm 50/50 on how hard I want to push. I'm usually pretty careful with my car so if I ever got scratches on the lip, it would happen MUCH MUCH later. I've had cars for years with no scratches there. My thinking is....if there's a scratch on the car, I want to be the one who did it.

If they can make it right some other way (throw in some accessories) that would be good too. I am looking for a frunk mat/protector thing.

I'm just confused that a Porsche dealer's own tow service doesn't carry Race Ramps all the time. The GT3 is low, but a lot of their cars are pretty low.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:37 PM
aruisdante
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shamoo
Appreciate the suggestions.
I'm just confused that a Porsche dealer's own tow service doesn't carry Race Ramps all the time. The GT3 is low, but a lot of their cars are pretty low.
The next lowest car to the GT3 is a SPSAM 911. It's still nearly an inch higher off the ground, and has a much shorter overhang, meaning its approach angle is actually quite a bit larger. GT3's approach angle is only 5.7* and its breakover is only 5*. I had to lift my GT3 back to that height to even be able to get it into my garage, forget drive it around where I live.

The front lip is a $250 part. I would inform the dealer of what happened. Best case, you get a new lip. I wouldn't make a huge deal about it though, as others have said, that lip is doing exactly what it was supposed to do. My bet is if you tell them, they'll send you the part. I wouldn't try and get anything else from them (I.E. ask for unrelated accessories), that will make it seem like it's the money you care about, not the quality of work, and will be more likely to make them hostile to the concept. Plus, replacing your part because they broke it is an operational cost which they are likely insured against losses. Giving you unrelated compensation would be effectively marketing spend, and comes out of a different budget.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:50 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Originally Posted by aruisdante
The next lowest car to the GT3 is a SPSAM 911. It's still nearly an inch higher off the ground, and has a much shorter overhang, meaning its approach angle is actually quite a bit larger. GT3's approach angle is only 5.7* and its breakover is only 5*. I had to lift my GT3 back to that height to even be able to get it into my garage, forget drive it around where I live.

The front lip is a $250 part. I would inform the dealer of what happened. Best case, you get a new lip. I wouldn't make a huge deal about it though, as others have said, that lip is doing exactly what it was supposed to do. My bet is if you tell them, they'll send you the part. I wouldn't try and get anything else from them (I.E. ask for unrelated accessories), that will make it seem like it's the money you care about, not the quality of work, and will be more likely to make them hostile to the concept. Plus, replacing your part because they broke it is an operational cost which they are likely insured against losses. Giving you unrelated compensation would be effectively marketing spend, and comes out of a different budget.
Very good point. Thank you. I would be okay with them just sending me a replacement lip.

If not, I think I can just deal with it.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:04 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 535 Posts

Why is everyone dancing around, man up and ask them to replace the spoiler....weird..
Old 07-27-2018, 04:11 PM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

What a joke that’s just pathetic on the dealers part......

Its not the hidden lip damage or even the $25o...its your fricken Gt3 getting that’s getting marginalized here F that! Nice car anyway and you deserve better sorry thats happening call 1800 porsche and tell them they’ll probably send you some swag at least....

There’s no no emoji that reflects my disgust.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:13 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

If you have to get on your hands and knees to see it I wouldn't worry about it....

Quick Reply: How hard should I push to get a replacement front lip?